Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: speed4 Review, what's it like?
powerzone

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 05:04 PM
speed4 Review, what's it like?

a little overdue...but here's the glimpse of the S4 performance

1st thing you notice is the amazing stability. i've been flying psycho3 10m,8m,6m because in high wind they still seem the most solid in the sky, more than any other flysurfer model imo. the speed4 has equal or greater stability, zero luffing & surging, zero tip tuck, zero overflying, zero backstall.

next thing to note is the kite is just incredibly easy to fly. totally cushy in gusty winds. moderate bar pressure, kite feels good and turns nicely fast, very responsive, good depower & gust munching. again in 18-32kn gusty punchy wind, the 10m S4 was easier to fly than the psycho 8m.

typical awesome speed hangitime, similar timing on the jumps of the other speed models. fast re-directs, easy to downloop the landing etc.

no backstall so you can fly unhooked no prob while fully trimmed out.

what dont i like? only 2 things but they have nothing to do with performance. just personal taste.

the bar leader lines should have a ring at the end like the other kites so you can disconnect the lines from the bar... right now the lines and the leader are tied together and you cant undo them without threading the whole line.

wish there was a FDS possibility.... i'll look into adding connection links to the canopy on my own kite to see if a FDS can be implemented.... im just not too keen on the FLS thats all. it works good i just like the FDS better.

well flysurfer did it. its the perfect blend of psycho and speed performance.... now ive had some time on the speed4, i think i could replace my 6m,8m,10m psychos with the speed4 8m and 10m. i flew the 8m psycho powered up in the same wind i rode the 10m speed4 without trimming the strap, very comfortably and easier with the gusts. big range and big......big jumps.

john

Pacific NW Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center

www.powerzonekitesports.com
shaggs2riches

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 05:52 PM

Nice review. This was on water I'm assuming?? Sounds like this will be nice out here in the prairies where there is nothing but gusts. Do you see any possible low wind gains once the big boys get released next year??

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
stetson05

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 09:15 PM

Can I be first on the list of pass the S4? :lol:

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
powerzone

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 10:58 PM

as far as i can see the S4 would actually be great inland... i havent felt another flysurfer do what this kite can do in the gusts. it surges foreward but with the triple depower you aren't yarded off your edge.

sk8board

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 03:24 PM

John, I would like to hear your comparison of the low windrange between the 10m Speed4 and 10m Psycho3.

Also, I agree with you about the Psycho3 being a very stable kite. Was the Unity more stable than the Psycho3? How does the Speed4 compare with Unity for stability?
powerzone

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 06:54 PM

comparing the 10m sizes:

S4 more top end , like 1 kite more top end. longer float, better upwind, better gust munching, about same bar pressure, same stability with the tips, better bar, simple, unhook-able. edge into a gust and the kite leaps foreward but doesn't yank or overpower

P3 for me top end is upper 20s right where the 8m is getting good. flies more in-the-window, good upwind but not as good as speeds, good grunt, requires maintenance to keep flying good, trim in to unhook. handles gusts good but you definitely feel em and it pulls HARD

unity was about as stable, yes , but its harder to drive it to the window in gusts, and it just doesn't jump like psychos or speeds... its a wave kite and i like to jump so its not for me. i got bored on the unity

PS i have 1 standard fabric 10m left from a pre-order that fell thru ;)

sk8board

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 07:38 AM

Thanks John,

Have you had a chance to compare the low end of the wind range between 10m P3 and 10m S4?
powerzone

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 10:19 AM

low end is about the same, but they feel different. the speed2 and psycho3 have more grunt and the S3 and S4 feel less direct. but the apparent wind kicks in right away to achieve the low end power. careful not to choke it out though, you cant ride the newer speeds like the older kites

Brendon77

[*] posted on 6-13-2013 at 10:48 PM

hi powerzone!
I read your post is so nice and i agree with you. Once time i try with my friends, its really amazing and your feeling is like a kite, thanks for share information.

plagiarismsoftware.net - plagiarism checker software
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by powerzone  

the bar leader lines should have a ring at the end like the other kites so you can disconnect the lines from the bar... right now the lines and the leader are tied together and you cant undo them without threading the whole line.

Could you post a pic of this?

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 07:56 AM

sounds good, any chance S4 will be produce in 12/13m?

i certainly have enjoyed the P4 12m, really an amazing unit.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
johnson33445

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 03:41 AM

thanks my friend...

pagerank tool | http://www.marinabaysandssingapore.net/
duvetion

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 05:36 PM

Speed 8-10 and lotus are completely different. New lotus are a complete improvement on Speed3 in every reguard, lighter bar, more stable, more lowend, more depower.There is no way someone that liked the speed3 would not be happy with the lotus. 8-10 are like a different model of kite, heavy bar pressure ,more pyscho than speed.
grigorib

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 12:02 PM

Riding on water Speed4 10m standard fabric. A godly kite, wide wind range, super lofty, great upwind, less pulleys than Speed3, simple A/B/Z bridles only, "ribs" on leading edge.
Love it.
Proletariat

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 11:32 PM

I fly my 10m on inland horrible winds and it's my go to kite. The Speed 3 is a little more finicky than the S4, but the S4 just depowers so well and is so fast and stable that gusts aren't nearly as big of a deal as they were with, say, the psychos.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio