[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 01:53 PM
Winter Storm Watch! 8-14 inches! WooHoo

Hope the weatherman is right.

Lots of snow and winds 15-20.

Tuesday is looking like a good day.

Charging the gopros.
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 03:00 PM

Looks like all the snow is going to be north and West of me:( Latest model shows Rhinelander area with 10-20 inches possible, but Green Bay at a measley 2 inches:( Pretty early for so much snow. Hope you can get out and play Goof:thumbup:

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 03:49 PM

I don't get any snow

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
Chrisz

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 07:40 PM

Getting up to 7 inches in Duluth! :bouncy::Ange09:

So many kites so little money! Really I'm Broke!
HQ 5.5m, 8m & 11m Apex 4
Ozone Frenzy 11m
Cabrinha Switch Blade 14m & 10m
Cabrinha Stylus 155cm
canuck

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 08:23 PM

I hope you all are able to get out and enjoy it. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Alberta is finally getting some Arctic air to freeze up the lakes and about 6 inches of fluffy snow today in Calgary. Will be good but cold Monday - 15-30kph wind with windchill at -30C

FB: Pro Foil 5.5m, PL Reactor II 3.5m, Radsail 3m
Depower: GIN Shaman 12m & 6m, Shaman2 9m (incoming), PL Venom II 13m, Venom I 10m

HQ Powerkites seat harness
Salomon snowblade 90, straight & shaped skis
PL Comp ST buggy, MBS Comp 16 Pro, Coyote All Terrain Rollerblades
BodyGlove wakeskis
Futahaguro

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 11:35 AM

I'm hoping for enough of a base here in Minneapolis, MN for some noon kiting on Veteran's day! 12-15 with gusts around 20. Early morning will be 30+ gusts:)

Ozone Samurai II w/ Turbo Bar - 5M *SOLD*
HQ Apex III - 10M *SOLD*
PL Synergy - 15M *SOLD*
Flysurfer Speed 3 - 15M
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 12:45 PM

You guys are killing me. I rode grass yesterday. GRASS DAMN IT!!!!!:mad:

Nah it was actually pretty fun and I don't know why I don't do it more. Looking forward to getting on the snow but waiting until we get something that's actually snow and not grass kiting with snow on top.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 05:27 PM

We only received 1-2 inches today and every single flake that fell melted:(:( Ground is still way too warm to accumulate anything. North of us was a different story. Lows in the teens later this week:D:D Lets freeze some water!

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 04:23 AM

FREEZE THE WORLD!!!!:o

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
IkonKiteboardingUSA

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 09:37 PM

An inch of snow and you are good to go!

Excuses for all else
Chrisz

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 02:38 PM

Lakes almost frozen over in Duluth Minnesota, should be safe by Thanksgiving!

So many kites so little money! Really I'm Broke!
HQ 5.5m, 8m & 11m Apex 4
Ozone Frenzy 11m
Cabrinha Switch Blade 14m & 10m
Cabrinha Stylus 155cm
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chrisz  
Lakes almost frozen over in Duluth Minnesota, should be safe by Thanksgiving!

Uh!:moon: I'm moving up by you.:D We're about 20degrees colder right now than last year. Not too optimistic it's going to stay this way for long. Just have to be patient I guess.

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
flyhighWNY

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 12:27 AM

Was "Brisk" tonight. Hearing that Lake Effect in "Snowbelt" could produce and/or accumulate some "Fun Stuff".

Feyd

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 03:01 PM

Looks like a good cold stretch coming for us. If we don't get too much wind it should start to set up some of our shallower lakes.

It would be nice to be on ice by Thanksgiving. :D

4w7s

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 04:41 PM

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

We're gettin some in West Michigan...wow, early winter here! Could it possible be as epic as last winter? we rode on the dunes AND in the water on 11.28.13 and then on the snow until the second week of April 2014 on the lakes, the dunes, the fields...and then back into the water mid April!...nonstop quality kiting all last winter...hoping for an encore! Sunday was my last day in the water but now it's 30F and snowing...so praying to the snow gods fr the big lake effect.They got 2-3 feet in the Upper Peninsula!!!! not too far from here.

H2O...we ride it here in any form possible...liguid or solid...just add a little wind.:smilegrin:

Come to MI this winter if you want to ride. This is a great place to get some lessons, learn, explore, and progress on the snow. Endless possibilities and easy access to man superb spots.

check out some pics from last winter
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152319154995229....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152365297600229....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152283366220229....

4W7S - Gear Sales - Kitesurfing and Snowkiting Instruction

Core - Flysurfer - Spleene - Aviso - Firewire - Atomic - Dynafit - Nordica - Sprinter
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 06:19 AM

Awesome pictures 4w7.

We just had our first snow and I'm determined to snowkite this year. The means of which I'm still deciding. I'm thinking of trying to find some skis and ski boots or modifying the buggy.

Would attaching plastic snowboards to the wheels work? I wouldn't be on lakes but I would be using it on snow covered fields. Any help appreciated.
4w7s

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 07:24 PM

thanks ssayre,

last winter there was a dude who was trying to learn how to kite on the snow/ice. he made a small "trike" out of some basic lumber materials and used some sawed off skis for the runners. after a bit of experimentation he had it going pretty well.

this guys "ice scooter" is pretty crude looking but it worked. this guy is now riding on the water with a twin tip and on the snow with a snowboard. i personally prefer skis, but to each his own.

these pics taken at one of our local lakes last winter (12 March 2014.) ...the EPIC winter...we had 30"+ ice thickness and solid riding until the first week of April. hoping for a repeat this winter!

it's been really cold here for the last few days and snowing - blizzarding lake effect snow today! maybe 8-10" accumulation by Wednesday?. possibly enough snow to ride the fields, but no ice yet. the water is still in the low 40's so it needs to cool down a little more to have any ice accretion on the lakes.

Core - Flysurfer - Spleene - Aviso - Firewire - Atomic - Dynafit - Nordica - Sprinter
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 06:58 AM

I think I just need to find a pair of skis and ski boots to get going on snow to start with. Is there any good websites that sell ski boots? Also, I'm a size 12, do I need a 29.5 or a 30.5 mondo?
rectifier

Mood: Shredding

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 01:59 PM

That thing looks like a relative of my iceboat from last winter! I went a bit fancier, but in the end we had too much snow on the ice for bladed vehicles.

Every ski boot fits differently. Don't think about buying your first pair online. I went through about 20 pairs at the local ski swap before I found one I liked! Look for a swap meet or try kijiji/craigslist first.

In my snowboard (15yrs)-> skis(1yr) transition I really liked the snowblades. They turn a lot easier and are less scary in a bail, but they drift downwind on ice due to lack of edges. They are fun in a park.
Then I got a pair of straight skis, which I haven't tried yet due to a snow shortage.

This year we have no snow, just bags and bags of cold. Tempting to hit the sloughs but with windchill down to -30 breaking through would be a rapidly fatal proposition...

Homebuilt: 1m NPW9b, 2.6m NPW21, 7m NPW21 UDS
HQ: 3.2m Crossfire, 5m + 7m Apex 3
6m Ozone Explore v2
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 02:56 PM

I tend to agree with Rectifier Ssayre. The boot is your most important piece of equipment. It is your direct interface with the rest of your gear and if your fit is sloppy, everything else is going to be less efficient. A proper fit is very important and if you were here I wouldn't even let you entertain the idea of buying a boot online. At least not without an idea of which boot (type, size and brand) would fit you best. As Rectifier pointed out, not all boots are a like. Some have a wide last, some narrow. Some are better for high instep, come aren't.

This all said not everyone has ready access to used ski equipment. Before you decide on a boot type and fit you have to ask yourself to what level do you want to snowkite? How critical the boot fits will kind of depend on the level of performance vs. comfort you're looking for. If you are looking to dabble, aren't a strong skier and just want to be able to slip something comfy on and go cruise around and get your snowkiting fix then the fit isn't going to be as critical. If you're a solid skier and planning to rip around on the verge of being overpowered all the time and driving the edge for all it's worth, a proper fit is going to be more important.

The dabbler vs. disciple question.

If your demands aren't high, the fit can be a little more generous. If you are looking for performance, a race fit will start at a boot around 2 sizes down from your street shoe size. At least that's a good baseline to start with in regards to a performance fit.

I don't know how the ski swap season, if you have one, runs in your neck of the woods. Ours is about over here. But rectifier is right, if there are some swaps it's a good opportunity to find a boot that fits and won't break the bank.

size 12 street is a mondo 29.5-30 depending on the brand. Many brands use the same shell for a size and a size and a half. They just run a thicker or thinner liner for a given size.

Liners are cheaper to make than shells.;)

4w7s

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 06:47 PM

Ya, ssayre, if you already have any skiing skill. even the basics, you will do fine with skis.

as for boots i agree a proper fit is critical. but i think if you are going to use the boots and skis mostly for snowkiting a few other considerations may be worthwhile.

boots come in all sort of stiffness and performance targets...racing, recreational, park style, etc.

imho one of the important things about boots for snowkiting is to have a comfortable and warm boot. we tend to spend a lot more continuous time riding, standing around, (or sometimes walking) when we snowkite. many race boots will be too stiff and too uncomfortable...most ski racers buckle there boots for a run down and then unbuckle for the ride up, otherwise your feet will be tortured.

i also think having light gear is something to consider. i use the dynafit system which is a "tech binding" with a pair of dynafit Titan boots, which are just fine for resort skiing and off-piste, (plus they have a "walk mode"), but not really stiff enough to win the world cup with, unless everyone else falls or blows out of the course...hahah

there are lots of good comfy boots out there and you may very well find a pair of used boots that work, but watch out for "packed" or damaged liners...which you can easily replace if you get the boots for really cheap...you can spend 150-200 for a good replacement line, which is worth the money to be honest....just make sure the shell is the right size for you.

the other reason i have the dynafit boot/binding system is that i can use them as an A/T ski and skin/xc ski into (or out of) a spot i want to kite, or even go alpine skiing comfortably with them. it's sort of a big commitment but everyone i know who took that route loves the set up. they are a little hard to find "used", but if you start looking and search hard enough you might find some. I combined the dynafit with a nice lightweight al moutain ski which is good for lots of conditions. but if you are going to be riding primarily on very icy conditions maybe you should pick a ski for that. I have other skis that I use for those conitons but only about 10% of the time.

that said, any decent skis and boots will work, it all depends on your committment level and budget.

there are tons of skis and boots for sale on ebay, craigs list, etc...and lots of good deals if you can spend the time to look. if you go to a shop and get a general idea of boot fit that might help you decide on a boot, and whether to buy new or used. but as someone else said above, finding the right fit of a boot an be tricky, and an unpleasant disaster if it's wrong.

one other important thing that i believe in is doing a proper ski prep. i see a lot of guys that don't tune/wax there skis having a hard time, especially on high moisture snow. if your skis run fast on the snow it actually enhances performance of the kite by reducing resistance, which improves development of apparent wind, and also is physically easier.

hope that helps.

we have 18" of snow in some fields here now near Grand Rapids...going out tomorow to explore some fields i've never ridden on before. the lakes have a long way to go for minimal ice...and it's supposed to rain on Saturday...:mad:...which will kill most of the snow, but maybe create a base if doesnt rain too much....and then its supposed to get cold again with some new systems arriving....

PRAY for snow!!!!:thumbup:

ssayre

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 04:45 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm basically starting from zero. I've been skiing a few times, but I'm basically starting from scratch. Most likely I will just be dabbling. We don't always get a lot of snow, but last year was good and it looks like this year might be too. I don't want to be sidelined for another winter.
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:53 AM

For just getting a taste then try to track something down that is on the comfortable side of the spectrum. I have customers that buy boots based on how they work sitting in the bar as much as skiing. Nothing wrong with that. In fact there's no point in getting a performance fit, which is always initially a bit uncomfortable as the liner breaks in, and make yourself miserable and reduce your willingness to get out an play.

4w7s had some good advice. Though for most people a Dynafit boot and binding system is a little beyond the $$$ range for riders starting out. Most of us here in the northeast have abandoned Dynafits and even Fritsche Alpine Touring Systems for snowkite because they don't offer the torsional rigidity some snowkiters need. It's mostly Duke and Guardian country up here these days.

As he also pointed out, make sure you skis are in good shape. The edges, unless on really hard surfaces won't be a critical as you bases and the wax you run. Universal waxes are very good these days as are flouro rub on waxes. Rub on wax is a great choice as you can reapply anytime and you don't need an iron or wax machine.

I hear ya about being sidelined for the winter. I was almost sidelined last winter with a shoulder problem but I don't want to miss a snowkite season. I can't afford to. Summer? More flexible and less important on the fun scale. :D

Rectifier brings up a good option. Snowblades are a blast and if you aren't dealing with deep snow a very good and affordable option. Way more user friendly to riders not really experienced with skis. They really can be a riot.:P

flyhighWNY

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:52 PM

The SNOW HATH COMETH!!!
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/19/buffalo-snow-photos-...
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:54 AM

I cannot believe how its dumping out there. And blowing! Is anyone out riding or can you even get out to ride in all that? I guess right now there are probably bigger things to deal with than getting a pow session in if you're in the snow zone. Should make for a hell of a base.

flyhighWNY

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 06:06 AM

Helped friends dig out.. Helping some more today!! Doubles all weekend. Not much where I live (25 miles to buffalo). This is typical for most grocery stores in my friends neighborhoods.

no more beer..jpg - 111kB
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 06:11 AM

omg...nothing drinkable left

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
4w7s

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 11:44 AM

ssayre....fyi, one of my friends just bought brand new Salomon boots at MC sports for $100!!! people pay more than that all the time for running shoes.

he also got a brand new pair of Atomic Access skis for $250 off ebay. if you look for deals you will find them. you don't have to spend a ton of money unless you are very specific and picky about what you want. thre are so many skis and boots out there on sale you should be able to find something good if you can spend the time looking

otherwise....we have been getting dumped on here in the snow belt of West MI. great snow conditions prevail, 18"+ in many spots, and excellent kiting the last few days...small kite conditions. TOTALLY juiced on my 6m Flysurfer Peak yesterday. USed my 5m Core LEI today, blowing 25-35 kts. snow is nice and deep and solid base. tomorrow could be good too and then a warm up and rain over the weekend. hope we don't lose the snow completely.

rectifier

Mood: Shredding

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 12:09 PM

Wow you guys have been doing so much riding that you drank all the beer :D

It has been cold and windy and our snow evaporated. Shouldn't be jealous of those with weeks of shoveling ahead but I'm looking at the dry ground and can't help but be a little jealous.

Homebuilt: 1m NPW9b, 2.6m NPW21, 7m NPW21 UDS
HQ: 3.2m Crossfire, 5m + 7m Apex 3
6m Ozone Explore v2
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 03:52 PM

I actually hope the snow holds off for a while. Were finally getting a few inches of ice on the local lakes. A large dump of snow like Buffalo would be bad news for ice formation. Besides, bare ice is great for speed runs :D

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride: