Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Update Washington Beaches - baby steps
fletcht

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 05:20 PM
Update Washington Beaches - baby steps

Good News, not as good news, and bureaucracy.
First the good news, Washington State Parks staff were pleased with the summer events. We had 6 staff members sitting with us. Three of them would like to become involved in the activity themselves. That is good news. The not so good news is this will be a longer process then I was lead to believe, or which was my understanding. That is part of the bureaucracy part.
I'll try to explain where we are in a short form. Taking a different approach instead of rewriting the WAC (law) which bans wind powered vehicles we are approaching it from rewriting the permit which will allow it. Similar to what BLM does (I guess) Then we would get, apply for a yearly or 6 month permit ( areas might change as to where WPV's would be allowed seasonably) it isn't written yet which would allow us out on the beaches. Changing the law, would require much more restrictive language and would be harder to change little things if needed down the road. The permit process would be easier to enforce and modify. This we believe is a good thing. On the down side, it is a slow process to change either. The next few months will start the process, but it will be at least another year before it is finalized. Bummer.
However, we will be able to continue the current permit process like we had this summer. I will be working with them to try and relax that process a bit also. Maybe to allow for a more open time period, as well as through the winter months. They would like to see us out there during the winter also to give them a better overall picture. I am hoping for maybe a 2 week window of time monthly that we can permit for, or something of that nature. Again these will be restricted to NAPKA members or the newly formed Northwest Blokart Assoc.
As I learn more, I'll inform more. We are ahead of where we were, but not as far as I would of liked to be.

Morrie, Jeff, Steve any other comments? Did I miss anything?

Thanks

Evans Fletcher

Flying PKD\'s Century soulfly ll,
2.2 m
8 m

Team Rider,

Buggy
Libre hardcore Suspension
Peter Lynn foldable.
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 05:37 PM

In a nut shell, you said it all.
A couple of things for the best, Parks welcomes the ATB's and the dirt surfers in our next events, so wheeled skates and boards will be included and expected to participate in the upcoming events.
And from what I heard was that the areas of use will be opened up to include other areas of the beach, with our old permits set up for 3 days at a time we would now have a week or so to pick better wind and weather for our time on the beach.
One of the biggies is we have to registrar our intent with NAPKA so Parks can know when to come out and watch.

I do think it was a good meeting as far as the State goes, at a snails pace. I am encouraged more than discouraged. I hope to see some of them out with us in a blokart or with a kite and bug:thumbup:

Keep up the good work Evans, we are all behind you.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 05:43 PM

Way to go Fletch, :cool:

I have to think that if we show them that this sport is something we would want to do in their " off season " as well it will only help our cause ? Anything that brings people in through the shoulder seasons has to be good for the area ?

I say shoulder seasons because I am pretty sure that most of us Canadians will be hitting the lakes once the H2O firms up ! Jan to March will probably be dedicated to snowkiting Triple 8, Bugeyed and myself ?

Great news about them expanding to ATB ETC. BigKid! Good news for me is that I am finally O.K. to ride my Coyotes again so look forward to getting down South !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 06:14 PM

A lot was talked about and at times it seemed to go in circles, then nowhere, then in a completely new direction, then back on track. It was hard to keep everything straight and remember the little stuff.
One of the points brought up was, that we are more or less one sided as far as the public goes with WPV'S and Parks only view of the sport is through us. We need to recruit more people to join the sport so Parks can see how newbies respond to things and how the public responds to the newbies, if that make any sense. We are aware of the rules and are able to put on a good show for Parks, we need some that are willing to show the "Learning side of things". So we need to get some newbies to join.
If anyone can clarify what I just said, please chime in and help me get it strait.
The same rules still apply to the others, (boards etc,) but this may be an opening for many more to join NAPKA.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
fletcht

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 06:21 PM

Yes, they are interested in the ATB's and skates. But that being allowed is more a part of our insurance then Parks desire. Most of the thanks go to NAPKA for getting the coverage in our insurance. Which I will make a plug here, we need this organization for our sport to continue and grow. Washington State may be the only one where it has come into issue, but believe me, States do look at each other when adopting rule changes. So, if other areas are experiencing issues, then keep this in mind. I am not a group following rule abiding individual, but I do know the value of having an organization behind us to help get things we want.

Off my soapbox.

Evans Fletcher

2.2 m
8 m

Team Rider,

Buggy
Peter Lynn foldable.
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 06:31 PM

What a catch 22 ! :crazy:

People can't just see us on the beach and be taught by us ( like at Sunset ) because of membership requirments. Membership isn't simple enough to be handed out on the beach.

They want NAPKA members to be skilled self disciplined riders and at the same time want us to show them people who can't fly or understand the rules! NAPKA and North Americans in general are not certified to teach this sport on land yet ? I would love to see certification happen but NAPKA has to grow a lot for that to become reality.

How about the 3 board members that want to learn? Can we not use them as examples of training ?

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
fletcht

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 07:28 PM

Yes, it is a catch 22. But I think we can still make this work for us. The NAPKA issue is because until there is a rule change we have to do this by special permit. So that Parks are released from liability. Special permits need an organization with insurance to release them from liability. Part of this process is to change the permit process. But, since NAPKA is not a high priced organization it is to any individuals best interest to join the organization and come out and learn. A small price to pay. Maybe we can simplify the membership process. I don't know, this is not my area. I do believe however, they are on our side, and they are working to see how they can create a better process for us.

Evans Fletcher

2.2 m
8 m

Team Rider,

Buggy
Peter Lynn foldable.
Morrie Williams

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 07:45 PM

Membership could be done on the beach with cash in hand, filling out the waiver, taking a quick photo (even from a cell phone) and assigning a number.

Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
SkyTiger Hi 10, Hi 15, Hi 30, Hi 60
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
Peter Lynn - Reactor II 3.5m, 6.9m
NAPKA - US86

Blokart with 2m, 3m, 4m, 5.5m sails
NABSA - us89nw
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 06:41 AM

Wow! Streamlining the process like that would be a huge step in the right direction !

That would be great Morrie!

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrie Williams
Membership could be done on the beach with cash in hand, filling out the waiver, taking a quick photo (even from a cell phone) and assigning a number.

Ken (K2)
Morrie Williams

[*] posted on 9-14-2010 at 08:34 AM

I forgot, we still need the member information filled out!

Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
NAPKA - US86

NABSA - us89nw
buggeyed

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 12:56 PM

It looks like things are moving in the right direction.

Would it be possible to set up a demo in Nov. at Grayland. Nov 11 is a holiday for us.So a permit from Nov 11 to 14 would work.There would be low tides early afternoon also.All we would need is the weather to cooperate :shocked2:

If it's possible and there's any one else interested I could probably make it down for a couple of days.

2m Ozone Flow , 3.5m Uturn OxigenIIpro, 2.7m,4m,6m,14m Yakuza,3m, 5m Flexi Blurr , 5m, 7m,10m RM+
6m Ozone Access, 10m Access2
XXtreme Apexx buggy
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 04:57 PM

Nov. 11 works for me! :cool2:

Ken (K2)
Morrie Williams

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 06:52 PM

Here's the tides for Nov 11-14:

November - Westport, Point Chehalis
Date Day Time Height Time Height Time Height Time Height
11/11/2010 Thu 04:42AM LST 7.8 H 09:46AM LST 4.1 L 03:46PM LST 8.7 H 10:29PM LST 0.5 L
11/12/2010 Fri 05:37AM LST 7.7 H 10:47AM LST 4.2 L 04:44PM LST 7.9 H 11:21PM LST 1.1 L
11/13/2010 Sat 06:31AM LST 7.7 H 11:57AM LST 4.1 L 05:52PM LST 7.3 H
11/14/2010 Sun 12:15AM LST 1.7 L 07:23AM LST 7.8 H 01:10PM LST 3.7 L 07:06PM LST 6.9 H

The day time lows are in the morning at 9:46, 10:47, 11:57 and 1:10.

Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
NAPKA - US86

NABSA - us89nw
buggeyed

[*] posted on 9-20-2010 at 07:23 PM

Would the tides be low enough to make an event worthwhile on this weekend? Keeping in mind that some of us are running barrow tires.

2m Ozone Flow , 3.5m Uturn OxigenIIpro, 2.7m,4m,6m,14m Yakuza,3m, 5m Flexi Blurr , 5m, 7m,10m RM+
XXtreme Apexx buggy
Morrie Williams

[*] posted on 9-21-2010 at 06:02 AM

It's any awfully high low tide with only 3+ foot difference between high and low. Unless you have a good wind direction, WSW or WNW, you wont have a lot of space to tack with the normal NW, SW or SE winds. Also the possibility of good morning winds is low. I think it could be a long trip for not much buggying.

Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
NAPKA - US86

NABSA - us89nw
csa_deadon

Mood: waiting for spring sobb, fall sobb, ABE, IBX

[*] posted on 9-22-2010 at 01:57 AM

www.napka.org
US911
What I ride, and fly
Custom KBSS Libre Hardcore with John Deer tires!
Ozone R1 11m, Ozone Summit 10ul, 15m ul

Wish list:
Wind powered portable coffee maker.
Chrono, Chrono, Chrono!
buggeyed

[*] posted on 9-22-2010 at 07:54 AM

It looks like it woundn't be worth while to hold an event for Nov 10 weekend if the tides are not low enough.If you guys hold another event some time over the winter I'll try to make it down.

XXtreme Apexx buggy
PistolPete

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 07:37 PM

Last year I went to the International Kite Festival in Longbeach and was hoping to check out the buggy area (see map on this posting http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5328 ). Later they dropped the buggy area from the map but I do not know why? Next year it would be great to get one of the Demo Session approved for Long Beach from August 15 -12, 2011 (http://kitefestival.com )… :eureka:

NAPKA-US28
flash

[*] posted on 10-26-2010 at 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PistolPete
Last year I went to the International Kite Festival in Longbeach and was hoping to check out the buggy area (see map on this posting http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5328 ). Later they dropped the buggy area from the map but I do not know why? Next year it would be great to get one of the Demo Session approved for Long Beach from August 15 -12, 2011 (http://kitefestival.com )… :eureka:

we had a demo field this year... just no buggies or boards allowed :(. They have asked me to come back for next year, so be assured, a power field will be there!

Beamer IV 1.4m, 2.0m, 4.0m, 5.0m
Crossfire 3.0m, 4.0m, 6.5m
Prodigy 6.0m
Neo II 8.0m, 11.0m
Apex III all of \'em
Montana V 9.5m, 12.5m,
Montana VI 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m
PistolPete

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 07:30 PM

Ok, it's on!

:wee:

Join NAPKA http://www.napkra.org/ and get the skinny on the many opportunities to ride the beautiful Washington State beaches this year including at the International Kite Festival http://kitefestival.com/kite-festival/ :roll:

NAPKA-US28
Morrie Williams

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 07:54 PM

The location for buggying and blokarting during the Washington State International Kite Festival is 5 miles up the pennisula at Klipsan Beach NOT at the Kite Festival area.

All buggy pilots must be current members of NAPKA and all blokart pilots must be current members of NWBKA.

Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
NAPKA - US86

NABSA - us89nw
lamrith

Mood: Who stole my wind!?

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 09:39 AM

Gredging this one up a bit. Curious on how the year went and what the outlook is for next year? Are we making progress in getting things more opened up?

I did not realise until this week that WPV were specifically illegal on WA park beaches, that was quite a surprise to learn.

Are there any gatherings here in WA coming up before Next Feb?

Old Dual line Delta
NTK Techno - Todd
PKD BusterIII 2m - BigKid
PKD Buster Soulfly 3.3 - BigKid
PL Pepper2 8m - BigKid
Rev B full sail & full vent - Awindofchange
Rev Blast - WCRC attendee
Rev B midvent - kitestakes.com
Rev SLE - BigKid

Hookin your kids to kites early = priceless
Morrie Williams

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 08:23 AM

Any changes to the laws regarding WPV's are on hold until the bugetary issues have been resolved.

Therefore, the NAPKA and PNWBA (Blokart group) will continue to apply for special event permits. We've applied for some events this fall, but due to the state parS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s "musical chairs" we haven't heard anything regarding these possible events.

As soon as we know about scheduling, we'll let you know!

Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
NAPKA - US86

NABSA - us89nw
jellis

Mood: SOBB

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 11:05 AM

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we can get back on the beaches before 2012.

Jon Ellis US08
Trbo323

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 03:39 PM

ok, so im still new to the sport, but last i heard WPVs are illegal on the beaches, is this true? or is there a way around it now?
csa_deadon

Mood: waiting for spring sobb, fall sobb, ABE, IBX

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 04:04 PM

Not so much of a way around as it is trying to change the law. NAPKA largely through the efforts of WA buggy pilots is attempting to work with WA state.

In order to buggy on the beaches you have to be a member of NAPKA, and attend a NAPKA sponsored/sanctioned event.

For membership follow the link in my signature line.

www.napka.org
US911
What I ride, and fly
Custom KBSS Libre Hardcore with John Deer tires!
Ozone R1 11m, Ozone Summit 10ul, 15m ul

Wish list:
Wind powered portable coffee maker.
Chrono, Chrono, Chrono!
lamrith

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by csa_deadon
In order to buggy on the beaches you have to be a member of NAPKA, and attend a NAPKA sponsored/sanctioned event.

Just to clarify, buggying on the beach is only permissable during the sponsored event and if you have membership. The event is not like an "exam" so that after attending an event we can buggy anytime we want...

May seem odd, but there are hobbys where you need to be member, get checked out and then your set to use a facility/area at your leisure so I wanted to clarify...

Old Dual line Delta
NTK Techno - Todd
PL Pepper2 8m - BigKid
Rev SLE - BigKid

Morrie Williams

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 05:03 PM

You can only buggy during a "special event permit" event held by an insured group. NAPKA and PNWBA are insured groups.

Outside of those "special events", it is still illegal to use wind powered vehicles on any Washington beaches. We are attempting to change the laws so that is no longer the case.

Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
NAPKA - US86

NABSA - us89nw
Trbo323

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 08:38 PM

sweet, id like to go out on the beach at some point. i think its a little crazy that once you touch water its ok but a foot onto the sand and with wheels is not allowed
lamrith

[*] posted on 10-15-2011 at 10:46 AM

IS there a link to the actual WAC? The reason I ask is I am curious how it is written up, are WPV illegal in the entire state, or just specifically at the beaches?

I don't want everyone jumping and going full tilt in every park they find, but it would be nice to know if it is legal in other places of the state? Maybe that woudl let us hold more gatherings which lets us show the state how we do things and that opening the beaches can be done safely?

Old Dual line Delta
NTK Techno - Todd
PL Pepper2 8m - BigKid
Rev SLE - BigKid

Pages:  1  

Go To Top