Power Kite Forum

Gin Iced Bar

utahtami - 4-11-2020 at 08:52 PM

Has anyone tried cutting the floats off the Gin Iced bar? It seems like a lot of extra bulk. That Peak 1 bar is so simple and compact.

Wind_dog - 4-11-2020 at 09:38 PM

Floats?
I don't need no stinkin' floats.
Always the first thing I take off any bar to lighten the load.

Yes,the Peak 1 bar bar was simple and light but needed a flared hole to enable
de-powering while turning the kite. Seemed like it was an either or maneuver.

And I do like a lightweight trim system. Makes a trip to the Iredale shipwreck
with a 12m in building wind more sane. :D

As soon as I can get outta lockdown I'll be testing my new Totem Universal bar, sans floats.
Looks promising.

Kober - 4-11-2020 at 11:18 PM

Ice bar V3 solves that problem .... no floats there ....

B-Roc - 4-12-2020 at 12:40 PM

Which Shamans do you have and how do you like them?

utahtami - 4-12-2020 at 06:10 PM

I have the whole quiver (4, 6, 9, 12) of 1st generation. I love them. And am fortunate enough to be still getting a lot of kiting sessions in at an "isolated" meadow at almost 10,000 ft in southern Utah.

Windstruck - 4-13-2020 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Wind_dog  

As soon as I can get outta lockdown I'll be testing my new Totem Universal bar, sans floats.
Looks promising.

Rick - glad to see you got a Totem Universal bar. All of my bars are this model. There are a lot of good solutions out there and I think this is one of them. To date I've yet to break one and I've been pretty rough on them from time to time. Just looking at them I was originally concerned that the plastic triangle shaped end pieces looked like the weak link in the bar, but so far so good.

Windstruck - 4-13-2020 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by utahtami  
I have the whole quiver (4, 6, 9, 12) of 1st generation. I love them. And am fortunate enough to be still getting a lot of kiting sessions in at an "isolated" meadow at almost 10,000 ft in southern Utah.

So happy you are still able to get some. Naturally distanced!

Feyd - 4-13-2020 at 02:10 PM

Tammy. I would be surprised if there would be an issue with trimming the floats. They aren't structural. To do it safely, you'll have to pull the leaders out and reinstall after. I personally prefer the earlier version bars like your's over the V3 however the throw on the V3 and trim are longer. I've replaced the center line leaders on the earlier version bars to match the current bars.

Feyd - 4-13-2020 at 03:30 PM

Check that. The stall handle is stitched so pulling the leaders is a PITA. Its a very simple mod. Grab a steak knife and carefully cut along the mold flashing running the length of the float. You don't have to cut all the way, just about 1/2 in. This avoids any risk oof nicking the leader line.

Also cut in at the final segment of the articulated end closest to the bar. There is a fairly large cavity there so you can cut clear thru without too much chance of nicking the leader.

Now hole the float and pull the leader up thru the flashing that you pre-cut. The leader will cut thru like a cheese cutter.

4 minutes to do both sides.

B-Roc - 4-14-2020 at 05:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Wind_dog  
Floats?

Looks promising.

Are you using it on 4 or 5 line kites? How much did it cost you?

Wind_dog - 4-14-2020 at 10:29 AM

Although most of my kites could be 4 or 5 lines,
and the bar will work for both,
I prefer 4 lines and FLS for where I ride, what I do.
One less line to hassle and less bridling.

Bar was
199 euros plus shipping came to $262 USD
I think VAT was removed for US sale which about equaled shipping.
What I was looking for:
Simple, light, clamcleat, long depower range.

utahtami - 4-14-2020 at 11:27 AM

Thanks, Chris!