Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: speed wobble
ssayre

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 06:53 AM
speed wobble

I noticed it doesn't take very much speed to develop wobble with my skate trucks. Would channel trucks be better for this? Assuming channel trucks are better, what type or brand are good? Is mbs vector good enough?
WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 09:27 AM

It's you, not the trucks. I use Channel trucks and have gotten speed wobbles. You may need to change your weight distribution fore or aft.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

B-Roc

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 09:29 AM

Channel trucks are "better" for this but wobble is a result of poor stance/technique on the board. You are standing too upright if you get wobble. All boards will wobble regardless of the truck type if you stand directly over the trucks at speed. Channel trucks will help but the real solution is to lean back and skid/slide a tad out of the wobble. I can no longer remember if it helps to put more or less weight on the front truck (I think more) when wobble develops because its been years since it last happened to me but the ultimate solution is to adjust your stance and fly a big enough kite that it supports your weight when you lean back. Do that and you will never have wobble again.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
ssayre

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 09:48 AM

Thanks for the help! Yes, I was standing very upright and I was on asphalt so there was very little resistance. I was controlling the wobble by keeping the kite high and steering back to slow down when I needed. I was pretty stoked just to be able successfully tack back and forth. I'm really liking being on asphalt for the smooth surface. It makes for much more relaxing cruising versus my grass areas.
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 12:57 PM

Remember, may not be speed wobble, just wobble! Nearly every brand of ATB wheel doesn't come with bearing spacers, despite usually being a two-piece hub.(Actually, I don't think any do, but I'm being safe in my post there.) This prevents us from firmly tightening the bolt on the axle as tight as we could, because instead of forming a solid axle with the interior race of the bearing locked in place, we are starting with a tiny bit of slop/wobble. There is the possibility of the entire wheel being slightly loose on the axle, the halves of the wheel not being fully tight to each other creating extra vibration, little things like that really get some wobbles going, and when you're getting up to 15+ mph those little 8" wheels are spinning quite fast, really emphasizing any error in the system.

ssayre- I know you can be excited about how easy it is to get moving on the asphalt, but be careful, those falls really hurt, and since your brain knows what you'd be in for, you're going to be flying a lot less aggressively and therefore progressing slowly. You will also eat up equipment on hard stuff much faster than something softer. best of luck to you in your learning, I really enjoy the ATB, I think it's a lot better for small spots than a buggy, more nimble, easier to have fun on small tacks, plus you can't do fun toeside riding in a buggy. :D

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 01:08 PM

What B-Roc says makes total sense from my experience. I have MBS Vector skate trucks on my ATB and have only ever experienced speed wobble once. It was after I hit soft sand at speed and I am sure I got up on top of my board. I like to use a pretty large kite and lean back or squat down against the power. I never realized that this is why I don't speed wobble but it makes good sense.

Maybe you should be holding down a bit more power even though you are on tarmac. When I had a good tarmac run I had fantastic fun on my street rollerblades and 3m trainer and 4.5 Bullet. Although I padded myself right up the only time I fell it was straight back on my head when I was pretty much stopped. If you rollerblade you should give it a go. Warning, I went through wheels like crazy doing this. Especially toe dragging to check my speed.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
cheezycheese

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 01:09 PM

^^^^ What EW said.... !! Pad up, helmet up!! Asphalt is sooooo unforgiving. One little smack on the dome can cause quite a concussion. Expect to go thru tires...

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by erratic winds  
Nearly every brand of ATB wheel doesn't come with bearing spacers, despite usually being a two-piece hub.(Actually, I don't think any do, but I'm being safe in my post there.)

You really ought to step up to a TRAMPA. They got 'em.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 01:56 PM

WELD-Awesome to hear! Have you busted out the caliper to find out if they are the right size? The last time I got some with a skate deck the spacer was incorrect enough to not really be useful, too small...

Another notch to TRAMPA for doing it right....

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
B-Roc

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by erratic winds  
Nearly every brand of ATB wheel doesn't come with bearing spacers, despite usually being a two-piece hub

This is somewhat frustrating. You can walk into any skate shop in America and for $5 walk out with 4 spacers and 8 speedrings and lock down a solid channel on the axle without putting any pressure on the bearing itself. Longboard bearing wheels all typically leave something like 10mm of space for the spacer. Are ATB hubs not universal widths in the bearing channel or what is the reason no one makes these (save maybe Trampa)? I've got to imagine I put way more torque on my ATB bearings than I do on my longboards. I slide my longboards all the time but when I'm kiting, the board can be almost in a perpetual semi-slide state if holding down power. But, as I write this I realize I'm on my 3rd board and 3rd set of tires and still riding that board, and those tires on the same Crossairs and bearings I bought way back in 2006 and though the bearings have been repacked several times, they've never ceased or failed and still run quiet and true. So I guess they are either fantastic bearings or spacers (as some claim) really don't do anything for bearings.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
ssayre

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 03:22 PM

EW: I'll work on my grass skills but the asphalt is just so tempting sometimes because it's so easy. With grass, I'm going to have to learn to hold down some decent power to get anywhere. I already do with the buggy, but that's different sitting down.

B-Roc: Have you tried the longboard with the kite yet? I'm thinking that will be a little harder than with the atb because there is at least a little resistance with the tires. Longboard would offer almost no resistance I would imagine.
carltb

Mood: slick as a leopard!!

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 03:31 PM

all you need to do is stop putting all your weight over the top of the board. lean back against the kite and youll be fine

Good Winds

Carl

I FLY PETER LYNN.
I GO BIG.
I FLY HARD.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carl-the-bullet-kirton/147427...

IF YOU AINT CRASHING YOU AINT TRYING!!
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/profile.php?id=1153269341&...
[IMG]

http://www.peterlynn.com/

ssayre

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 03:35 PM

Thanks Carl, I was using it a bit more like a longboard on pavement in light wind. I was using my biggest kite and I think if I leaned back very far I would have fallen back from lack of power. I will definitely lean back more when I'm powered up.
B-Roc

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  

B-Roc: Have you tried the longboard with the kite yet? I'm thinking that will be a little harder than with the atb because there is at least a little resistance with the tires. Longboard would offer almost no resistance I would imagine.

No, I longboard when there is no wind or time to get to the beach. But I'm looking at picking up a Skimbat Kitewing so I can board or skate in tighter spaces though I'm way less comfortable on pavement than I am on the beach or grass so we'll see.

carltb

Mood: slick as a leopard!!

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 04:50 PM

you can also do a little bunny hop to help settle the wobble

Good Winds

Carl

I FLY PETER LYNN.
I GO BIG.
I FLY HARD.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carl-the-bullet-kirton/147427...

IF YOU AINT CRASHING YOU AINT TRYING!!
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/profile.php?id=1153269341&...
[IMG]

http://www.peterlynn.com/

ssayre

[*] posted on 10-26-2014 at 05:44 PM

Thanks again Carl. Great tips on this thread. Hopefully remembering these will save me from a painful lesson.
ssayre

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 02:44 PM

I just used the ns2 on 5 meter lines at the park on a paved path. Tire wear is worth it. Street kiting is easy and fun. No trouble with speed wobble this time, I kept the kite high and I weaved in and out. Street kiting with shorties is awesome because you can avoid more obstacles. :thumbup:

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio