Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 17m Ozone Zephyr - Light Wind kite
windzup

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 8-18-2009 at 07:46 AM
17m Ozone Zephyr - Light Wind kite

The Ozone distributor in Spain just sent us the first Ozone Zephyr sample. Kites are currently in production at the Ozone factory and should be delivering in the next few weeks.

The Zephyr is a new kite model from Ozone, available in a single 17m size. It is an optimized design for this size offering a dedicated light wind kite, that is also a freestyle powerhouse in moderately light wind.

We took it out to Utah Lake last night where the wind was light and steady from the north. it had kicked up to 12mph by the time a 2oo + pound rider was planing upwind on a mid size board. (started on a glide and sized down after first tack)

As the wind came up it averaged 12-15mph over the 3 hour session. 3 riders switched off on the Zephyr, including a 160 pounder and myself at 190 pounds. I was powered on a Underground 132 deck.

So, the kite is well constructed with beefy material and no extra gimmicky stuff stitched into the leading edge, a total minimalist kite, all the way down to the bridle. Laid next to a 13 Edge and a 15m Sport kites, the Zephyr has a moderate aspect ratio that falls between the two other kites. The Zephyr has 5 struts and thicker tubes than the other Ozone models. On a scale, the new 17m weighed almost the same as the 15m Sport, must be the lighter weight material!

In 12mph the kite had plenty of power to crank upwind. It relaunched flawlessly and quickly, rolling over on itself. I'd even say it relaunched better than the 15m due to the new shape. The Zephyr flies on the standard Ozone 2009 4 line bar, so you can switch bars around to any 4 line kite.

In the sky the kites agility could be compared to the 13m Edge, it loops quickly and in a small window, allowing you to work the kite when needed, and maneuver quickly to get out of trouble. The bar pressure is light, especially for the size, you can tell when you steer and the bar swings easily left and right with direct input to the kite as there are ZERO Pulleys on the Zephyr. But, as you pull the bar in you can feel the power as the kite loads up and lets you lean way back digging in your board edge.

All in all a very fun kite to fly and a solid performer in the 17m range. I would give it thumbs up for the following:
Light wind power and agility.
Bigger guys kite for all conditions.
Big Air kite for light to moderate wind depending on your weight.

Hello Zephyr....Hello Light Wind.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

www.FlyOzoneUSA.com
USA_Eli_A

Mood: Ozone For Life

[*] posted on 8-18-2009 at 12:15 PM

drool. I want one!!!

snobdr

[*] posted on 11-16-2009 at 08:15 PM

Will this kite be up at kitestorm, or the tug hill jam this year?

herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 01:34 PM

@windzup: do you remember the weight of the zephyr ? or might someone here be so nice and weight it ?

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
tridude

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 05:15 PM

Im on my 12m Speed 2/139 KGB in 12 to 15................................19m SA2/Spleene 159/7kts upwind........................this is the ultimate lightwind combo..................:lol::lol::duh::duh:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 05:23 PM

If I was going to do the tube thing, the Zephyr would be the kite I'd look at first.

Tri - might have scored myself Spleene Door 154 ... the deal is going VERY slowly though :D

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
tridude

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 4-20-2010 at 05:54 PM

cant go wrong with Ozone..........................appears they dropped the Dacron tips for weight reduction...........the doors are awesome..........hope your deal goes thru...................there was a 154 for sale here in Charleston on craigslist but was gone in a flash.........................had a chance to see Powerzones 134 Rip while he was in town last month.....................basically looks like a smaller version of the Door......................pure quality!

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
herc

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 10:42 AM

This was a fun session with the Ozone Zephyr. The wind was something between 5 to 14 knots with an average around 8 knots i would guess (no windmeter was at hand).

The Zephyr delivered nicely. Altough the kite was not properly mumped up, because
the air inlet valve plug broke loose - a well known flaw of the 2009/2010 ozone tubekite range - it still flew very good.

The zephyr gave me a very smooth, relaxed ride. soft, but strong power builtup. If there was some wind, i could just park the kite and it had plenty of power to give me a "skilift" uphill. Then, going downhill, apparent wind kicked in and i could nicely control the power of the kite by sheeting the bar out.

Very good and linear depower indeed ! I never felt overpowered on the zephyr.
This is in contrast to the 21 sqm flysurfer speed3 i tested the same day. The flysurfer21 had twice the power/lift of the zephyr, but was obviously way too much for me on my short snowblades. I was even involuntarily lifted by the speed3 21 fully depowered - something i really dont like about foil kites. I would guess while tubekites deliver a 98% depower range (sheet out until the ripstop flutters), even the best foils can only depower to maybe 90%. (depower ratio of flysurfer speed3 is 1:9 , isnt it? might improve with the adaptive profile of the speed4)

Another aspect is stability. That is an aspect tubekites win handsdown ! Problem was we were kiting in a rotor zone with turbulent winds. During the 4 hour session the flysurfer rider hat several bowties and collapses and had to relaunch the kite (which went surprisingly smooth - on an arc kite that would have been more "interesting"). The zephyr instead just rattled a bit on the bar and stayed in the window where it belongs , continuously cruising along.

A common drawback of tubekites is also present with the 2010 zephyr: occasional hindenburging. This means that the kite, if parked in the zenith, and the wind drops suddenly, just front-stalls and drops out of the sky with no way to recover it. you can only watch that thing falling down and hoping for the best - please no stones or other sharp objects piercing my front tube.. please no sudden gust ripping me of my feet with the kite fully lit in the power zone...

To sum it up: i was totally blown away how well the zephyr handled the low wind situation and how smooth the ride was. Of course, the 21flysurfer speed3 will get you going earlier... but not that much. maybe you get an advantage of 2-3 knots. in anything above 8 knots, i personally would prefer a tubekite because of the smooth depower.

now with the advent of the zero strut tubekites (google airrush "lithium zero" or "maui cloud") there is little reason to buy a highly expensive foil like a flysurfer speed4, except if you are into racing (better airfoil hence better upwind), for that extra lowend and for nopump (and maybe durability).

^^900 euro - well invested. still stoked from last weekends fun.

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
herc

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 12:14 PM

video from that day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGEOeUkC2s

Kites:
tridude

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 12:28 AM

Nice vid..................I have the 2012 Zephyr and love it...........just a suggestion but in low winds like in your vid you can install 4m line extensions which really help. I've done this with mine on water and you can add about 2 mph to the lower end as long as you follow the kite while building speed then work back upwind..........since buying and enjoying the Zephyr I've added 12 and 10 meter Catalysts to the quiver.......Ozone makes a great kite!

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
herc

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 03:30 AM

thanks !
good idea, next time i will add 10 meters to my 20 meter long lines. or i will actually try to fly with my bar-free setup using that treeclimbing harness and just use my 30 meter lineset.

but if i were to buy a new lightwind tube, i would totally dig into those zero-strut kites (maui cloud 17 sqm or airush zero 18 sqm) - those are probably the perfect tubesnowkites !

Kites:
Sier_Pinski

[*] posted on 5-21-2013 at 07:23 PM

Has anyone tested the new 2013 Zephyr and how it compares to the old ones as well as the Slingshot Turbine? I heard it got some improved low end performance.

www.scottwmcmichael.com

Follow me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkp98zhhoUhdR7bZvRhAfUw

Ozone Access 10M (2014) -- Ozone Quattro 3M -- MBS Atom Landboard -- Eolo Buggy Harness

Revolution Reflex 1.5 Classic -- Prism Micron -- Samsung Gear 360 Camera
tridude

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 06:46 AM

My 2012 Zephyr has rocked the low winds at JIBE the last two years.............Van and Phreerider can testify to this.........the low end is awesome but what is overlooked, the range.......I've flown this kite in 20 mph winds with no issues........depow is amazing..........clean bar and lines, no pulleys, no hassles, great kite!

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Houston AirHead

Mood: Smooth winds

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 09:30 AM

I just got a 17m Best Taboo, which some compare to the zepher and turbine ranking 3d of the three kites. i had a chance to static fly it, lots of power in very little wind, full review once i get it out on the water. 1st being the turbine of course but horrible top so ive heard.

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3
Ace II 8 - for sale rarely used....

don pitcher

[*] posted on 7-24-2013 at 06:34 PM

A friend of mine and I did a lightwind shootout with a 17m Zephyr, a modified 20m Waroo, and a 15m Speed2 Deluxe. We were both shocked at how bad the Zephyr was compared to the other two kites with regard to lightwind.

Here is my friend's review.

http://www.mackite.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5034&s...
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 7-25-2013 at 05:17 PM

Don't let PMU see that Don :lol:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio