Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Anybody sad that snowkiting season is over?
Chrisz

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 06:42 PM

Still kiting here in Duluth Minnesota although my days are numbered. Fishing opener is in less than 4 weeks, likely to be ice fishing, wishing for global warming...

So many kites so little money! Really I'm Broke!
HQ 5.5m, 8m & 11m Apex 4
Ozone Frenzy 11m
Cabrinha Switch Blade 14m & 10m
Cabrinha Stylus 155cm
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 07:22 PM

I could have extended my season by driving north, but obligations are keeping me closer to home. Green Bay was spared from the recent snow you guys got. Not a flake of snow anywhere around here, just lots of rain to keep things muddy.

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 01:04 PM
back to the beach

yeah....

...but had one of the best seasons since I started because of below average cold. Had many, many days on my lake so I cannot have any regrets. Will miss it during first heat wave:bisou:

Hoping for a super cold winter next year.

Time to focus on the beach and dream of onshore breezes....
pongnut

Mood: Land and snow figured out... water?

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 02:17 PM

This was only my second year on snow, but have to say this was pretty much a total loss this season - small little teaser snowfalls and lots of wind kept the ground and ice pretty much exposed all season. Just in the wrong spot on the globe this season I guess :(

2m Radsails Pro (from crazyherb), 2.1m Symphony Beach II (from Amazon), 3m HQ Beamer IV (from K-Bid), 4m Pansh Flux (from garydog), 4.7m Flexifoil Rage (from mougl), 5.6m PL Twister IIR (from Big Mike), 6m Flysurfer Peak 1 (from Flysurfer USA), 11m HQ Neo II (from kiteplace), 19m PL Venom II (from Smeagol), MBS Core 95 ATB (from Overstock.com), couple of ROSSIGNOL snowboards w/ SIS "click" bindings
Kiteflyer933

[*] posted on 4-21-2014 at 03:38 PM

Who's sad??.....Nine more months to go and it's Snowkiting season again!...lol....yes there is free Wifi at at Quinte Bay Ski Resort with free entrance too 24/7.:D

Kites:
HQ Matrixx - 9m
HQ Montana 4 - 9.5m
HQ Hydra 2 - 3.5m
Pansh Adam - 5.5m
old Stunt Kite

Toys:
downhill Skis
Ski blades
Jetski (2010 Seadoo GTX); for windless days

Feyd

[*] posted on 4-22-2014 at 04:02 AM

My last day of the ice season last year was April 23. I might get one more speed session in up north on Thursday if the ice holds. A whole month longer snowkite season this year, amazing.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
canuck

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 11:53 AM

Another May snowfall warning for Southern Alberta has 10cm (~5inches) of fluffy snow covering our brown Calgary grass this morning. Too bad for the soccer and baseball teams that had season openers today. Now the wind just has to show up:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

FB: Pro Foil 5.5m, PL Reactor II 3.5m, Radsail 3m
Depower: GIN Shaman 12m & 6m, Shaman2 9m (incoming), PL Venom II 13m, Venom I 10m

HQ Powerkites seat harness
Salomon snowblade 90, straight & shaped skis
PL Comp ST buggy, MBS Comp 16 Pro, Coyote All Terrain Rollerblades
BodyGlove wakeskis
kitesleder

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 06:24 AM

It was a banner winter here in the Okanagan Valley B.C. For sure over 600 km. on the ice.

http://youtu.be/41e-B9kCwqQ

12m Flysurfer Speed3 DLX.
12m Flexifoil Sabre2
10m Ozone Access2
8m Access XC
5m Ozone Flow
3.6m HQ Beamer

PL KiteSled
PL Comp.XR+ Buggy
VV Boutique Skis

Prussik

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 08:45 AM

Unfortunately this white muck destroyed (for a while) great conditions on the lake. But it should be back to normal in a few days.
canuck

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 09:48 AM

Are you still out on Ghost? I have been laid up for April and need to get out and snowkite again. Conditions at Spray look good still too.

Depower: GIN Shaman 12m & 6m, Shaman2 9m (incoming), PL Venom II 13m, Venom I 10m

BodyGlove wakeskis
Prussik

[*] posted on 5-8-2014 at 07:04 PM

It is no longer possible to get to the ice at Ghost. All the water from the recent snow contributed to the shore melt but the ice was getting badly candled anyway. LDA also melted out quite rapidly. That leaves Spray. I haven’t been there since the last snow and will have a look soon. Would not be surprised to find some surface slush which can be quite treacherous if it is firm enough to hold you up MOST OF THE TIME – not looking forward to another face plant into slush. But, as always, the Icefield will remain dry since it has good drainage and should be good for a few more weeks after the lake is gone - if you like short reaches and lots of jibing as I do. Less dependable wind and the tendency to cobblestones towards the end is another matter.
canuck

[*] posted on 5-9-2014 at 07:15 PM

Thanks for the update, I am thinking of going to Spray tomorrow.

BodyGlove wakeskis
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 11:45 PM

Yep, that time of year again when I get the blues. Almost a month has gone by since I've skied the snow/ice and I miss it horribly. My depression is starting to lift a little with the coming of summer, but I'm still a little sad. At least this year I can look forward to learning water as soon as it warms up. Water temps are still 40F here and all I have is a 4/3 wetsuit, so it will be awhile yet before I can dunk myself. Anybody else having withdrawals?

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 02:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddarhead  
Yep, that time of year again when I get the blues. Almost a month has gone by since I've skied the snow/ice and I miss it horribly. My depression is starting to lift a little with the coming of summer, but I'm still a little sad. At least this year I can look forward to learning water as soon as it warms up. Water temps are still 40F here and all I have is a 4/3 wetsuit, so it will be awhile yet before I can dunk myself. Anybody else having withdrawals?

Cheddar - right there with ya brotha. I see that this thread has been open a while. Seems you have this sad feeling on, well, an annual basis. Snowkiting went to the wayside for me about 4-6 weeks ago but our local ski hills only closed for the season this past Sunday. I was telemarking this season (a first season for me) so my most acute recent loss is my free heel freedom.

To overcome this loss I'm getting myself into kite skating. I like to buggy, like it a lot in fact, but I really got a taste of the honey with this first season of snow kiting and I'm hungry for more. I'm hoping as I dial in my gear (both on my feet and my "plastic courage" body armor) that I can make a big go at kite skating as a sort of semi crossover from Snowkiting. I know it won't be the same, but at least it will be standing up, angulating against the pull of the kite and moving. Have you ever given this angle a thought?

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ssayre

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 03:42 AM

Steve and rob, have you thought of inline skates and peak on short or half line. I've used the peak on both handles and hooked in with regular bar on a longboard, but you guys might prefer the inline to emmulate skiing more. You can take advantage of light wind. Finding a spot is a little tough but not as hard as you might think. Light poles are not to be afraid of. They actually make it fun and are fairly easy to steer the kite over or around. You can also use the light poles to land.
Windstruck

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 04:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
Steve and rob, have you thought of inline skates and peak on short or half line. I've used the peak on both handles and hooked in with regular bar on a longboard, but you guys might prefer the inline to emmulate skiing more. You can take advantage of light wind. Finding a spot is a little tough but not as hard as you might think. Light poles are not to be afraid of. They actually make it fun and are fairly easy to steer the kite over or around. You can also use the light poles to land.

Good suggestions Sean. I'm absolutely planning on trying my Peaks on handles. Ive got some handles rigged right now with 20m lines but I also have a nice set of 5m lines that I use as my line extenders for my 12m P2 for eeking out just a bit more umph on extra light wind days.

I've yet to see an adequate explanation about how to "half-line" the peaks but I'm open to trying that too.

From your description I'm thinking you are considering sending me to a skinless convalescence after attempting kite skating on pavement. Agreed that the flag polls would make for nice kite landing posts but the rest of the picture sounds wrought with danger, at least until I am highly proficient. Me, I'm sticking to grass for now with loads of "plastic courage" (nod to John aka cerebite) all over me.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ssayre

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 04:41 AM

Admittedly, I would be concerned wearing inline skates since you cant just step off like on longboard. The key to pavement for me is I don't go for high speed well powered sessions but rather fluid carvy sessions where I can go non stop with seamless transitions.

As far as half lining the peaks, I agree. The 1 and 2 have a different configuration so I'm limited to thinking about it as it pertains to the v1. On mine, half lining looks fairly straight forward EXCEPT the safety line. For me this requires a good half hour of undoing and fiddling with whether I would half line (which i haven't done yet) or switching my linesets completely which I have done. Right now until I learn otherwise, switching lines or half lining would take about the same time due to the safety line farting around.
canuck

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 08:09 PM

Head north and west for your snowkiting fix! I think Prussik might still be snowkiting daily at Spray lakes. There might be fresh snow there tomorrow morning! When Spray is done he heads into the alpine.

I decided to put my summer tires on the buggy since it has been Summer in Calgary for a few weeks but still hope to get one more snowkiting session in.

BodyGlove wakeskis
Prussik

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 06:38 PM

After a few months of above average temps. and 2/3 of ice of the last season and 1/2 of the season before, we'll have the end at least 1 month earlier than normal. So, with 119-th day today, it does not look like the usual 130+ will happen without continuation on Plateau Mt. Recently I moved from the lake to the icefield. The dark spots on the lake began to candle so even though 95% was still good it was prudent to end it for solo outings. The change of scenery has some benefits. No more fast rides, rather you have to deliberately look and plan ahead and finesse your way around dips, depressions and occasional dirt spot. Some dips are quite deep and steep and not traversable and have to be avoided. Combined with often fluky wind it makes for challenging but interesting kiting. Normally the surface tends to get cobbly at this time but this year it is nice and velvety not far off from launch. Space gets reduced every day now but it should be usable for a few more days with a lot of nice jibing.
skier

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 08:28 AM

Still plenty of snow above treeline in Colorado....just gotta skin for awhile to get there. Last weekend rode up this ridge at Berthoud Pass from treeline several times for some great corn skiing. Nice turns on the up and down. Not a great spot for winter kiting as the winds are high and gusty, and the snow doesn't normally stick like this until April.

IMG_2074_.jpg - 196kB
Windstruck

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by skier  
Still plenty of snow above treeline in Colorado....just gotta skin for awhile to get there. Last weekend rode up this ridge at Berthoud Pass from treeline several times for some great corn skiing. Nice turns on the up and down. Not a great spot for winter kiting as the winds are high and gusty, and the snow doesn't normally stick like this until April.

Nice! Cool to see you guys still hitting it in CO. The season is long gone in UT, at least that which is easily accessible. I've got a ski buddy (not a snow kiter) who is still skinning up for lines in CO too. By your pictures it just looks as if you have more still on the ground than we do over at the Wasatch Front. Good on ya!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Feyd

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 10:10 AM

We still have snow here up high for some pretty limited patch Kiting. I'm too old and jaded to hit it these days😁

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio