Power Kite Forum

IBX22

Windstruck - 7-11-2021 at 11:21 AM

Time to get this thread started!

I just went on the www.ivanpahbuggyexpo.com to look for 2022 dates but alas found none. I know we work to snuggle in between the different land sailor and Blokart events, sharing the same tent, port a potties, etc.

Does anybody know the dates and who's leading the efforts? I now live in St George in Southern Utah and am only a couple hour drive from Primm. I'm happy to pitch in more than in the past, being almost a local.

I'm getting excited! It has been way too long since I've seen my wind loving tribe.

ColinW - 9-11-2021 at 02:20 PM

Getting there is on my to do list!

BeamerBob - 9-11-2021 at 03:18 PM

Contact Brian and see if there is anything you can help with. Due to distance and life changes, I've stepped away as an organizer but will always be a supporter and well wisher for our event.

Windstruck - 10-11-2021 at 04:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeamerBob  
Contact Brian and see if there is anything you can help with. Due to distance and life changes, I've stepped away as an organizer but will always be a supporter and well wisher for our event.

Can do Bob and I've got his personal contact information. I assumed he was in the driver's seat but thought I'd put something up on PKF just to start a thread. Sounds as if we will be missing you! :(

Randy - 10-11-2021 at 05:50 AM

Are ATB's a viable option at Ivanpah? From Bob's video's the surface looks pretty rough.

ColinW - 10-11-2021 at 10:42 AM

Anything from buggies to atbs to wheels of doom. The surface in spots can be a bit cobbley, but most of the texture is cracks below the overall surface. Think old asphalt, without the potholes. It allows for speed and retention of inertia. You'll probably want to downsize kites from what you are used to. Don't forget safety gear. the surface is unyielding and rough. The overall lakebed surfaces varies, and I usually find a nice smooth stretch not far from camp. Camp is set up (in the past) by the land sailors, and the blokarters seem to pick the preferred smooth spots.
The IBX website has some good info. Although it hasn't been updated in while the playa doesn't change much. https://www.ivanpahbuggyexpo.com/

Randy - 10-11-2021 at 11:54 AM

Thanks. I'm thinking Las Vegas is pretty cheap to fly in and out of, and an ATB and a surfwing would be pretty easy to get on on airplane. Might just work be possble, since it probably wouldn't conflict with JIBE or my usual spring trip to the Outer Banks.

Windstruck - 10-11-2021 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  
Thanks. I'm thinking Las Vegas is pretty cheap to fly in and out of, and an ATB and a surfwing would be pretty easy to get on on airplane. Might just work be possble, since it probably wouldn't conflict with JIBE or my usual spring trip to the Outer Banks.

You haven't seen anything until you've seen K2 (bladerunner) rip the playa with a wing in his hands and Coyotes on his feet. Blew me away first time I saw that. Balls like Bull.

Windstruck - 10-11-2021 at 12:29 PM

Randy - as I'm sure is the case back East, us Westerners are a generous crowd and you will surely find yourself in a spare buggy too. Come out!

Randy - 10-11-2021 at 01:05 PM

:thumbup: Thanks I'll keep the dates open and see what develops.

Windstruck for the win!

jeepersjoey - 10-11-2021 at 08:25 PM

Steve,

You made me smile. You are consistently awesome and that is why you make me smile.

I'll be there in 2022.

iPaul

Windstruck - 21-11-2021 at 08:27 AM

Dates for IBX2022 set - Monday, March 28th through Friday, April 1st. As we've done these recent years, our big gathering for dinner, etc. will be on Thursday. It's been a couple of years; let's make this the best IBX yet!!!

Randy - 21-11-2021 at 08:58 AM

:thumbup:

Windstruck - 18-1-2022 at 06:15 AM

Great thanks to Wei - the IBX website has the official 2022 dates and countdown ticker going. It has been WAY TOO LONG since we've gathered on the majestic Ivanpah playa as a crew and I'm hopeful many can make it this year. The ultimate social distancing event!

Official IBX Site

:wee: :wee:

RedSky - 18-1-2022 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  
Are ATB's a viable option at Ivanpah? From Bob's video's the surface looks pretty rough.

nuff said :D

Windstruck - 5-2-2022 at 09:52 AM

Wei kindly updated the IBX website with new and improved 2022 dates and related timely info. Thanks Wei! A number of us (most notably, iPaul, Amy, and Brian) have been working hard behind the scenes getting things in place for this AWESOME event. So far only iPaul and I are signed up. I'm going to be reaching out to folks directly ringing the bell and we hope many, many people are able to join the festivities this year! It has been way, way too long my brothers and sisters. See you on the playa!

Here is where you can sign up:

IBX Official Website

jeepersjoey - 5-2-2022 at 06:46 PM

The wife is now registered!

And she has a very special PKF handle!! Hehe

jeepersjoey - 13-2-2022 at 06:32 PM

Ok...4 people registered and I am 50% of them!

Get in there and register before the price rises and you don't get a t-shirt (instant gratification) at the event.

Me.

Dagon - 22-2-2022 at 12:16 PM

I just took the time off of work, me and my son will be there. It has been far too long for me, I am looking forward to it. Is there a hotel code?

jeepersjoey - 23-2-2022 at 06:10 PM

I can answer this...

Unfortunately, the Hotel said that we never made our numbers (I heard that even if we all stayed there we would not make the numbers they want) and after 30 minutes of yelling at Awesome Amy (you will meet her this year) they said no more.

Honestly, the hotels are real world cheap.

Better yet, bring a tent and camp out with your son. It will be Remarkable and memorable!

Paul

Only 2 weekends until IBX

jeepersjoey - 6-3-2022 at 07:51 PM

There are not a lot of people registered for the event.

I am hoping there are a lot of people who are waiting until the last moment and then deciding.

The event is mostly self-supported so we need you to attend which provides us the feedback that the event is desired.

Previous IBX have exceeded $5k in expenditures. We are looking to reduce this cost. For example, BLM charges $1k, toilets are $1k, insurance is $1k.

March 11th is the deadline for pre-registration. On the 12th the event t-shirt is no longer included and the cost of each shirt increases $5 to offset the cost of having to ship all shirts after the event.

People who register before deadline are included on the first shirt order. Those after the deadline will be in the 2nd order that will occur after the event.

In an effort to reduce excess shirts we are only ordering what was listed at registration.

Therefore, I ask you to please support the event and register so that we can understand who will be there and also so you can get an awesome shirt at the event.

Thanks!
Paul Glasspoole

Windstruck - 22-3-2022 at 02:00 AM

Really started to get excited to be back on the Playa. With no IBX2021, it has been far too long since spending days on end hanging with good friends and feeling the wind pull me around the wide open expanse. The gear is getting sorted in the garage, bolts tightened, all that jazz.

Here's hoping just one or two more get pulled over the edge and make the trip next week.