Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Something wicked - IS HERE! Check out the new backrest from AWOC.
awindofchange

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 05:09 PM
Something wicked - IS HERE! Check out the new backrest from AWOC.

The A Wind Of Change Backrest for Peter Lynn Comp, Big Foot and Comp XR+ buggies.

This is a two piece system that can be added to your Peter Lynn buggy. You can purchase the lower bar by itself or the full package that includes both the lower bar and the upper bar. The entire Rollbar and covers are made 100% in the U.S.A.!!!

The lower bar is the perfect addition to your buggy, giving you excellent back support while still allowing full motion for freestyle type maneuvers. The lower backrest is made from high strength 1.25" diameter .098 wall stainless steel tubing with 1/8" stainless mounting tabs. Not only does it give important lower back support, but also cross-braces the frame rails of your Peter Lynn Buggy for maximum strength and more stability. The lower bar has a custom made one-piece cover made from high density navy blue nylon and industrial strength velcro. It can be easily removed and washed as needed. The angle is pre-set and formed for comfort and can be moved forward or backwards on your buggy for maximum comfort and support.

For maximum support and cruising comfort, add on the optional upper roll bar (shown in the pictures). The upper bar is made from 1" diameter .098 wall stainless steel tubing with 1/8" stainless steel mounting tabs. This upper bar gives the ultimate in support and comfort and is fully adjustable for your riding style. Its design is small enough to give full motion and control while buggying with minimal interference with kite control while giving maximum support and comfort to your upper and lower back. The upper bar mounts to the lower bar and comes with its own custom one-piece cover that covers both the upper bar and the lower bar while still allowing for comfort adjustments. The upper cover is also made from high density navy blue nylon and industrial strength velcro. It can be easily removed and washed as needed.

The A Wind Of Change backrest is a complete bolt-on addition. There is absolutely NO modification to your existing Peter Lynn Buggy. No drilling, no cutting, no fabrication at all, just bolt it on and ride! It can be added to any Peter Lynn Comp, Bigfoot and Comp XR+ buggy made after 2004 (earlier models or non-PL Buggies may require modifications to the rollbar, buggy or both). Retail price is $89.00 for the complete kit as you see it in the picture. If you are just wanting the lower bar, the cost is only $59.00.

To order, contact A Wind Of Change directly at 702-736-1476 or you can order direct online at www.awindofchange.com/product/awoc-backrest.html

More images and pictures coming soon.

awindofchange

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 05:23 PM

Just a note for anyone with an older style buggy wanting to add this backrest on.

This backrest is designed to fit a buggy with a frame rail width of 20 3/16" or 51cm.
This measurement is taken from the center of the right frame rail to the center of the left frame rail. If your buggy measures this or is very close, you should be able to install this backrest with little or no problem.

The clamps are designed to fit around a frame rail of 33mm or 1.25" OD diameter. If using a thinner diameter frame rail, you may need to either add something to the outside of the rail to take up the slack, or you may be able to over-tighten the clamps to fit. I can not guarantee fit on other buggies as I have not yet personally installed one on an earlier version with the smaller diameter rails.

Also, the awesome covers were made by our own Susan (aka. NPW Goddess) and they are not only beautiful, but are sewn together exceptionally well. Great job Susan and thanks for your help.

markite

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 05:45 PM

Great option Kent
Okay here's another question - would you consider having two colour options - the blue and a black?
Did you get Susan to sew up a stock pile of blue or would it be a possibility? Just curious. When guys get the gear bag for the back personally I know far more with the black version over the blue. For you guy in the desert the black will look dusty very quickly but not as much a concern around here.
Mark

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
awindofchange

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 07:00 PM

I would need to contact Susan on this...but it may be a possibility. The reason I went with the blue was to match the original PL rails as close as possible. My main concern was to build something that was useable, strong, adjustable but also something that didn't look like an eyesore add-on, but instead looked like something close to factory or OEM. The blue was the logical choice to achieve this, but if there is material available, I am sure we could have just about any color done up.

If black is a major factor, I can contact Susan and see what it would take to have some made up. If so, it would probably be on the next production run.

kitemaker4

Mood: happy when buggying

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 08:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words Kent. They were fun to make.

Susan (npw goddess)

PKD Brooza\'s 2, 3, 4 and 5.5 meter
Libre Bora\'s 6 and 7 meter
Libre stainless full race with standard and big foot light wheels
Nasa wings: npw5 0.4, 0.8, 1.2, 1.7, 2.4, 3.1, 3.9, 4.8, 5.8, 6.9 meters
npw9 3.4, 5.3, 6.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 15.0 meters
Quadrifoil xm for sale
BEC

Mood: I have the WildWood Blues....

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 09:13 PM

What a GREAT NEW PRODUCT...Something you always see others trying to fabricate themselves. I would like to see it available in both black and blue. I agree with matching it to existing PL products (blue) to make it a O.E.M. package but...there are some that just want black.

Good Luck with sales Kent

As always a nice job on sewing fabrication too...I always enjoying seeing and reading up on the stuff you create Susan.

:thumbup:

1.8 Flexifoil Rage
2.5 Flexifoil Rage (new version)
3.5 Flexifoil Rage
4.7 Flexifoil Rage
2.0 Flexifoil Blade II
4.0 Flexifoil Blade II
6.6 Flexifoil Blade III
8.5 Flexifoil Blade III
5.0 Flexifoil Blurr
7.0 Flexifoil Bullet

NAPKA member US822
SS. Flexifoil buggy w/ both wide and std. axle Custom VTT seat

Running both Bigfoot -N- barrows
Mainekite

Mood: pray for wind

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 03:10 AM

Hey,
Looks great and just the kind of thing I am looking for, any possibility that it will fit in a PL folder +. Would be much easier than fabricating one.

Thanks
Craig

Napka US716
Flexifoil Sting 1.7
Pansh Sprint 2.8
Prism Tensor 3.1
Flexifoil bullet 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 7.0
Pansh Ace 5.0
Pansh Flux 6.0
Pansh Blaze II 7.0, 12
Venom II 10
Cabrinha Switchblade 8.0, 12.0 Crossbow 16.0
Pansh Aurora 15
Peter Lynn folder+, Rockville kite trike, snowspider
mbs core 90, mbs grasshopper,skis, snowboards, skates, surfboards, wakeboards, kiteboards
geokite

Mood: name is mud...

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 08:01 AM

Great price, I'll have to see if it fits my 1994 flexi buggy

Steve Bateman
Arcs: P:6,9,12m; Syn:8,10,12 V2:8m
PL Monster Buggy, 1994 Flexi buggy (original owner)
awindofchange

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 12:36 PM

Here's the specs for some of the alternate buggies like the folding or Flexi. The backrest is designed to clamp onto a frame rail set that is 20 3/16" wide, measured from center of the left frame rail to the center of the right frame rail (as measured at the rear axle, the frame rails actually angle inwards slightly from there towards the front). There is a slight amount of play in the backrest so this dimension could vary about 1/4" to 3/8" but that would be about it.

So measure the width of your frame rails on your buggy and if it falls within these dimensions, it is a good chance that the backrest will fit.

Because of the geometry of the Folding Buggy, I am not sure something like this would even work. I am pretty sure that something totally different would need to be designed. The other problem is that once installed, it would eliminate the possibility of folding the buggy back up unless it was removed each time....which kinda defeats the purpose of the folding buggy all together. :)

Anyways, let me know what you find out on the Flexi and it may work. :)

cyclesteel

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 04:41 AM

Nice! exactly what I have been looking for. I was going to try to build one but since moving I have not had a chance. I am going to order one in the next couple days.

PL Viper S 3.9m
Prism tensor 4.2m
HQ Rush 300 Pro
cyclesteel

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 10:28 AM

Just placed my order :smilegrin::smilegrin: I will post some pics when It gets here and I get it mounted

PL Viper S 3.9m
Prism tensor 4.2m
HQ Rush 300 Pro
awindofchange

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 12:00 PM

We'll be getting it right out to you cyclesteel, definitely post up some pics when you get it installed....and let us all know how it feels and works for you. :)

dirtslide

Mood: ready for the beach.

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 05:40 PM

I was lucky enough to get one of the backrests early in the prduction stage (thanks Kent) and have had it on my XR+ since NABX last spring . exellent product ,very comfortable and adjustable .I often pull the buggy and the wife will finally come for a ride, some filming and even read a book .She has mentioned that it is much more enjoyable with a backrest.Might save your ass in a roll over too ;)

backrest 001.JPG - 113kB

Ozone Imp Quattro 1m
Peter Lynn Vapor 2.7m
Ozone Octane 3m
Mac Bego 200,
Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5m oh yah!!!!
Flexifoil Sting 1m (rasta)
Cooper Race 3.3m
NPW 3/5m
Sky Tiger hi 40,60
Sky Country Reflex 2/4/5/6/8.5m
Peter Lynn Vibe II 1.3m
Peter Lynn Voltage 4m
Peter Lynn 2014 Reactor II 2.8/4.4/6.8m
JOJO RM+ 5m, 10m thanks Jimmy
Flysurfer Speed 1.5. 17m
OG 1992 Peter Lynn comp buggy
Flexifoil Scout freestyle buggy
Ozone Instinct 3m
Naish Cult 7.5m
Ozone Edge 9m
Sysmic S1 Impact XXL race buggy
Peter Lynn/ David Sabilino Chopper buggy
dirtslide

Mood: ready for the beach.

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 06:00 PM

now we can see how it looks in black.

backrest 002.JPG - 184kB

Ozone Imp Quattro 1m
Peter Lynn Vapor 2.7m
Ozone Octane 3m
Mac Bego 200,
Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5m oh yah!!!!
Flexifoil Sting 1m (rasta)
Cooper Race 3.3m
NPW 3/5m
Sky Tiger hi 40,60
Sky Country Reflex 2/4/5/6/8.5m
Peter Lynn Vibe II 1.3m
Peter Lynn Voltage 4m
Peter Lynn 2014 Reactor II 2.8/4.4/6.8m
JOJO RM+ 5m, 10m thanks Jimmy
Flysurfer Speed 1.5. 17m
OG 1992 Peter Lynn comp buggy
Flexifoil Scout freestyle buggy
Ozone Instinct 3m
Naish Cult 7.5m
Ozone Edge 9m
Sysmic S1 Impact XXL race buggy
Peter Lynn/ David Sabilino Chopper buggy
awindofchange

[*] posted on 12-14-2012 at 01:15 PM

You asked for it..............

Ok everyone, I talked to NPW Goddess (Susan) and she has said that it will be possible to make a cover for the backrest in not just black, but also some really awesome CAMO! So it looks like we will be able to offer the backrest in a variety of colors.

PL Blue
Black
and Camouflage

Hopefully we will have the new covers within a couple weeks. I will let everyone know on the progress as we get closer to getting these new covers done. The Blue is already available today.

BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 05:58 AM

This is pretty cool. A much needed improvement on the PL buggies.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
cyclesteel

[*] posted on 12-15-2012 at 08:57 PM

Kent I received the backrest today looks pretty cool.
A quick question though. I had to take the rear axle off to mount it but after I mounted the backrest I was unable to get the rear axle back on. I I stood the buggy on its side and put my weight into it but just could not get the bar to line up. I noticed in you pics you have the bar mounted further towards the front. I might try that tomorrow and see if it gives me enough play in the back to get the axel on. Hope it will not be too much of a pain to take the axel on and off with the backrest because that is the only way I can fir it in my car.
Also should the backrest mounts sit flush with the side rails? I have a pretty good gap on each side.

PL Viper S 3.9m
Prism tensor 4.2m
HQ Rush 300 Pro
cyclesteel

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 07:22 PM

Still a no go . I tried moving it to different positions. I think it is just a little too wide and does not give me enough room to get the axle on. I am going to send Kent an email make sure I am not doing something wrong.

PL Viper S 3.9m
Prism tensor 4.2m
HQ Rush 300 Pro
awindofchange

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 01:51 PM

We're working on the issue via e-mail and should get it fixed up right away. cyclesteel's buggy seems to be slightly different than the normal XR+ buggy. We should be able to get a fix for this no problem though. :)

BeamerBob

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 04:29 PM

Oh wow. This is a dimension that could float a few inches either way and most would never notice it. This might be the first time anyone has noticed that one might be different than another.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
awindofchange

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 11:37 AM

I measured about 10 different buggies before setting on the actual width of the backrest. It is right in the middle of the measurements and we did allow for a variance of up to 2" overall between the buggies at the frame rails. Because the rails can be moved in or out, most of the time people would never know there was a difference between one or the other. This is the reason that some rear axles seem to be quite tight to get on and off, and others tend to just slide right off without any issues.

The backrest is designed with the mounting tabs pointed outwards at a 45 degree angle to allow for the differences in the frame rail widths. Even if the rails are 2 inches narrower, the backrest should still be able to be installed without mods. The other issue is that the frame rails on the PL buggies are not parallel, they actually slant inwards as they move from the rear axle towards the downtube, meaning they are narrower towards the front than the back. Again the way the tabs are mounted on the Backrest will allow for about 8 inches of adjustment forward and backwards to compensate for this.

BEC

Mood: I have the WildWood Blues....

[*] posted on 12-19-2012 at 07:08 PM

I don't know if the same thing is happening on the PL buggy, but if I tighten the two bolts on my downtube that hold siderails on there is no way I can put the side rails into the rear axle..either on my standard or wide one. (flexifoil) I have since learned to engage the siderails into the axle with the bolts on the downtube really lose, then when all the nuts and bolts are on I start to tighten them all up.
That pic looks exactly what my buggy looked like when I had bolts super tight on the downtube and tried to engage the axel. I thought I bent something.

Hope that helps...I don't have all the answers.... unless addressing Mrs. Clarke.

1.8 Flexifoil Rage
2.5 Flexifoil Rage (new version)
3.5 Flexifoil Rage
4.7 Flexifoil Rage
2.0 Flexifoil Blade II
4.0 Flexifoil Blade II
6.6 Flexifoil Blade III
8.5 Flexifoil Blade III
5.0 Flexifoil Blurr
7.0 Flexifoil Bullet

NAPKA member US822
SS. Flexifoil buggy w/ both wide and std. axle Custom VTT seat

Running both Bigfoot -N- barrows
Rebel

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 06:45 AM

Hey, do you also ship to Europe? ( belgium)
I have 2 Peter Lynn buggy's, that i want to support with your backrest system.
Diameter tubes +/- 32 mm and the center of the tubes = 51 cm.
Greatings:)
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 10:00 AM

Here is a link to Kent's shop for a quicker response.
http://awindofchange.com/

He is very accommodating and I would expect he will ship to Belgium .

If I am right this backrest is designed for the Peter Lynn . Did you check ahead to confirm it will adapt to the Flexifoil ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Rebel

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 11:44 PM

Ok thanks, I try to contact him. :thumbup:
awindofchange

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 08:34 PM

Thanks everyone, the backrest is designed for the PL bugs although some have put them on Flexi's too with a little modification. Right now production on the backrests has been sidelined while we set up our new production facility. It will probably be about 6 weeks before production resumes. We just sold out our last one from the previous batch so right now we are sold out.

Shipping worldwide is no problem. We have sent many packages to Belgium. Shoot over an e-mail and I will let you know the minute we are back in production again.

bobalooie57

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 08:38 AM

Hi Kent, I just went to your site, and the backrests are not available at this time. :( Will you be resuming production soon? I'm looking for just the lower section with cover to fit a Bigfoot+. Thanks, Bob

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
awindofchange

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 10:02 PM

They will be available soon...hopefully. We have moved to a new location and it has taken much longer than expected to get my shop back up and running full force. Because of this we have temporarily suspended sales on the backrests....because we don't have any more made up right now. :(

We will put them back online as soon as we get some more built.

Thanks.

PistolPete

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 08:16 PM

Good news Kent! I'll be looking to get one too :thumbup:

NAPKA-US28

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio