Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: paypal account
kitemaker4

Mood: happy when buggying

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 05:02 PM
paypal account

Yesterday I could not access my paypal account that I set up for dead bird. Well I started getting e-mails from paypay sent to the dbbbash@cox.net. That is the e-mail account I set up for dead bird. For some reason cox would not let me open my account. Well today I finally was able to read my e-mails from paypal. To make a long story short someone went in and changed my password and other stuff and now I can not even transfer money from paypal to the checking account I set up for dead bird. I have sent an e-mail to bob childs telling him to take off the paypal option on the dead bird site until further notice. I will try to fix everything but right now I just do not have a lot of time to devote to this problem.

Susan
mecdave

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 09:33 PM

Susan, you need to notify both Paypal and our bank that the accounts have been compromised. This needs to be done first thing in the morning. Doing this will limit our liability and losses to $50. I can't stress enough that this needs to be done first thing in the morning, even if it's your mom calling the bank in the morning once they open.

Call me first chance you get even if it's early in the morning.

dave

Buggy Texas before it Bugs You.
http://deadbirdbuggybash.com
mecdave

[*] posted on 11-3-2005 at 09:56 PM

Here is the number to Paypal. Follow the instructions on this webpage. It has to be done by the account holder (you or your mom) or I would do it for you. And it really needs to be done as soon as possible. I'm afraid we may have been robbed. Please call me asap. I'm awake now.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone

dave

doomwheels

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 12:04 AM

If someone actually gained access to the PP account, they could have made several purchases paid for from the existing PP funds and then directly from your bank account once the PP funds are depleted. This means someone could actually spend out your entire savings. Yes, good thing that it is protected by PayPal if you notify them quickly.

If the funds are alright, getting the password changed and checking your bank info (and other settings) should be enough to continue. Worst case... setup a new PP account.

Another option, if all is lost, is to use another credit card service. I use a good one that only charges a 1-time setup fee of $50 and processing rates similar to PayPal.

I will disable the PayPal button for now but encourage you to fix the problem so we can resume its use. Setting up PayPal for this store was a lot of work and accepting credit cards is an advantage to your customers. Look how many have used it compared to sending checks.

It is unfortunate when online banking accounts are compromised like this. There are a lot of evil people out there. But, they are not typically some super genius hacker, most often they obtain the password directly from us - the users.

Be sure to keep passwords safe by:
* Choosing complicated passwords using a mix of numbers and letters (ex. Jd745nM3eh).
* Passwords should NOT use real words (ex. bob123).
* Do not store passwords on your computer. If you write them down, put them some place safe.
* Change your password often (at least once per month).
* Clear your browser cashe and cookies after logging out of banking sites. I even reboot my computer after that.
* Get your computer checked for spyware. There are programs that infect PCs and report all your keystrokes to some evil person. A recent report says 90% of Windows users have some form of spyware on their hard drive.
* NEVER, ever respond to an email that says something is wrong with your email account and click this link to update your account settings. These are fakes. If you fear something wrong, contact the back directly.

>I finally was able to read my e-mails from paypal.

Susan, what did these emails say? Who were they from?

Sorry to hear this bit of bad news and hope everything is solved soon. Let me know how I can be of help.

doomwheels

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 12:43 AM

Although this matter is not associated with the DBBB site's admin center, I have changed the login password as a preventative measure. Dave and Susan, check your U2U messages for the new password. Who else needs it?

PS: Once you've recorded the password, be sure to delete the U2U message and empty the trash.

mecdave

[*] posted on 11-4-2005 at 07:11 AM

Thanks Bob. Chris needs the password too.

dave

doomwheels

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 12:40 AM

Any news on the PP situation yet?

mecdave

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 10:02 PM

Susan's working on getting her computer cleaned up and safe first. The event is so close now I don't think we need to bother with online sales (unless someone wants to send a check) especially considering the situation with both Paypal and our bank account. We'll be on a cash basis for the next month or so.

dave

doomwheels

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 01:14 AM

Was any money stolen? None of my business of course, so I'll understand your declining to answer... just curious.

Understood regarding no need for changes this year. I'll leave everything the way it is until I hear otherwise.

mecdave

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:29 AM

There was some cash in Paypal that hadn't been transfered yet, plus a couple draws out of our bank account. So yeah, we're technically broke until the matter is cleared up.

dave

doomwheels

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:50 AM

Big bummer to hear that guys. Hope PayPal will protect your loss. Pity that we all have to work so hard just to prevent #@%$#!s from ripping us off. I waste an incredible amount of personal time reacting to spam and phishing attempts. Shoot them all!

kitemaker4

Mood: happy when buggying

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 08:59 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have talked to paypal and I was told to wait till they check out the problems to the account. Just waiting to hear from them now. Reguarding the checking account there have been some unarthurized activity and I have been and filled out forms to be reinbursted for the money. I will be closing the account when that money does come. As far as I know it is now just a waiting game.

Susan

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Hosting