Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Forum rules and information Question
jellis

Mood: SOBB

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 07:27 PM
Forum rules and information Question

Why is it so important that shops cannot post bargain deals that would benefit the PKF members?
Why is it not possible for this forum to have a place on the members profile area for our real names. Wouldn't it be better for those on this forum to stand up for what they say and not hide behind a user name?
Scudley

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 09:48 PM

Right on the money with that one Jon.
S

Is it possible to design for strength, if the designer doesn't really understand what strength is?
8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country Reflex 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10m new 6m!
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Sky Country Alasca 10m - sold
Rhombus Firebee 3m (ret).
Libre Vampir Race Pro 2.6m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 10:40 PM

There may be a legal aspect to it ... or it may just be to keep it friendly and personal.
My name's Kevin, by the way.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jellis
Why is it so important that shops cannot post bargain deals that would benefit the PKF members?

Strictly speaking dealers have posted many demo products on PKF for sale.

Quote:
Why is it not possible for this forum to have a place on the members profile area for our real names. Wouldn't it be better for those on this forum to stand up for what they say and not hide behind a user name?

From the BlueMoon Kites Forum:
Forum "real names" revisited…
Comments (0) By Ken McNeill, December 3, 2009 3:07 pm
Spurred by the ongoing discussion of suggested improvements to the site and ordering process, I started thinking about things that might keep someone from either ordering or participating. It occurs to me that one of those things is my “real names” pseudo-rule for the forum.

People have many reasons for sharing information or not in a public space like a forum. I may not agree or understand, by I must respect. So, I’m reversing myself and have dropped the “real name” language from forum registration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real names could certainly be placed in the Biography or even the Mood field.

And now some random thoughts:
  • I could have registered for PKF with the name William.S.Porter and only a literary geek would have noticed that that was coincidently :shocked2: the real name of the author who wrote under the pen name "O. Henry"

• "Real" (or real sounding) names have very little to do with standing up for what you say. Like elsewhere in life, you are what you do and your actions speak more about who you are and what you stand for. Some random label your parents tagged you with.... possibly under a full moon, doesn't really convey much about you decades after the fact.

• I generally don't wear a name tag to a bar or social events, I do introduce myself, by my first name, to people I meet. Likewise, all of my posts are signed with my first name and the pseudo enigmatic ATB (All the best). Any further information, generally requires discourse and <* gasp *> interaction in both venues. That strikes me as a reasonably civilized way to conduct one's self on a forum.

• Location is a much more meaningful field to fill out (even at the state level) as it allows people to make more informed suggestions about stores or other fliers in the area of someone that might be posing a question.

• For purely sentimental reasons, my nickname/userid/avatar is the same or similar (where someone else might have snagged the name first) pretty much any place I frequent on the Internet.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 06:33 AM

Location very important :yes: my username is the same almost everywhere too ... kind of scary to do a web search for Kamikuza and find the places I've been like 100 years ago :lol:

Edit : Oh :( since last time I searched for Kamikuza, that name's been used by other people too :(

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 07:48 AM

I am all about bargians!

I sort of understood the rules to be that people with shops could sell used / demo gear on here. Until recently I thought that would include clearing out , out of date gear . + acting as a go between for non members / customer who wish to sell.

I have seen examples of all of these.

I did not see ANY flack towards MJ when he 1st talked about cleaning out the PL closet !!!!!!!!!

I suspect that the recent issues have much more to do with a " personal " issue between the 2 who shall remain un-named!

I think you should have no problem selling a back log Jon?
The previous blow out sale you had on here was very well recieved !

I am Ken #2

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
pkf

Mood: Squiggly

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
PKF is a peer-to-peer forum, not a commercial marketplace.

I think our For Sale section rules are pretty flexible. Store owners are able to post items for sale just like anyone else. Store owners may also place a shop link in their signature and there are additional privileges for those who post product reviews (see rules for details).

Quote:
Why is it not possible for this forum to have a place on the members profile area for our real names.
Members are welcome use their real names when signing up or put it in their signature. Use of real names is not required as there is no way to verify them if it were.

The Power Kite Forum
Kite Traction Sports Community
http://www.powerkiteforum.com
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 10:23 AM

I use my real name so that I can remember it, and if I forget that, I can look at my drivers license. Problem with nicknames for my feeble mind is that I can be posting to a customer and not know it (or forget) which can affect context. But stepping in dog crap every once in while keeps me honest and humble I hope.:bouncing:

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
jellis

Mood: SOBB

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 01:12 PM

Bob I agree with the completely open sales for shops, there is the shops own web page for that. I do appreciate being able to sell close outs, demos and used gear.
I still would like to know who I am conversing with by using our real name.
Oh where is that perfect world again?:saint:
shehatesmyhobbies

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 04:17 PM

My user name is obviously made up, but I do use my real name in my sig. The only reason I don't use my full name is because I feel it is a little more social to use just my first name. Just my opinion! I am not ashamed of my full name, heck it is super common name and you guys could probably guess it in 3 tries anyway! :smilegrin:

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
macboy

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 04:26 PM

Rich Smith
Rich Jones
Rich Inigo Montoya

Do I win?
Kelly (aka Macboy, aka KD#3)

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 05:08 PM

I don't think I'll win, but can I go with "Rich Pudding" anyway? :lol: :smilegrin:

3 years later... AAA still can't spell my last name right (yah.... damn furuners got a different word for everything).

Pronunciation always seems to be a verbal Bermuda's Triangle too. :puzzled:

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Seanny

Mood: Tied between the roots of Earth and the sky...

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
Edit : Oh :( since last time I searched for Kamikuza, that name's been used by other people too :(

Sorry Kami! I'll try to think of a different username next time. :lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
I suspect that the recent issues have much more to do with a " personal " issue between the 2 who shall remain un-named!

100% agree. There is no other plausible explanation. He seemed quite upset, although he handled the situation very well. There's no telling what was said to him by this person outside of PKF.

Sean Tully

i like kites.
kiteetik

Mood: apogee reached

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 06:44 PM

Don Dorward is my name--cheers to everyone on this forum
labrat

Mood: tired... again

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 07:09 PM

First name: Corey (I don’t know what number)
My friends called me fuzzy. (don’t see them much any more)
The nickname is a reference to a professional athlete (that’s a clue to my last name – different spelling)

US74
HQ Beamer IV 2m, 3m: Apex III 3m, 5m
PL Synergy 15m
GI Patrol (DAKITEZ special build)

What I’m after:
5-6m lifty something or other
Syn\'s little sibling
Hmmmm... buggy?

Told the wife \"The fuel is free and I won’t have to change the oil.”
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by macboy
Kelly (aka Macboy, aka KD#3)

Can I assume that KD #1 is the Misses? ;-)

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
shehatesmyhobbies

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 10:02 PM

Well the guesses aren't quite right, so I will make it a little easier!

It's Rich Miller! :(

Although pudding does sound good right about now. Thanks wolf now I'm hungry!:lol:

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 06:17 AM

When I started out here, I did not have a shop. If I knew how to change my username to BigMike, I would do it. I am reluctant to create a new account as people tend to look at number of posts to someone's worth on the forum.

I sell used / demo gear here from time to time. My first kite(s) were such from the wild and wonderful Dino. I will not post new items of any kind here. I might consider if it is an old model and it has been sitting around a long time like a Reactor I lets say.

Other items I post are kites for customers on consignment. They bought the kites from me and for whatever life reasons they have, they did not pursue the hobby like they thought they would. I take the time to post their stuff on my site and sometimes here. I examine the kites to determine the condition and I handle all the transactions and pay all the fees and end up with less than 10% for my troubles.

If people want something new, my site is posted and they are always welcome. I often have demo items listed there that are never posted here, so there is an option.

I work with my fellow retailers on this board, not against them. It is great having such a community to rely on. I think the posting of new items of any kind is not in the spirit of the forum. Especially if it is a common product that we all carry.

My .02

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
kiteetik

Mood: apogee reached

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 08:06 AM

i just forgot what i was going to say...... alzheimers,damn.......
Seanny

Mood: Tied between the roots of Earth and the sky...

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 09:37 AM

Well said, Mike. What's an Akulakat, anyway?

I don't think shop owners selling brand spankin' new items over the forum is correct either, **BUT** I think we can make an exception for this instance. Rules cannot be interpreted so strictly ALL of the time. It's like getting pulled over for going 2 mph over the speed limit. Just because the legal limit is 60, or whatever, and technically you are breaking the law by going above it, doesn't mean that some common sense and understanding can't be introduced into the equation. There were vintage kites being sold here with no personal gain to the one selling it. Peter Lynn trusted him to take care of it. There may never be such an opportunity like this, ever again. You just have to use common sense with some things. He could have privately sold them all off to whomever he wanted to, but I thought it was kind of cool of him to say, you know what, this forum has treated me right, and I'd like to return the favor. Is that so bad? I didn't think so. The mods didn't think so... they're quite capable of doing their jobs correctly, and they do in fact do their jobs correctly on a daily basis. It's a simple matter of don't fix what ain't broke. It's not like he's selling off a huge shipment of Chargers and getting all of the profit. He's just throwing forth a huge gesture of kindness.

I asked Adam (flyjump) what he thought of this and his simple answer was "It won't last. The people who matter will last."
Well I agree with that. It's not like PKF has never dealt with this kind of thing before. We will get over it, and go back to business as usual. All we are is a bunch of kite junkies who have a place to get together and express our thoughts on a thing we love. This was a pathetic personal attack IMHO, and it's nothing to get worked up about. It's a damn shame that such an honest and lifelong contributer to the sport of kiting was the target. I'm glad he has decided to stick around. Now there's just one more person we have to get to do the same...

Sean Tully

i like kites.
BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 03:35 PM

I understand. I had no problems with vintage sales, nor any problem with anything thus far. Just stating what my perceptions are which I believe are accurate.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio