Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cape Cod landboarding spots?
jrhook

Mood: skeptical yet hopeful...thnx Ines

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 12:01 PM
Cape Cod landboarding spots?

I'll be up in Truro for two weeks soon and wonder if anyone knows of good/legal landboarding spots. Naturally, hard pack sand would be ideal, but what about mowed fields? Thanks!

US83
PL Hornet 2m with permission
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
MBS Comp 95 & Michelin Man Padding
beachrights

Mood: windy!

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 02:42 PM

Well, the feds just outlawed kiteboarding at All national seashore beaches here so forget the sand! Head to Mayflower Beach in Dennis. Northside beach, it's where I buggy.

HQ Beamer II 1.8-
Flexifoil bullets 2.5- 3.5 mine, can\'t have it!
Pansh ACE 4.0- for sale $75
Peter Lynn Viper- 3.9
Naish Aero 10.0
Naish Aero 12.0
Rockville Kite Trike
jrhook

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 02:45 PM

Yeh, I saw the hoopla going on over birds...why would they ban kiting all year...do they ALWAYS have eggs to protect? And kites really take them away from their eggs? I'll be camping at highland which is a walk to head of meadow beach....is kiting really banned thre now?

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
B-Roc

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 04:16 PM

Head of the Meadow is controlled by the nationals seashore so kiting is banned at that beach. Cross posting my response to your duplicated thread
I have a cottage in Eastham and do not board on the Cape because of the restrictions in place during the summer. You can't kite on any of the national seashore beaches. Truro is pretty rural with many private beaches that I'm likely not familiar with though the one on the ocean side of Pamet River Road is incredibly beautiful.

IMO you would need balloon tires to buggy on the Cape. The beaches on the ocean side are narrow and often with bluffs or dunes that would obstruct any offshore wind and foul a kite on any onshore wind unless the tide were out a good bit.

The sands on the bay side are really soft and often wet which means you will either get wet or need a lot of power to pull through the tidal eddies and pools.

IMO, the best beach is Skaket in Orleans or Mayflower in Dennis. Both are likely to be good and crowded when you arrive with your gear. Skaket has lifeguards which will likely not allow you. Not sure about Mayflower. There are great fields in Sandwich at the high school but that's a long commute.

Race Point is wide enough but its part of the national seashore so no go.

The cape is pretty narrow out by Truro so I can't think of any open fields but I spend most of my time in Orleans and Eastham and Welfleet.

I'd just say prepare to be disappointed or take late or early day runs when the tides are suitable and the crowds are not.

The restrictions are ridiculous but they have been in place for kites for years. They are just cracking down on kiteboarders in earnest now. I stopped brining my kites years ago (sport and power) because I was tired of having Rangers come over to me even when the life guards were gone. A 5 year old with a SLK they may tolerate. An adult... not so much.

Meanwhile, the rangers patrol the beaches on ATVs. I'm sure those motorized vehicles cause no stress to the birds on the ground :rolleyes:

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
beachrights

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 05:01 AM

I have buggied at Mayflower during "open hours" and the lifeguards have never given me a second look. The beach at lowtide has flats 250 yards or so that extend out from the soft sand and run MILES parallel along the beach.

There is more than enough room for "us" to keep clear of sun goddesses and Whiffle ball games.

I ride on both Barrows and Balloons depending on the wind.

Mayflower is your best and unfortunately, only bet during Summer for wheeled kiting. Funny how we have miles after miles of beaches but it comes down to one or two beaches for kiting!

My Avatar was taken there-

HQ Beamer II 1.8-
Peter Lynn Viper- 3.9
Naish Aero 10.0
Naish Aero 12.0
Rockville Kite Trike
jrhook

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 02:29 PM

Mayflower it is then...thanks for replies...don't think my kiting would progress far without this forum! Is this sport a hoot or what? It just seems like the rest of the world is standing still when I'm out kiting and EVERYTHING in my field of vision is moving. The sky, the kite, the lines, the bar, all of me, and the earth is suddenly multi-dimensional...love it! Anyone else be on the Cape 8/2-8/16?

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
Suds after thuds

Mood: island time

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 04:36 PM

yup, looking likely I'll be in Barnstable during that stretch.

Couple of summers ago I paddled a kayak out to a large sand bar in the harbour as the tide was going out; the sand was nice and firm, so I rode my doomwheels out there until the kayak started to float away from where I'd beached it. fun for over an hour.

I'm looking forward to as many days in the water as I can get on a 4 week daddy daughter Massachusetts vacation.

Scout II 4m
Montana VI 9.5m
Matrix 15m
F-arcs 1200 & 1600
Pulse 13m
Ozone Reo 8m
LF Envy 12m

Ground Industries Patrol 106
12.5" DOOM wheels
Crazyfly Shox 136 x42
North Nugget TT 5'2"
B-Roc

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 05:40 PM

I boogie board all summer long. Don't even miss kiting when I'm on the waves. Get a board for you and your daughter and head over to the ocean side or go to Nauset Beach in Orleans and you can ride some nice waves (assuming the sharks haven't closed the beach by then).

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
beachrights

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 07:37 PM

Looking at the tide chart Sunday the 10th is the earliest in the week you can hit Mayflower. And, I am on vacation that week soooooooo I will be looking to buggy that day too!

Now all we need is wind, no rain, and we are golden!

If you would like to meet up at Mayflower that would be good. Suds- I remember you inquiring last year too! Are you in?

Anyone else?

HQ Beamer II 1.8-
Peter Lynn Viper- 3.9
Naish Aero 10.0
Naish Aero 12.0
Rockville Kite Trike
Suds after thuds

[*] posted on 7-13-2014 at 11:06 AM

I packed my "golf bag" this morning and didn't put anything with wheels in it... I'd still enjoy meeting up in Dennis with y'all. On a day like tomorrow it would be about a 4.75 mile downwinder from the end of Indian Trail in Barnstable Harbor. that way I'd save 10 bucks in parking:D

Scout II 4m
Montana VI 9.5m
Matrix 15m
F-arcs 1200 & 1600
Pulse 13m
Ozone Reo 8m
LF Envy 12m

12.5" DOOM wheels
Crazyfly Shox 136 x42
North Nugget TT 5'2"
Suds after thuds

[*] posted on 7-13-2014 at 11:15 AM

I packed my "golf bag" this morning and didn't put anything with wheels in it... I'd still enjoy meeting up in Dennis with y'all. On a day like tomorrow it would be about a 4.75 mile downwinder from the end of Indian Trail in Barnstable Harbor. that way I'd save 10 bucks in parking:D

Scout II 4m
Montana VI 9.5m
Matrix 15m
F-arcs 1200 & 1600
Pulse 13m
Ozone Reo 8m
LF Envy 12m

12.5" DOOM wheels
Crazyfly Shox 136 x42
North Nugget TT 5'2"
jrhook

[*] posted on 7-13-2014 at 12:54 PM

Well lets keep in touch than beachrights! With my wife expressing interest ib buggies, you could be the glue that cements our next adventure for us to pursue together. After 31 years, we want to keep our activities in sync, and whatever interest she shows in kiting, I'm all over it
. Thanks for the info and lets fly! Shes going to be mastering a PL Hornet 2m and go directly to a 15m Flysurfer Speed without passing go or collecting $200...lol
buggydanny

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 06:48 AM

Is this still on for today? If it happens late enough I think I can make it. Looks like low tide is around 5, any idea on what the winds will like?
jrhook

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 07:26 PM

Walked all over at low tide to scope it out for hard pack. Some rideable land board spots but soft easterly wind. Still hopeful before the week is out and we are homeward bound back to jankyland.

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
jrhook

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 12:51 PM

Just got home from an unplugged vacation. Great time at the cape with a lot of learning about the limitations of kiting there. We did have a few great trips to dunes north of Pilgrim Lake near Truro for amazing static flying...including some huge lofting and scudding with the Apex. The Hornet is the perfect kite for my wife and I had a blast with it too. Trips to First Encounter, while enjoyable for the scenery, were less amazing as a landboarding spot. ..softish sand and not wanting to drop a kite in any of the channels of water.
All in all, very good learning trip. We are booked again 1st 2 weeks of Aug 2015.

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
hiaguy

Mood: Counting the days, and we're almost there

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 02:03 PM

Sounds like a great trip.
Could it be a warm-up session for WBB? mmmm... smooth winds, lots of hard-pack, and it's only a 4-hour drive :bigok:

Go ahead... tell me to "go fly a kite!" Please!

Howard KC67 NAPKA District #12 Representative
Fly: A quiver of Lynx' and Cores (did someone say "Pansh"?), a couple o' Arcs, and a Rev to remind me about control
Ride: PL XR+
Where: 43.857899, -78.941661 and 38.970951, -74.828922
jrhook

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 02:18 PM

Oh yes! After giving over the Atlantic side to plovers and finding tight little beaches with unwelcoming homeowners on the bay side, I'll be making every effort to get to WBB. Any updated word on this party?

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
hiaguy

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 03:04 PM

From Rich:
The fall bash dates are going to be Oct 15th through Oct 19th 2014.
This bash will coincide with the 50's weekend at Wildwood so it will be much like last fall.

The thread is:
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=28428

We stay at the Shalimar. Rates aren't posted yet, but in the past they've been $65-70 per night. Generally, Thursday to Saturday are the "busy" days, but people start showing up as early as the weekend before.

Sunday morning is typically pack-up and hit the road. Unless the conditions are perfect; then I have to explain to my wife why I'll be home a day late. :lol: Nobody's ever really anxious to leave. (Except when hurricane Sandy was blowing in. That was a fun drive.)

Plovers aren't a problem, but horseshoe crabs can be like speed bumps.

The "bash" follows the Canadian thanksgiving weekend, so it's convenient (for some) to take the 4-day week off. In the Fall, the crew from Quebec join us 'cause the lakes aren't frozen yet.

WBB is a NAPKA event, so membership is required:
http://www.napkra.org/membership.php

OK guys, what'd I miss?

Fly: A quiver of Lynx' and Cores (did someone say "Pansh"?), a couple o' Arcs, and a Rev to remind me about control
jrhook

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 02:02 PM

Well, you were all correct in the warning that the Cape isn't very kite friendly...I did get some boosting in though! Thanks again for the info. Wildwood for a few days week after next...prelude to the WBB I hope!
Cape video...
http://youtu.be/mx1fJL5aP1M

US83
Flexifoil Rage 3.5 & 4.7
Peak 3 12m
hiaguy

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jrhook  
Any updated word on this party?

Here's the most current thread:
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=29107

Glad you got some time in under the ripstop. The more time spent with a kite in the air, the better we get. So, are you booked at the Shalimar yet?

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio