Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can't brake Blade 11 4.9
fortybutnaughty

Mood: scared stiff

sad.gif posted on 5-12-2005 at 11:06 AM
Can't brake blade 11 4.9

Can anyone tell me how the hell to stop a blade 11 4.9 from killing me. Just took it out for first time and couldn't apply brakes. phew!!! have i got sore elbows and knees !!!. serve me right i suppose, shouldn't do these stupid things at forty !!! but what the hell.... how do i control the beast, please help...
Adie..
Elo1

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 11:42 AM

Im quite new to kiting myself but two things. The stronger the wind, the more the kite will pull, so dont fly in a strong wind untill you have really mastered it - and that will take quite a few months.

Second thing is, as well as pulling the breaks on hard (you know how do do the breaks right ? you hold the handles with the tops pointing foward and the bottom of the handles facing right back towards you), you can also control the power by flying out of the "wind window" the pull of the kit is strongest when 45 degrees and facing the same direction as the wind. If you fly to the right, or to the left of that, the power will be less, so you can control it like that. You can also control it by trying to slow the speed of the kite down (again by turning) the faster the kite is travelling, the more likely it is to pull really hard.

Blades are the most agressive and powerful kites, so definatly be cautious in all but the mildest winds. Take it out at first only in about 5 - 8 mph winds. Dont fly when the wind is very gusty or off and on, at least in the first month or so.

hope this helps,

Erol
CrashLama

Mood: Non Confrontational

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 01:55 PM

Hey naughty,

A Blade needs to have the top and bottom line pairs the same length. If your lineset is different than this, shorten the long lines to equal the short lines.

I assume you have handles and not a bar. If you have Flexifoil handles there are loops at the bottom of the handles. When staked to the ground by these loops the kite should remain 'parked' on the ground. If the kite still wants to take off, when it's staked this way, shorten the brake (bottom) lines a knot or two. If there are no knots on your brake bridle lines, tie a couple 2 1/2 inches apart from the knot on the end of the bridle brake lines.

Until you have the kite properly set up don't fly in strong wind. This kite will fly in 8 mph winds very nicely. Make sure there is plenty of room downwind. Fly on grass or some other soft surface until you learn to fly the kite well.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Forty has little to do with enjoying your Blade II. I know, believe me. Take your time and learn this skill. You have a great kite there which will provide you many hours of fun and smiles.

---Always fly so you can fly another day.---

CrashLama
fortybutnaughty

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 10:51 PM

Thanks crash.
Just another quick question, i was holding the handles right at the top near the main lines and thus assuming that i had not enough leverage to apply brakes. Should i hold handles more near centre.
Cheers.
fortybutnaughty

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 10:54 PM

Thanks Erol. I think i had hold of the handles too far towards main lines and had no leverage to apply breaks. perhaps i should hold handles more centrally.?
Elo1

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 03:36 AM

no, you do hold the handles at the top, when you break point the handles towards the top so that the bottom of the handles are facing horizontaly (thas if you break fully) towards you.

dont worry, youll get the hang of it, just keep away from strong winds at first, and be very careful of gusts - i fractred a rib last weekend doing a jump, wasnt concentrating ! as my mate says - remeber the fear !

You do have kite killers dont you ? these are velcro strips you put around your wrists which attach to the break line, if you let go of the handles if a powerful gust blows and you cant handle it, you let go and the kite completly depowers and deflates, floating back to land. Without your kite traveling half a mile, becauise of cause its still attached to your wrists !

If you dont have these id say there pretty much essential when your begining. Soon as you feel yourself in danger - LET GO !!!
CrashLama

Mood: Non Confrontational

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 08:44 PM

When flying I have my index finger and thumb over the main lines on the handles and the other fingers below. This is less tiring over time. If I need to brake in strong wind I'll move my hands down the handles for better leverage. It takes some practice but it works well. For learning to fly this kite don't go out in winds over 8 mph or so.

Definitey let go of the handles if you get into trouble. You don't want to get hurt. Take it easy and let the kite teach you how it likes to be flown. Light wind to start out and you'll be fine.

Don't forget your safety gear. Wear gloves at least. Leather palms and fingers will help you grip the handles. Top side of fingers and hands can be cloth for ventillation. Add kneepads, elbowpads and helmet for more protection. It sure beats picking gravel out of your skin.

---Always fly so you can fly another day.---

CrashLama
fortybutnaughty

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 02:57 AM
Blade.

Thanks to all you guys who have been most helpful.
Please keep the tips coming. I am still picking gravel out of wounds !!!!!!!!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio