Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestion for Admin and NOOBS
windhunter

Mood: RESPECT THE WIND

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 08:28 AM
Suggestion for Admin and NOOBS

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this suggestion but the Admins can move it if necessary.

In a U2U with a member that I consider to be a solid contributor to PKF, we discussed a recent post in which we both agreed the advice and info was a bit questionable. The post and or names are not necessary as this is not the purpose of this suggestion. As a noob myself I have poured over the whole forum for infomation and advice that is needed to choose what is specific to my needs as far as kite size and type. My suggestion stems from the comments of this member and his concern about answering the same stuff over and over and the fact questionable advice may not be in the best interest of the sport or it's members. The few short months I've been around I've seen similar if not the same questions ask by new kiters over and over again. Although most always answered with quick and specific responses I see where it gets to be old for the grandfathers here to answer the same old stuff again and again. In an attempt to keep this from happening and hoping the members and Administators don't take any of this personal. Maybe some of the older and great post, answering these Noob questions, could be compiled and a permanent or sticky (I guess their called) posted for these never ending Noob questions. Helps the Noobs find general answers to typical questions. Lets the seasoned members consentrate on more specific questions and avoid burn out.
As for all my brother Noobs out there, If your really serious about this sport then spend some time doing some research, use the search function, then you'll have some "good" questions to ask. And I'm sure they will be answered.
As for all the "Grandads" as I'll call you, I'm sure you know you are the backbone of this great sport. Keep up the great work. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly accepted.

Flexi Sting 1.2m
Sensei 3m Trainer
Beamer 1.4m,3m
Viper 5.3
Maybe a more bigger kite!!!!
ETC...ETC..ETC.......
Land Lizard
This #@%$#!$ IS CRAZY ADDICTIVE
Drewculous

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 08:45 AM

There is a sticky for noobs in the kites section... Lol no one ever reads it tho, and the same questions are always poping up... Angus also has a great write up that I think should be transposed here and stickied...

Its all good, misinformation pops up all the time, and is quickly labeled as such...mistakes help people learn too

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
dylanj423

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 08:51 AM

its not a bad idea... i know i have grown complacent answering questions because i got tired of typing the same stuff over and over... but i think its application might be beyond the scope of some (fantastic) admin volunteers... besides kites/models/boards/equipment in general constantly change

also, sometimes someone new to the sport with very little (and in some cases zero) experience thinks that they have amassed enough experience to give advice to new fliers... sometimes this advice is questionable, and sometimes it is flat out wrong...

i would hope that anyone spotting something like this would speak up on the offending thread, that way it would make it known that whatever advice might be questionable...

as someone who has done such, i would encourage others to do so as well, IF they have adequate personal experience... dont worry about a posters personal feelings in regards to giving bad advice... remember that bad advice in this game can mean flushing hundreds of dollars down the toilet, or even serious injury to a flier or bystander...

the sport and the newcomer are more important than that... as a forum, it is ultimately up to us to sorta police ourselves sometimes.... also, a new flier has to ultimately take responsibility for their own decisions...

lets face it, this is the Internet and everyone wants to play... sometimes people give bad advice, and whoever is doing the research surely has to understand that before pulling the trigger on any course of action

WHAT I FLY:
Flysurfer Soul v2 12m, Soul 15m, Soul v2 21m

Flexi Rage 1.8m, Jojo RM 3m, Flexi Blurr 3.5, Flexi Blade 4.0m, Flexi Blade 4.9m, Flexi Blurr 5, Jojo RM 6m

WHAT I RIDE:
Kite Skates, Libre Full Race, GI Conflict 106, OR Mako 140, Spleene Door 159

What I Am In The Market For: Peter Lynn Vapors, Weatherproof Kite Buggy Bag for Libre, PL or Flexi Small Buggy to Tow With, Flexi Pro Link Handles, Flexi Lines, Flexi Kite Killers
kiteboyza

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 08:54 AM

Yes, this does happen all the time. Problem here is everyone thinks there brand is the best, lots of shopkeepers to. On another UK forum they mark users as brand reps (sponsored etc) and the same for shopkeepers. Then you can see if someone is trying to push product or sell stock rather than give a fair judgement and advice. This does not go for all shopkeepers though.

It's a shame we live in such a big country and travelling cost a fortune, back in the UK most of us reps would get together on a beach once every two months and have a demo/taster day for newbies/wannabe kiters.

SOBB will be the next event for newbies to come and have a try :wee:

Retired Pansh Racer, comes without instruction manual
ripsessionkites

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 08:55 AM

<--- questionable at times.
(would you take advice from someone who looks 4)

windhunter

Mood: RESPECT THE WIND

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 09:11 AM

LOL if he's been kitein for 4 years.....OK three maybe thats still longer than me

Flexi Sting 1.2m
Sensei 3m Trainer
Beamer 1.4m,3m
Viper 5.3
Maybe a more bigger kite!!!!
ETC...ETC..ETC.......
Land Lizard
This #@%$#!$ IS CRAZY ADDICTIVE
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 10:00 AM

As Drew said, there are "stickies", but sometime (often) they get overlooked due to enthusiasm ("I saw the coolest thing this weekend... I want a powerkite NOW!!!" :singing: :singing: )

It's been discussed before but a lot of times, people registering for the forum are remiss or reluctant to include their location. It's doesn't need to be the exact GPS coordinates to your back porch, but state or even county info always makes it easier to match up new fliers with others in their area. If nothing else, this makes it possible for them to try out gear before spending money on something that might not be a good fit for them.

We've had a few people looking for kites and suggestions have been posted before it becomes clear that they are in a country where shipping would be prohibitive.

There are periods of times where questions regarding.. "First Kite", "First Board", "First Craft Capable of Interstellar Travel" hit the board with a scary amount of frequency. It's often enough, that you start to wonder how many people are using the forum's search function. I expect there are a lot of times where peoples questions are just a few keystrokes away.

And so it goes....

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Drewculous

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 10:31 AM

Lol it took me a year to figure out the search function!
Must select "the beginning" in the timeline :lol:

Sticky that!

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
flyjump

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 10:47 AM

I agree with what you guys are saying. But, in the school district that i work in we have a saying "don't do something for the student, that they can do for themself"

its good to give the right advice, but if they aren't going to listen they need to make mistakes to learn on their own.

indigo_wolf

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyjump
But, in the school district that i work in we have a saying "don't do something for the student, that they can do for themself"

its good to give the right advice, but if they aren't going to listen they need to make mistakes to learn on their own.

Agree with that up to a point. Some traction lessons are a bit harsh for folks to learn on their own. A minty fresh credit card with an untapped limit and and harried shop owned (or electronic cart) are all that are required to get in over your head.

I suspect there are very good reasons why most schools keep sulfur and magnesium under lock and key (and 00 steel wool and ferrocerium experiments are purely independent study).

That said, there have definitely been a couple of instances where all you could do was "cross yourself" and tell the person: "Go with God."

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
flyjump

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 11:12 AM

Hahahahaha I actually laughed out loud when I read "go with God"

In our school system we are bringing the info to the students then "don't do for the student what they can do them self"

If kiters are looking past info that is indeed from highly experienced kiters then it's all on their shoulders, well I guess their legs when they are breaking from a lofting. Lol

PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyjump
Hahahahaha I actually laughed out loud when I read "go with God"

In our school system we are bringing the info to the students then "don't do for the student what they can do them self"

If kiters are looking past info that is indeed from highly experienced kiters then it's all on their shoulders, well I guess their legs when they are breaking from a lofting. Lol

oh what to do with freewill...grateful for choice and reason.

its gotten us all this far...AND its why we are here.

keystrokes , only a few away , very true. ALL that knowledge for free.

gravity doesn't care , just like the rest of the elements. risk preparation should be self realized.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
indigo_wolf

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PHREERIDER
gravity doesn't care , just like the rest of the elements.

"The biggest difference between your Mom and Mother Nature is she won't be sending a get well card to your hospital room any time soon."

:lol:

ATB,
Sam

Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-22-2011 at 04:45 PM

We need 2 sections for beginers on here.

The thruth about how to get started section and

What you want to hear section.

Seems that beginers come on here already decided on a 4 - 5m kite Ebay kite " cause they want to jump " and all the talk about learning proper and safe is waisted anyway ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio