Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inflato relaunches
macboy

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:10 PM
Inflato relaunches

The Slingsot TD I used in the Keys and the Guroo I used in PEI last year both had the same relaunch characteristic in that if you just let go of the bar the kite would make its way to the water (crash) and then sit there standing on a wingtip until you gave some bar input to lift it off. Is this true with ALL tubes or just these two and a few others?

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Houston AirHead

Mood: Smooth winds

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:19 PM

mostly.... depends on how far to the left or right of the window it is or.... how the kite is positioned.

kites tend to find their way into the air no matter what. its the operators job to coerce.:alien:

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3
Ace II 8 - for sale rarely used....

manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 08:34 PM

Hey

Yeah almost all bow or sle kites after 06 will do that. Some c-kites need some pulling on the 5th line but even most of the newer c-kites will launch in that manner.

John
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 08:38 PM

Kind of, yeah. I think the "auto-relaunch" is more a characteristic of the delta shaped kites though - my Crossbows need a rear line pulled to get it to the edge but relaunch is inevitable, true. The 'bows reverse launch nice too :D

I still advise getting at least one lesson in how to relaunch an old, crappy c-kite ... or at least remember that you have to swim towards it to get it to turtle then swim to one side to help it to the edge. Otherwise, if you rely on the SLE magic relaunch and it doesn't happen for whatever reason, you'll end up with a long swim and walk like Mr. Naish Cult had the other week. 2 swims and walks actually, cos he didn't know the swimming tip.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
burritobandit

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 10:19 PM

The Deltas do it much more easily. The more swept the wingtips and less blunt the leading edge is, the easier the kite edges over. Wainmans, Kahoonas, F-One Bandit Is, IIs, and IIIs, are examples of Delta-shaped LEIs.

What Kami said is true, and should still be taught. Lots of people rely on the normal 'pull a steering line method', but there are instances where flipping the kite on its back like a c-kite will relaunch easier than the standard method. 2007 Waroo Pros could be a pain to to relaunch using the standard method if the wind wasn't fully on.

Kites:
2012 TS 7,9,12/2007 Waroo 3,5/2009 Kahoona 9.5
Flexifoil Ion 2 8.5
HQ Hydra 350
Naish Helix 2, Cult 3,4.5
Ozone Zephyr 17m
Rides:
2011 Best Profanity 134, Cabrinha Kiteskate, Cabrinha Nugget, 2k9 Cabrinha Plasma 146x50, 2k9 Flexifoil Delta 139x41.5, 2011 Slingshot Darko 135x41, Slingshot Scud, Tona wakeskate, Flexifoil Flexdeck, MBS Pro 90, MBS Ambush x 2, some oldskool buggy
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 08:11 AM

most delta do it. some bows , some hybrids... nice rest feature .

not all though. on land if starts luffing and bouncing its tatters the fabric. on water as long as the top line has tension it will sit.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
DanyLoren2016

[*] posted on 6-10-2011 at 03:52 AM

I think the "auto-relaunch" is more characteristic of the delta shaped kites and its similar with it. my Crossbows need a rear line pulled to get it to the edge.

I will also getting at least one lesson in how to relaunch an old, crappy c-kite ... or at least remember that you have to swim towards it to get it to turtle then swim to one side to help it to the edge. Otherwise, if you rely on the SLE magic relaunch and it doesn't happen for whatever reason, you'll end up with a long swim and walk like Mr. Naish Cult had the other week. 2 swims and walks actually, cos he didn't know the swimming tip.

bigkahuna

[*] posted on 6-10-2011 at 04:55 AM

Quote:

Is this true with ALL tubes or just these two and a few others?

It's true, to varying degrees, of pretty much all bows and SLE's. It's not true, especially in the larger sizes, of older C-kites, which is one of the many benefits bows/SLE's have over the older kites. You don't see many C kites on the market any more, but just thought I'd clear this up in case someone was considering a C-kite.
Jaymz

Mood: Wizzy

[*] posted on 6-10-2011 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanyLoren2016
I think the "auto-relaunch" is more characteristic of the delta shaped kites and its similar with it. my Crossbows need a rear line pulled to get it to the edge.

I will also getting at least one lesson in how to relaunch an old, crappy c-kite ... or at least remember that you have to swim towards it to get it to turtle then swim to one side to help it to the edge. Otherwise, if you rely on the SLE magic relaunch and it doesn't happen for whatever reason, you'll end up with a long swim and walk like Mr. Naish Cult had the other week. 2 swims and walks actually, cos he didn't know the swimming tip.

Now your starting to sound like Kami :yes:

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
Gin Eskimo 14m, 11m, 8.5m, 6m
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Litewave Storm 132, Wing 153
Libre Fullrace, PL Bigfoot
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 6-10-2011 at 06:00 AM

What the hell? I am spam-quotation worthy? :(

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
sparkin_larkin

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 11:19 AM

Kite in the water at the edge of the wind window.. sits well mannered on its wingtip while you put your feet back in the straps ..pull the top line watch it relaunch bring it back down and get going. :P HMMM
L

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio