Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to - Drift launch safely
elnica

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 06:11 AM
How to - Drift launch safely

I've seen so many beginners and advanced riders drift launch the "normal" dangerous way so I wanted to share this technique. We use it in all wind conditions even in 35 knots I don't have a problem with it. Letting the kite drift away from you while undoing lines is dangerous, the safety system is non-functional and it takes longer to let the kite drift out giving it more time for something to go wrong. Let the lines out BEFORE releasing the kite like shown in this video. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq3PB2G7b88

Too many kites, boards, and etceteras.
RedSky

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 06:27 AM

Thats a great way to launch but how do you know that the lines aren't crossed, did you attach the lines before you got into the water and then wound the lines back on the bar ?
elnica

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 07:02 AM

Thanks. Yes, you attach the lines on shore ensuring they aren't crossed and wind them up again. For failsafe, hook in and remain hooked in while winding up the lines to avoid passing the bar through the lines without realizing it. That way you would have to step through the lines to cause a tangle.

If you end up with the bar/lines wrapped up in the leash like I did in the video, the better way to fix it would be to undo/redo the leash rather than the bar or just attach the leash after flipping the kite to avoid that altogether.

RedSky

[*] posted on 4-29-2014 at 01:11 PM

Great technique. Makes a lot of sense to do it this way. :thumbup:
Kober

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 4-30-2014 at 09:47 PM

Thanks for sharing ... This is first time I have seen drift launch when you taking kite with you and do lines before letting it go ... maybe i try this next time when in need of drift launch ....

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
USA_Eli_A

Mood: Ozone For Life

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 09:05 AM

I had similar results...

I coiled the lines in my hands prior to launching and just let them slide slowly out of my hands..

elnica

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 09:21 AM

Quote:

I coiled the lines in my hands prior to launching

:shocked2:

Your hands are valuable assets and those lines can cut them off pretty quick. All it takes is one mistake or equipment malfunction.

PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 09:48 AM

i do kinda the same but, try not to handle any lines or detach anything, it just adds errors....

handling the bar SO much during payout, yikes! and esp. leash handling after you drop it all. ...i don't do either

i set up like solo launch, bar ON, leash ON, get kite, KEEP everything oriented, enter water, set it down(dunk it!) wait for tension, if deep put on the board. if you can stand its a non event

with super tight or high hazards for snags i handling lines like eli ,only a loop or 2, definitely pilot preference.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
loftywinds

[*] posted on 6-15-2014 at 01:48 PM

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing.
There is a local beach that disallows kite surfers due to council bans riggin up on the grass and beach above the high tide water mark. With this technique, I can now thumb the council and simply take all my gear to the water past the high tide mark, as that is another juristiction where kites are seen as water vehicles. LOL. The only problem will be how to preinflate the kite and attach the lines. I could have the lines preattached at home, preinflate the struts, take the lot to the beach, quickly pump up the leading edge and run with the lot into the water.
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 09:14 AM

Reported for spam.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
early bird2

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 06:22 AM

I have been drift launching quite a lot lately , but when the Wind is gusty and strong it could be very dangerous to drift launch . Bad things can happen very fast .
It is been very windy for the last 2 months here , I live directly on a lake and I have to drift launch most of the time , so here is what happened to me last week : I uncoiled the lines and left the kite drift , but a sudden gust caught the kite from Under and popped it up in the air very furiously , the kite had only drifted half of the lines lenght and when it made the distance to reach the full lenght of the lines it pull dangerously , luckily the kite ended up on the side of the wind window but if it would have popped directly downwind ???

Also , if there are any waves at all , the kite can and does roll over sometimes , once or twice before it reaches the end of the lines . Another thing that happened to me a few times is weeds caught on the lines making it impossible to operate the security .

So I'm going to drift launch in light to medium Wind now and on ,only , plus I will keep al slight tension on the upper front line while the kite drift to keep it Under control , plus I won't put the chicken loop on until the kite have reached the side of the Wind window and I can see everything is Under control.

Stongs gusty winds : find someone (competent ) to help or if nobody available and the Wind is strong but not too gusty : Tether.

Hope it can save someone reading this .

Ozonessssss Ozonessssss
elnica

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 06:58 AM

Dunk the kite before letting it drift like in the video. The water will hold it down. We do it in 35 knots even with no problem, super gusty doesnt matter (central ohio launch). Are you drift launching like in the video or letting the kite drift as you unwind the lines? Nothing to worry about even if the kite flipped straight downwind because your safety is fullly functional IF you unwind the lines before letting go of the kite.

If there are waves, then most likely there is a beach as well and you can simply drag launch with the kite on the sand.

DO NOT KEEP TENSION ON THE LINES while the kite is drifting, that means you are either grabing the lines with your hands or you didnt unwind all the lines before letting go of the kite. Both are very dangerous. Watch the video and launch like that. If you have soft lines, drift launching won't work very well.

elnica

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 08:15 AM

Here is a video of a "failed" drift launch. This is the guy that taught me the drift launch method. He is using a 6m RPM in 35 to 40 knots. It still launched just fine even after the kite tumbled a bit and was always perfectly safe because he used this method. When the wind is very strong there is more possibility for the kite to take off like this while it is drifting (maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 launches for me in high wind) but this is an RPM so it doesn't like to stay put like a bow kite on the water or sand. Worst thing that could happen is you have to redo your lines and launch again, which still was not the case here.

He should have spun the kite around the other way (to the right) when letting it go since the lines were on the left, that would have likely kept it from flipping too. Granted we had just tangled kites so were both very tired at this point.

https://youtu.be/I917BvLktPA

Epic comment at 2:27 "This is gonna be pretty brutal, ay"

And here is how to launch when there are waves (and a beach):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5DEltPPw-k

RedSky

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 08:52 AM

Another how not to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaD9nZlvItM
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 08:57 AM

ive seen that one before. What strikes me is he must have had the leash attached to the back of harness which is commonly done, and it drug him backwards. Why attach to the back?? Is it just to make it as hard as possible to deploy leash safety?
elnica

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 09:56 AM

That last video hs so much WRONG to it it's not even funny. That's why lessons are important. Attaching the kite to the back was the least of his screw ups. I attach it to the back with no issues, with long leashes if you attach to the front it can get tangled in your bar in a hard crash.

ssayre

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 10:17 AM

Thanks elnica. Having not kitesurfed, I figured i must be missing something.
early bird2

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 02:45 PM

Elnica , thanks for the tips .

I always unwind the lines first and make certain they are not tangled , I don't keep any tension on the lines while the kite drifts , I tought of keeping some tension on one front line while the kite drift for the future but I never did so far . Also , even when I dunk the kite (reo v3 9 meters ) water won't stay on it .

The only thing I can think of that could be an issue , is that I always walk slowly downwind and opposite direction of the drifting kite to shorten the drift time . But I never had any issues doing this so far , and I drift launch all the time .

Ozonessssss Ozonessssss
SimonMayers

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 12:03 AM

Thanks for sharing the technique. It's useful for those who is the beginner like me.
https://sites.google.com/site/drivingdirection2017/ (maps directions)
http://driving-directionsmaps.com/

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio