Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scudding not what to do
nanna&jordann

Mood: My body may grow old but i will never grow up

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 11:40 PM
Scudding not what to do

to start scudding what wind speed what size kite,i cant give myself the benefit of flying forward flat on my face to often :lol:so want to it try to lessen the chances of that happening by asking :frog:

ozone 2m ozone 3m pl 5.5 ,pl buggy 'Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it"
RedSky

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 06:26 AM

wear flat shoes. try not to use grippy shoes or you can go over. kite size depends on wind speed. lean back and enjoy.
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 06:41 AM

1st look for vids wherever you can like I’m sure you have…you have to fly what you own..be in winds you are comfy with but you need enough to generate the power…only bite off what you can chew..remember to let go instead of hanging on when things go south(avoid superman position)..i would say sand is safer and more fun too..have fun:thumbup:

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
shehatesmyhobbies

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 06:52 AM

While learning to scud, I always kept one foot a little more forward of the other to help with balance till you get used to the feeling. Now that I am comfortable, it is easy and I don't even think about where my feet are, especially on the beach. The biggest part is to relax and keep knees bent and as stated above be prepared to let go if needed.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
mougl

Mood: Stoked for JIBE!!!

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 06:55 AM

Lean back, bend at the knees (not the waist), and don't be afraid to let go if things get nuts. When I scud, I do it almost like barefoot skiing. Lean back as if you are going to sit down in a chair as you bring the kite into the power zone. Flat bottom shoes are a must.

Wear a helmet!!! :thumbup:

US357
PB: 53.1 mph

cheezycheese

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 07:33 AM

Wet grassy fields are great for scudding. Wear a pair of old jeans andtry butt scuddiing first. This way you can learn the technique. When you try it standing up, stick your butt out like you are about to sit down. This way you will be more likely to fall on your butt and not your face.

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 07:44 AM

By nature you need enough power in the kite to send you down wind to scud. The right size for the day is the one with power but not so much that you feel out of control.

Lean back and get small ! Bend your knees and push out hard with your feet. Better they go out and you skid on your butt than Superman. Same applies to land board.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
jgorm

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 08:24 AM

I made some scudding boots link Before that I used some worn out skater shoes and they worked good. You want shoes with little to no tread on them or you will end up running instead of sliding.
You'll be just fine, just go try it. Here is a video of my first scudds when I got a kite.

This is with a bigger kite and a bit more skill, but the kite was pulling very hard and my arms were falling off! I had to call it a day when my arms were so beat I could hardly put the brakes on.

2m slingshot trainer
3m beamer iii (sold)
3m twister
4m twister
5.5 twister 2013
nanna&jordann

Mood: My body may grow old but i will never grow up

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 03:06 PM

i can wear my pink nanna slippers they are semi slippery,i just got to get myself some padding now ,i should get a nanna in training sign to stick on me helmet :evil:

ozone 2m ozone 3m pl 5.5 ,pl buggy 'Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it"
John Holgate

Mood: Cruising...

[*] posted on 11-15-2013 at 02:55 PM

I don't try and scud on dry grass anymore - it's too inconsistent and hard on the ankles. Sand is the best surface - it's really consistent and it basically doesn't matter what you're wearing. I nearly always wear reasonably high hiking boots with heaps of ankle support - in sand, the tread just doesn't matter. I don't think I've tried scudding on wet grass - my grass is pasture, so when it's wet...so is the sheep poo!

A harness is good too, because it lowers the point of pull more towards your center of gravity. And fig 8's in the power zone to give you a consistent pull....just after the credits at 3.30 in this vid.... Scudding at 3.30

Libre Vmax, Alloy Vermin buggy.
Ozone Access/Method/Riot/Imps/
Born-Kite Nasa Star 2's & 3. Born-Kite Long Star 3,5,7m. Peak 2 6m.
My Music is available here: http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=jbholga...
And here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnHolgate
YouTube vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/quedecree?feature=mhee
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 11:10 AM

If you have a good clean beach that you trust not to have broken glass and such, I typically kite barefoot. My local beach I won't set foot on without my hightop boots though... When I go to Myrtle Beach with family, I scud barefoot all the time.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6