Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My FS Speed 17 1.5 review
Houston AirHead

Mood: Smooth winds

biggrin.gif posted on 1-5-2011 at 08:10 PM
My FS Speed 17 1.5 review

Got home from a hard day’s work today and went right to my new speed I just bought from Stetson, (thanks again). I got a chance the other day to survey the lines and the comprehensive system of pulleys and bridal connection points. So I unfold the lines, throw a stake in the ground and open/prefilled kite with leaf blower (SO COOL)! I run back, harness on no leash because I’m a Master like that.

Anyways, I give her a small tug and up she goes. As soon as she got to zenith I could immediately tell what German engineering is all about. It’s really hard to articulate into words but let me just assure you; if you’re unsure if it’s a good idea to drop 3 large on a new Flysurfer Deluxe, I now understand just why they cost so much money, But I’ll try too in a few( super stable, rock solid, fast) The kite I purchased from Stet is a 2006 model (still in awesome condition might I add) my mind is having a really hard time imagining how freaking awesome the new R&D on new age Fly surfers has made a difference. Also keep in mind this was a static session.

One more thing I totally “get” what the .5 is all about now. Even though it renders the hard and soft steering useless, it’s much better IMO to have more depower for a wide range of reasons. Good job Powerzone!

By the way wind speed was almost undetectable on the ground, so times 2, it was maybe 4.5 mph at Zenith.
I found the trick to making speeds turn fast is to just yank the steering lines with your hands. I haven’t even looked at the mixers yet, she flew so good, I had no reason too!

I hope my review is helpful to some of you, I plan on making one when I finally get a water session in.

* i think im going to add a rotary connection point to the power lines after power straps.

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3
Ace II 8 - for sale rarely used....

Kamikuza

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 08:15 PM

Nice :thumbup:
You'll only need to yank the steering line when there's not enough wind - when there's enough wind, I wouldn't risk my fingers pulling the leaders :D

And when you get airborne, don't forget you got a mini-paraglider over your head :o :lol:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
stetson05

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 11:47 PM

I am really glad you are satisfied with it. I loved it.

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
tridude

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 05:01 PM

nice...........Houston how much do you weigh? Be careful when you set that edge and pull in the bar..................you'll be off like a prom dress............wooohoooo!!

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Houston AirHead

[*] posted on 1-6-2011 at 05:48 PM

at the moment about 180lb wet, so you know i just started thinking i bet if some one was going to attempt a world distance record on water, a speed is how they would go.
Im going to try one day.

I want to try Surfside, beach all the way to Lake Calcasieo, Lousiana.:thumbup:

800 miles round trip

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3

powerzone

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 08:45 AM

You should be able to get even more performance out of it.... tune the mixer to C+3, B+1.5 (relative to Amain. the Zextend makes for a difficult measurement, so forget the Z part of the mixer adjustment.

you will need to adjust the mixer or at least check it from time to time as the pulley lines stretch and shrink and finally lock in to a more stable length.

also, the HardSoft knots don't serve a purpose with the 1.5mod as you figured out.... the kite is permanently set to FULL SOFT which is where 99.9% of all speed1 users preferred the kite set at. so the 20cm line was used as a WAC Limiter for high stability.

have a great time with the 1.5 ! .... lots of great memories with that kite, and lots of progression in skill level and confidence.

Pacific NW Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center

www.powerzonekitesports.com
Houston AirHead

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 12:01 PM

hmmmm, is there a diagram? i would like to try that mod...

can you explain briefly the ( tune the mixer to C+3, B+1.5 (relative to Amain. the Zextend makes for a difficult measurement, so forget the Z part of the mixer adjustment.) .... in dummy terms please.....

im assuming A is the top(rows of lines) and ascends downwards? and the numbers are knots?

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3

Kamikuza

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 11:00 PM

The knots at your mixer - from front to rear are A, B, C and Z as you imagine.
I haven't messed with modifying the mixer so I don't know which direction the + goes - towards or away from the kite - but instead of the standard mixer test aligning all the knots, B & C are first lined up then 3cm or 1.5cm etc is added to the adjustment ...

Have a play with this ...
http://www.facebook.com/flysurferkiteboarding?sk=app_4949752...

Looks like +3 will be moving the adjustment so the B knots is 3cm closer to the kite and a straight line mixer test ...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
powerzone

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 02:24 PM

the PZ version of the 1.5mod uses the same mixer ratio as the Psycho3 and Speed3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgauDSXp0Gk

B+1.5, C+3 refers to adjusting the mixerballs to where the knots are longer than Amain (the knots are the junction of Bmain or Cmain to the corresponding risers.... or where the grey mixer lines connect to the Green/Red bridle risers

hope that makes sense... you can also see the lineplan to refer to what the _main lines and risers are.

or you can just call me and i'll explain it better.

Houston AirHead

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 03:44 PM

thanks power zone, that makes more sense. ill let you know how it goes....

hoping to make it to the beach this wed/thursday:smilegrin:

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3

powerzone

[*] posted on 6-7-2011 at 08:53 PM

i'll start the invitations early this year to our annual S. Padre trip the 1st week of NOV.

come on down, kite and bbq with us ! we camp at the Isla Blanca park in the $30 cabannas with the beach just across the road.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio