Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hudson Valley
JamKiter

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 02:25 PM
Hudson Valley

Anyone Power Kiting in the Hudson Valley? Where do we go?
jrhook

Mood: skeptical yet hopeful...thnx Ines

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 02:48 PM

Hey, yes and the bottom line is, IT AIN'T EASY around here!

We have hills, trees, buildings and usually all the above in close proximity. The only clean wind to be found around here, unless you're on the Hudson, is in HUGE open corn fields. And that is also affected by the surrounding mountains we lovingly call the Catskills. The school fields have their size limitations and now, of course, time of day. With fall back, after school happenings and weekend games take even those out of the picture.

The best hope for us, is to get a lot of snow and seek permission from landowners to kite on their property. Offering them a waiver, or better yet, doing chores in exchange, may go a long way. Frozen lakes are popular up north and, if you aren't worried about going through the ice, offer another choice.

There is the Wildwood Buggy Bash coming up...this one will be my first, but they do it twice a year. Looks like a hoot for landkiters!

U2U me if you'd like to know where I've had good luck locally and even had my Apex boosted up. There isn't anywhere around here until winter to really make use of that 7.5m There is some pretty good static flying spots where you can get a great workout and hone flying skills if the northeast wind gods shine on us. Be ready to drop everything when that happens! - Jim

US83
PL Hornet 2m with permission
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
MBS Comp 95 & Michelin Man Padding
cheezycheese

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 04:09 PM

Where are you in the Hudson Valley...?

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
Psychotronic

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 01:17 PM

New to the sport, having the same issue! I am actively searching for possible locations here in lower Orange County. A few ideas, will let you know if any pan out.

Trampa 35º Long ATB
HQ Rush IV Pro 350
Flysurfer Peak2 6m
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Psychotronic  
New to the sport, having the same issue! I am actively searching for possible locations here in lower Orange County. A few ideas, will let you know if any pan out.

If you haven't already, you might want to peruse the Orange County Facilities Guide put out by the Parks & Rec.

http://www.orangecountynyparks.com/images/stories/PDFs/Orang...

Beatrix Pelton lives a few towns NW in Chester. She is one of the organizers of the Wildwood Kite Festival (not to be confused with the Buggy Bash), and probably has a list of fields closer to home. You can contact her through Facebook or the Sky Festival Productions website.

Knapps View Park in Chester is where they hold their yearly kite festival. It's a bit hilly, buy might still be doable.

Believe there is also a field attached to the Sugar Loaf Performing Arts Center, but it has been a while since I have visited it, so my recollection of it is kind of fuzzy, but most of the folks in Sugar Loaf are fairly laid back and mellow, so I wouldn't expect getting permission to be too much of a hassled.

If you're feeling really ambitious, you might want to check into getting permission for using the fields outside of the Mid-Orange Correctional Facility. It was closed down in 2011. 40 acres of the facility was secured within a perimeter fence, but 686 acres were outside the secured perimeter.

Contact info for the current property owners:
Michael Morse
Sr. Director, Strategic Business
Empire State Development

Bit of trivia about the prison: "This facility was involved in a controversial case in which a correctional officer, Christopher Nuttall, started taking in cats left astray in the area. In collaboration with inmates, he cared for the cats and fed them. He was suspended and later fired on charges of "contraband and collaboration with inmates". Two months later, he was hired again, with the assistance of Council 82 (statewide correction officers union)." Some things just make you smile. :D

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
cheezycheese

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 01:15 PM

Sam, you are just amazing !!

US888
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
jrhook

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 04:06 PM

Cheezycheeze, We should be riding these places! The hill looks like some decent open space...I'm checking in to what wind direction look the cleanest

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
cheezycheese

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jrhook  
Cheezycheeze, We should be riding these places! The hill looks like some decent open space...I'm checking in to what wind direction look the cleanest

Exactly what I was thinking !! Looks like we are forming a little hudson valley crew...

US888
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
cheezycheese

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 04:38 PM

Phsyco, are you on wheels or still flying static..?

US888
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
cheezycheese

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JamKiter  
Anyone Power Kiting in the Hudson Valley? Where do we go?

Jamkiter where are you located...?

US888
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
Psychotronic

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cheezycheese  
Phsyco, are you on wheels or still flying static..?

I am on wheels -- mountainboard, specifically. Knapp's View was the place I was alluding to in my post above, and I've spent much time there over the last 6 weeks or so.

So...on my Trampa board, and flying my trusty HQ Rush IV Pro 350, I've made several attempts at getting rolling there. And so far....it's not great. Most of the grass/ground there is quite lumpy and bumpy, and even pointing straight downhill, I could barely get rolling. I am waiting for sufficient snowfall to try snowkiting, as I suspect it will work much better for that.

I will reconnoiter both of the other locations mentioned above as well (Sugarloaf Arts Center and the old prison) and will report back. Also scouting another location a bit North of there and will let you know what I find. Stay tuned.

ALSO, I think I am already outgrowing my current kite and am considering the Flysurfer Peak 2. 9m, perhaps?

Trampa 35º Long ATB
HQ Rush IV Pro 350
Flysurfer Peak2 6m
jrhook

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 03:13 PM

you will absolutely need a mowed field/hill to have any hope of rolling a board with that Rush Pro and your upwind potential with that will be minimal on a landboard. Snowkiting with skis or a board could change the equation by a lot but its stability in the window will be questionable. That 9m FS ought to solve the power problem if you feel confident enough for that as your next kite! Holy mackerel, that's quite a step up!

Keep us posted on you're progress and location scouting. Come on, SNOW ALREADY!

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
Psychotronic

[*] posted on 12-30-2014 at 09:11 AM

Well, I'm a big guy at around 265 lbs., so I think stepping up to a 9m depower might be the way to go. Naturally, I will be starting a thread about it when the time comes to decide. I suspect 6m may be a tad small for me. We'll see what the kiting community has to say about it.

I agree, I'm finding that going upwind is nearly impossible for me with my current setup, so I've been doing the walk of shame quite a bit. Also agree about the stability in the window, or lack thereof. I've learned a lot over the last 2 months of doing this, not only just getting out there and doing it, but also by just reading this forum!

Trampa 35º Long ATB
HQ Rush IV Pro 350
Flysurfer Peak2 6m
jrhook

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 03:18 PM

every now and then conditions set up enough...waiting for better wind and more snow to bust out of that football field and grab more kite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HI3l0bUcg

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
ssayre

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 03:25 PM

I love it! nice job. I really like the 2013 hornet. I've been trying to get my boss to sell me his 4 meter that he hasn't used for a year now.
cheezycheese

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 04:27 PM

every now and then conditions set up enough...waiting for better wind and more snow to bust out of that football field and grab more kite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HI3l0bUcg

Jim you are killing it !! Way to go bro... I have a pair of snow blades. Give me a holla next time...

US888
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
bobalooie57

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 04:50 PM

Very nice video, Jim! Looks like the blades are working for you. Did you grow up a skier? (I guess what I'm asking is if the blades are easy to learn on?)

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
jrhook

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 06:32 AM

SSayre...Yes, the Hornet was added for its forgiving handling in janky ass wind, which is about all we get. Especially Northerns! You can put that kite anywhere! Also, it'll be great to watch the wife learn to handle some serious pull vs. the 2m which she is getting pretty good with.

Mark, more snow dude! We need more snow! When it comes, we can meet at Berger Hill if God sends us a north wind. I won't be leery of hooking in to the Apex wilth all the space over there. At the field in the vid, I would still be trying to get that off the goalpost or out of a tree. That field will improve dramatically with enough snow and a north or south wind.

I've been skiing for 100 or so years and picked up these blades on eBay on a hunch that they would come in handy for the exact conditions I had in the video. Hardly any snow but just enough. They are funner than they look! Back in my day, everyone learned to ski on short little things and slowly progressed in length each week or so. Get some blades!

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
flyguy0101

Mood: Never to old to play, but failing to play will make you old!

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 07:42 AM

that looks fun- I really need to get a kite in the air. thx for sharng

TEAMRIDER for Coastal Wind Sportsand Trampa mtn boards
www.trampaboards.com

My rides- Flexi buggy and Trampa mtn board
My engines-
HQ Scout 2m , 4m
Flexi Rage 3.5 & 4.7
PL Arcs- 10m Venom 1, 13m, 19m Venom II, 15m Charger2
aronma

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 08:37 AM

I'd like to be in on the Hudson Valley crew....If you don't mind someone including someone from NJ.

Beamer 3.6m
Flexifoil Rage 3.5m, 6m
Flysurfer Outlaw 6m, 8m, 12m
Ivanpah Buggy
AK103 mtb
Blokart Pro 3m, 4m, 5.5m
Blokart Comp 3m, 5.5m
NAPKA US05
bobalooie57

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 1-15-2015 at 09:58 AM

I hope you all will be able to get up to Tug Hill this Feb. Snow might be a bit deep for blades, though! http://tughillsnowkiting.com/rally

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
Psychotronic

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 02:03 PM

Managed to get the kite to pull me UPhill last week. I need to think about a harness, though, as my arms were beat to hell from working the kite and hanging on in 20 mph winds.

Trampa 35º Long ATB
HQ Rush IV Pro 350
Flysurfer Peak2 6m
jrhook

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 03:16 AM

Aronma - anytime but the normal unpredictability of this endeavor is magnified up here. Wind direction dictates location more so than more open space. Berger hill is a good example, IF there is enough snow, the space only works with a northerly, and that if the place isn't packed with sleigh riders. Lakes give me the heebee jeebies unless there is a tractor trailer sitting on one to assure me. Although last year we had 14 inches of solid so that wasn't a problem. When are you going back to Ivanpah?
Bob
Would love to get there, I'm registered and have the weekend off. Not crazy about heading up to places with huge lake affect snows in an old Jetta but we'll see. It just over 3 hours in ideal roads. I'd love to ride out there AND film others riding. It's a freaking awesome looking location to kite. The Norway of New York! Where do most people stay?
Psycho
The only reason I didn't have my Apex up when I shot this video is the lack of space due to just the mowed area of the field have enough snow. It's 4-5 times bigger than what I could use. I will say this though. You get a full body workout with handles even though it's a real #@%$#! trying to get your line square to the kite. Loosing track of which direction to loop the kite happens as opposed to just spinning the bar to get lines straight. More wind would have blown my arms out much sooner.
We should all get together and start a list of viable locations with best wind directions etc. I'm looking at Orange Lake in Newburgh as a real opportunity. Cheezy, have you seen that sucker? We could both be there in about 30 minutes. I saw a short vid of an iceboat on it already this year so we need to get over there and check it out man!

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
Kober

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 06:34 PM

Anyone is planning to snowkite tomorrow ??? How about locations ? Did anyone scout some spots ? I would make a trip up North if there is good amount of snow .....

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
jrhook

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 06:51 AM

Hey, just saw this...there's potentially a big enough puff brewing to float the Apex so I'm either at Esopus Ave in Kingston
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Esopus+Ave,+Kingston,+NY+1...
or Berger Hill
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Berger+Hill,+Rhinebeck,+NY...
Sunday and or Monday...hoping!!!

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
Kober

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 08:04 PM

.... No more need to go North .... We will get snow heaven in few days here in NJ .... lol ... But I am sure I will be coming your way this winter sooner or later ,,,,

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5

....... My videos!
jrhook

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 05:10 PM

Pre-Blizzard action on Sunday...my #1 accused me of PLAYING too much...is that possible?
http://youtu.be/5gqPmE4xLgs

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
Kober

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 09:55 PM

fantastic ... lol ... See you in near future ...

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5

....... My videos!
cheezycheese

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 06:31 AM

Hey, just saw this...there's potentially a big enough puff brewing to float the Apex so I'm either at Esopus Ave in Kingston
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Esopus+Ave,+Kingston,+NY+1...
or Berger Hill
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Berger+Hill,+Rhinebeck,+NY...
Sunday and or Monday...hoping!!!

Hey Jim, i have been eyeballing that field on Esopus. Is it good...? I might be able to get out on Sunday. But my blades probably need a waxing...

US888
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
jrhook

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 12:07 PM

Hey Marc, the field at Esopus Ave. is a good size IF it would just completely fill with snow! Videos I've put up show just the mowed area used for football and soccer as being rideable for now. The non-blizzard of '15 only slightly helped that situation. That's why I haven't strung up the Apex yet...just to hard to swing it past all the obstacles. I'm real close by so will keep you updated as to when/if that sucker opens up completely.

I've had decent rides with north or south winds over there. Let's keep on eye out for anything over 10mph steady...usually accompanied by gusts of 20+ but that's par for the course around here, right?

plinking around the other day with the 3.5 no less...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy6cjaFe7cc

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio