Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Making my case for NAPKRA
ripsessionkites

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfWolfee
Again I'll say, it drop the racing aspect at least in the name, or change it all together. Having tried to do the insurance thing myself racing adds a whole new aspect to the game. No one has mentioned is this insurance valid in Canada? Canada is part of North America, and actually the bigger part...lol

the event insurance covers canada.

bbrex

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 05:54 AM

Yes; we should all be excited! Evans Fletcher has gone above and beyond the call. Thank you again for your persistence. But that is how things get done. Unfortunately there are not more people/buggiers that are self-interested in getting things done. It is why I got involved in the insurance research to find a provider, any provider; it took 9 months of knocking on dozens of insurance companies doors, until we found a company, the company we presently have. I too needed to reopen a buggy venue that we had used for 7 years that was closed by a state entity and with the insurance we have now we were able to do it.

NAPKRA was put together first and foremost to bring buggiers together so we could have a common voice and open some doors that have been closed to our sport for many years, by having event insurance.

Racing was the common thread that we used to bring those of us together that wanted to establish an association. Since insurance companies want a formal set of rules that govern a specific sport we chose (kite buggies) and FISLY. They have a long standing acceptance and something we could build on and possibly someday we could formally be sanctioned by them. This is why the common thread was to be kite buggy RACING. Not everyone races, we understand that but, part of our insurance incorporates practicing skills and demos, as long as your regional coordinator knows about a practice session and all NAPKRA rules and conduct are followed it can be a, so to speak sanctioned event. This being said, it allows pilots to practice their skills at areas that either a private land owner or a state owned property will allow you to use with an Additional Insured Document. For those of you that really don’t get it, this is HUGE and no amount of money that you as an individual could afford is afforded to you by and through the organization of NAPKRA. So when you ask what NAPKRA can do for you, for a sum less than $50 you should be ashamed. Most all of us waste that much money per month on specialty coffees, cigs, alcohol etc.

NAPKRA does not have the funding or manpower to go to every community to find out how we can make kite powered sports more acceptable in the public’s eyes. What we need are people like Evans that are persistent and are willing to do the work that is needed to get the toe in the door. Once in, with the help of our Association and Insurance Coverage we can keep the door open to possibly get the desired outcome we want, without NAPKRA the door would have been slammed shut once again.

As for the RACE RACE RACE issue the only races that were ever put on, under with the knowledge of NAPKRA were in Texas, and those of us that participated in them regularly, thoroughly enjoyed the outings.

We removed all names that did not become Pilots In Good Standing (paid dues, sign a waiver, and get their membership card) because why should those that do not want to get involved and promote our Association get to have the privileges that those that do want to be involved and promote, simple as that.

Everything that someone looking to join NAPKRA is looking for is in the first 5 Headers on the Forum and is public, if you wish to get involved, pay your dues and get involved. From my understanding the only things that are hidden are the things that someone who is involved would care about anyway. Our website may not be the most user friendly forum on the web, but we will be working on that in the future.

As for Europe and how they do things with insurance, until they can sell their way of doing things to the US Politicians and Insurance Companies it means little to us. The laws in the US and how lawyers use them are completely different.

Trying to keep NAPKRA discussions off of the PKF is impossible; simply learn to use our own Forum. You can go to the Pilots page and get the email etc. of every pilot in your area; to get a group going, set meet ups etc. It just takes a little time to set up your email list and you’re good to go.

It seems those areas that have the major events are the same areas that self-interested people get things done in, so if you want to have an event or some day a major event, my advice is to get involved and put one together.

We had to start with the small base of people that were interested in putting NAPKRA together, if you would like to see NAPKRA grow and go in other directions we need your involvement and support.

As soon as we get our non-profit status we can then receive monies from outside entities, sponsors etc. until then our hands are tied, but we are getting closer to that end.

I will be discussing some options with our insurance provider concerning adding, additional kite powered sports such as, coyote blades, dirt surfers, land/ATB boards etc. These sports will most likely be viewed as giving more of a liability to our provider so my guess is that the premium would also go up. If this is the case how much is each of our pilots willing to pay for dues to cover the expenses of these premiums to keep NAPKRA afloat. We also have additional costs to finalize the non-profit organization, and renew Corporation papers? Should dues be $30, $40, $50 or more? Please let us know. If we do end up adding the above sports to our umbrella we will most likely change the name subtly and take the racing out; so that will help Weldngod.

As for a number of the races in Galveston being cancelled, the only reasons they were is due to 1) There were not enough pre-registered pilots for me to make the 5 hour drive to put the races on 2) the weather and or wind was not was not favorable for bugging. Dylan since you live much closer than I do to Galveston I would be happy to nominate you for coordinator of Texas. That way you could keep a better handle on the group there in your area. I will be more than happy to help you with getting it started, just let me know.

Weldngod if you become the coordinator in your area you can sanction your practices, if the land owner where you practice requires an Additional Insured Document from NAPKRA, guess what, it costs you $000.

Event Insurance covers both Canada and Mexico as long as if there were any litigation proceedings they would be litigated in the United States.

I hope this has answered the questions you have posed.

We are working on getting things together for our upcoming membership renewal and renewal of our Insurance. Please email me back personally bbrex@bellsouth.net on how much you would be willing to pay for membership dues both with the addition of the other wind powered sports and without them, as we do not know if they will make the premium cost, prohibitive.

Regards
Brad Rex

What I Fly!!!
PKD Buster .7m----PKD Brooza I 5.5m----JOJO RM+ 2m----JOJO Instinct 1.5m---- JOJO Instinct 2.5m---- JOJO Instinct 5.5m---- JOJO WET 8m----JOJO Session 7.5m----Flexifoil Sting 1.2m----Flexifoil Sting 1.7m---- Flexifoil Bullet 1.5m----Flexifoil Blade I 3.3m----Flexifoil Blade III 4m---- Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5m----Flexifoil Blade III 8.5m----Libra Bora 2m---- Ozone Razor 4.5m---- Force10 2.1m----NPW5 1.7m----NPW5 2.4m----NPW5 3.1m----NPW5 4.8m----NPW5 6.9m----(2) NPW9 3.4m----(3)NPW9 5.3m----NPW9 10m----NPW9 15m----NPW TEEGA 4.3m----NPW TEEGA 2.2m----NPW TEEGA .8m---- Modified Libre Full Race Buggy----Home Built Aluminum Iceflyer/Windflyer Landsailor
If you hadn\'t realized yet.......................Yes I am ADDICTED TO WIND!!!!!
NAPKRA Club #13 Coordinator (Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma)
US44
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 06:44 AM

Thanks Brad and everyone at NAPKRA.

Forgive me for pushing this topic on this site instead of NAPKRA but this is where our pool of interested people are.
Even I had stopped watching the NAPKRA site but I hope that will change.

I wouldn't want Coyotes thrown in to the insurance mix if it meant a difference in insurance. ATB is far more popular and backed by commercial interests. I understand fully the limitations in obtaining insurance and while I can enjoy a good buggy I prefer to FLY :Ange09:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 09:33 AM

As soon as this is covering ATB as well instead of just buggy I believe your numbers would increase greatly. It's the exact type of organization we need too, but I wouldn't want to incur new expense to your members to cover equipment they don't own/ride.

Best of luck to you. NAPKRA is a great group.

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
dylanj423

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 10:22 AM

brad... can you send me an email with what it would require of me to become a napkra helper?? i would love to be able to make time for it... lets see what can maybe happen...

WHAT I FLY:
Flysurfer Soul v2 12m, Soul 15m, Soul v2 21m

Flexi Rage 1.8m, Jojo RM 3m, Flexi Blurr 3.5, Flexi Blade 4.0m, Flexi Blade 4.9m, Flexi Blurr 5, Jojo RM 6m

WHAT I RIDE:
Kite Skates, Libre Full Race, GI Conflict 106, OR Mako 140, Spleene Door 159

What I Am In The Market For: Peter Lynn Vapors, Weatherproof Kite Buggy Bag for Libre, PL or Flexi Small Buggy to Tow With, Flexi Pro Link Handles, Flexi Lines, Flexi Kite Killers
rudeboysaude

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 11:11 AM

So, I'll admit right away I don't know much about NAPKARA. I did inquire though about trying to get a local organization formed that would help us with beach access issues. How many of you are members of PASA? In some beaches you have to be a card carrying member of PASA to kite there. They've opened up spots that were banned that way. We weren't able to get anywhere with it here. I think kiters like to think, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And unfortunately, you really need numbers to make it have any effect. If I was the sole PASA card carrying kiter in MN, no one would give a crap. Unless you can get a large majority of responsible kiters in your area into an organization, it doesn't hold much weight. And self bans and restrictions imposed by a few kiters doesn't really mean crap unless it's a hard LAW and there are consequences for it. I can't self ban a spot a I see as potentially hazardous for kiting as much as anyone else could stop me from kiting somewhere that there is no law enforcing it. Everyone perceives danger at different levels.

So my point I guess in all this rant is that kite organizations are tough. If you think you see a need for it in your local area, then get your ass in gear and try to get everyone involved in your area. Lone members in other area are going to be little help when it comes down to the man. You need a group of responsible kiters who can show credentials to law makers that you are being as safe as possible, held to standards, and any kiter not in the club you can not vouch for. NAPKRA would be a great resource to be there for when locals want to come together to have a backing force in their particular area, but as a lone ranger hoping that they can help you... I don't see much chance in that. I wish that power kiting in general had one professional organization that we could all back instead of numerous like PASA, IKO, NAPKRA, etc like paddling has the American Canoe Association, or climbing The Acccess Fund, or Surfriders.. but until kiters begin to actually see a need for such an organization, separation into smaller units will only compromise the unity of powerkiters as a whole and I think membership will always be a struggle. There is a freedom that we all associate with kiting and no one wants to talk politics/access about a sport they love, but it's better to be proactive then selling all your gear because you've got no where to fly.

Peter Lynn Snowkite Team
bbrex

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 02:40 PM

Our first choice for insurance was with PASA. We got the run around with their insurance carrier for 2 months to try to get kite buggies covered their provider said NO Thanks. Even though in their documents it clearly states kite buggiers. PASA is a dead end.
Regards
Brad

What I Fly!!!
PKD Buster .7m----PKD Brooza I 5.5m----JOJO RM+ 2m----JOJO Instinct 1.5m---- JOJO Instinct 2.5m---- JOJO Instinct 5.5m---- JOJO WET 8m----JOJO Session 7.5m----Flexifoil Sting 1.2m----Flexifoil Sting 1.7m---- Flexifoil Bullet 1.5m----Flexifoil Blade I 3.3m----Flexifoil Blade III 4m---- Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5m----Flexifoil Blade III 8.5m----Libra Bora 2m---- Ozone Razor 4.5m---- Force10 2.1m----NPW5 1.7m----NPW5 2.4m----NPW5 3.1m----NPW5 4.8m----NPW5 6.9m----(2) NPW9 3.4m----(3)NPW9 5.3m----NPW9 10m----NPW9 15m----NPW TEEGA 4.3m----NPW TEEGA 2.2m----NPW TEEGA .8m---- Modified Libre Full Race Buggy----Home Built Aluminum Iceflyer/Windflyer Landsailor
If you hadn\'t realized yet.......................Yes I am ADDICTED TO WIND!!!!!
US44
vwbrian

Mood: Looking for Wind

[*] posted on 5-27-2010 at 06:29 PM

Are NAPKRA dues $20 or $30?

NAPKRA REGISTRATION PAGE
Profoil 1m /
Libre Speedy 2 2.1
JOJO ET 1.5,2.5,7 / 5 RM / 8 RM+
Zebra 4M
Peter Lynn Reactor 10.8 RII 17 Bomba 10 Synergy
U-Turn Butane 7.8
PL XR+ W/extended axles
Libre Hardcore W/KBSS Bigfoot Suspension
Oregon beach links
Pansh 5m Blaze II(Eli got a hold of)
bbrex

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 03:59 AM

We are working with our insurance people to find out our renewal premium, once we know that, we will post the amount for dues, hopefully within the next 7-10 days.
Brad

What I Fly!!!
US44
jellis

Mood: SOBB

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 12:28 PM

Great posts, lots of good ideas, and any NAPKRA member can change anything in this club. It has always been and open club that way. Lots of leadership changes coming, please wish them well and show your support.
Best Regards
Jon
newtokiting

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 04:26 PM

im the only person in my area that buggies--AFAIK.....you can be sure of one thing though........if i were to somehow put a bad face on this sport due to carelessness or rudeness--that would be the end of it,im sure.......so i make sure to stay on everyones good side and i help as many kiters as i can--gives people a good impression of our sport........wish we had more open spaces here so we could get some buggy racing going.....sigh:no:
vwbrian

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 09:35 AM

Hey Guys
There are over 4000 People on The PKF Forum. We only have 47 registered with Napkra. I know that some are not buggiers and some are not from North America, Some may not be active. But this is a disgrace. Less than 1% of this forum is willing to put in $20 to $30 a year to promote and possibly open up areas to ride. Also Napkra may one day save your area from being closed. Think about it. Getting insurance for events took 2 years of hardwork of a few. Now we are on the verge of losing the insurance if we can't get buggiers to join and pay dues. With the insurance we can organize events at official kite festivals, one's we have no chance of attending and riding at with out insurance.

This year we are actually going to be able to buggy at the Washington International Kite Festival. We have an area North of the festival and It should be a great time to promote the power kite and educate people.

NAPKRA REGISTRATION PAGE
Profoil 1m /
Libre Speedy 2 2.1
Zebra 4M
U-Turn Butane 7.8
PL XR+ W/extended axles
Oregon beach links
Maven454

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 09:48 AM

I have to wonder if maybe the issue is less the $20, and more all the things to fill out and email (assuming that you have a scanner and can get it back onto the computer), plus getting a picture, mailing a check, etc...

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
ragden

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 10:02 AM

I just tried to register on the website, and it appeared to error out on me. The whole registrating process seems a bit on the painful side. Not to mention I probably wont ever put numbers on the side of my buggy since I ride a PL Comp XR and my side-rails arent really high enough to mount a number on the side of (dont race anyways).

I figured this was a decent enough cause to invest in, but the process does seem a bit painful...

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
BeamerBob

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vwbrian
Hey Guys
There are over 4000 People on The PKF Forum. We only have 47 registered with Napkra.

Realize that there really aren't more than a couple hundred regular posters here. Hundreds have never made a post or logged on in years. Your point is taken, but its not like there is an army of us here. I was a member and my membership lapsed while I was moving my family cross-country.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
bbrex

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 11:42 AM

Ragden

We are constantly trying to make the site easier to navigate.
As for numbers on the side of your buggy, we have riders down here that have the same buggy and they work fine. As for the reason for the numbers, it is not solely for racing identification but for identification to law enforcement so they can single out a rider that is causing a problem, they can then contact us to deal with them, this is one of the big positive points of interest in the Washington events and how the rangers want to work with us because of it. Numbers are not optional they are mandatory when riding at any NAPKRA event.
Life is tuff but sometimes you just have to work at it to make it work.
Regards Brad

What I Fly!!!
US44
ripsessionkites

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 12:32 PM

on THU, is my napkra day ... im going to get as much done as possible

ie. update the forum, setup the paypal account for easy pay, register some more BC members, try and re-send my waiver again.

indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bbrex
We are working with our insurance people to find out our renewal premium, once we know that, we will post the amount for dues, hopefully within the next 7-10 days.

Any update on this?

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
stetson05

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:20 PM

Thanks for the very concise instructions. :thumbup: I have thrown my lot in with NAPKRA and I hope they can process everything in time for Fathers day at Long Beach.:wee:

Quote:
Originally posted by vwbrian
Send a check for $20 to
Jon Ellis
199 Reno Cutoff Road
Woodland,WA.

Go to PILOT REGISTRATION fill out form

Take a picture of yourself (head Shot)
Save it and title it (NAPKRA picture your pilot # Your name) EXample: Napkra Picture US05 John Doe.jpg

Go to NAPKRA LIABILITY WAIVER FORM print it, fill it out, Scan it, Save it as (NAPKRA Waiver pilot # your Name) then email it along with your picture to bbrex@bellsouth.net

Go to CLASS 8 RACICING RULES scroll down to Article 3.2 Identification for number size for your buggy placards, one placard each side of buggy

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 04:28 PM

Wo Hoo,

I have looked forward to meeting you !

Bring that big old Aero II and we can try and get it in the air together ! Even if you don't have a 5 line bar it should fly on my 07.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
vwbrian

[*] posted on 6-25-2010 at 10:53 AM

Any news on the Insurance renewal?
See you all at the Long Beach Demo #2 - Jul 16-18 at Klipsan Beach, WA

NAPKRA REGISTRATION PAGE
Profoil 1m /
Libre Speedy 2 2.1
Zebra 4M
U-Turn Butane 7.8
PL XR+ W/extended axles
Oregon beach links
bbrex

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 04:43 PM

News Coming Soon. Getting our ducks in a row.
Brad

What I Fly!!!
US44
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio