Power Kite Forum

Need full set up: foil kite 9-10m, harness...

Juliesan - 12-27-2017 at 08:53 AM

Hi, I'm looking to purchase my first set up. I'm looking for a foil kite, probably 9-10m. Also need bar, harness,etc... I'm 120lbs 5'4" so probably small harness. Any recommendations appreciated. Show me what you've got for sale

RedSky - 12-27-2017 at 10:10 AM

depower as your 1st setup?

Bladerunner - 12-27-2017 at 11:04 AM

Do you have any experience with this type / size of kite?
Time on a trainer?

Windstruck - 12-27-2017 at 11:11 AM

Had to do it! :evil:

MadHungarian - 12-27-2017 at 12:23 PM

Please provide more information so the sages on this forum can give you useful advice.
What is your experience level and on what type of kite?
What do you intend to use the kite for (snow kiting, kite surfing, land boarding, buggy)?
What area do you live and where you intend to use the kite (because there may be other kiters in your area that can help you get started)?

Ed Cline - 12-27-2017 at 03:08 PM

Show me what you've got for sale" first set up"

Well, the "first" part is right! If you start the way you're planning then which 10m you buy won't really matter that much. You'll only use it once or twice. Buy something in good enough shape to sell, so you can buy the 3m you need.

My first real kite was a 7.7 twister. The first kite that was any use to me was a 3m. I bought a 5.5 in between time though. After all I was so sure of myself it wouldn't take long to grow into a bigger kite, why mess with a little 3m?
I'm not the only one here with a similar story. Did I mention abrasions contusions and a cracked rib?

Welcome aboard, listen to the advice you will undoubtably get about buying a three meter to start, and for a higher wind kite the 3m will always be a handy session saver when the wind is blowing your hat off.

If you already have more experience than I'm guessing then I apologize for going all Dutch uncle on you, but you really need to hear strongly that there's no way a 10m is a first kite, even if you weighed in double what you stated. :cool:

Juliesan - 12-30-2017 at 07:44 PM

Thanks for the useful and others for the useless information!

I've been merrily kite-boarding with a 7m and 9m "Ultimate Excellence" in 12-15 knots primarily in Mexico, Cuba and Southern California. I'm confident but still have only been kite boarding a few times a year when I get to the ocean.
I've also been speed riding and paragliding everything from an 8m to a 23m wing (though supremely different kite handling) for about 10 years, so lots of kite/wing experience.

However, I live in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and my intention of learning to kite board was to transition to snow kiting. Locals have suggested I get a 6-9-12 quiver and a seat harness. Average wind speed here is 5mph, however there are days with gusts of 25mph. I would be more than happy with inflatable as well, so the kites can come with me year around. Sligshot Rally has been recommended as a great mountain kite, forgiving in gusts and user friendly.

All recommendations appreciated.

nate76 - 12-30-2017 at 08:36 PM

Hey Juliesan, where in Colorado are you? Feel free to pm me - I live in Colorado Springs but also ride more westerly locations and might be able to give you some advice/suggestions for the area. Might also have some kites available for you, but I'd like to get a better idea of where you plan to ride.

RedSky - 12-31-2017 at 01:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Juliesan  
Thanks for the useful and others for the useless information!

I've been merrily kite-boarding with a 7m and 9m "Ultimate Excellence" in 12-15 knots primarily in Mexico, Cuba and Southern California. I'm confident but still have only been kite boarding a few times a year when I get to the ocean.
I've also been speed riding and paragliding everything from an 8m to a 23m wing (though supremely different kite handling) for about 10 years, so lots of kite/wing experience.

However, I live in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and my intention of learning to kite board was to transition to snow kiting. Locals have suggested I get a 6-9-12 quiver and a seat harness. Average wind speed here is 5mph, however there are days with gusts of 25mph. I would be more than happy with inflatable as well, so the kites can come with me year around. Sligshot Rally has been recommended as a great mountain kite, forgiving in gusts and user friendly.

All recommendations appreciated.

^^ You should have introduced yourself like this from the start. Your first post had all the hallmarks of a scammer, hence nobody took you seriously.

Welcome.

Juliesan - 1-5-2018 at 09:25 PM

Thanks Nate76, I'm in Crested Butte.

nate76 - 1-6-2018 at 03:07 PM

Cool - there are some great kiting locations out your way. Not sure which locals you're talking to, but there is a great group of kiters out your direction that ski central/western CO kite spots. Most of them do more of their coordinating on the Kiteforum website, specifically a thread called "Kite-o-rado snowkiting conditions". You might want to check it out. One of the guys lives just north of Gunnison and is a super guy.

Depending on what you plan on getting into, most of my mountain kiting is done with a 5.5m Apex and 8m Montana or 9m Matrixx. With that said, about 70-80% of my kiting annually is done on kites that are 15m or larger in non-mountain slopes. That would include plateau areas like Snow Mesa. It seems like there are lots of times that you get a post-storm lull right after it drops snow, so I've always needed a big kite to take advantage of the good snow before it melts. That's probably more of a problem for me on the Front Range where the snow melts really quick.

If you have a paragliding/speedriding background, I think you'll find the transition pretty intuitive, although as you are probably well aware, winds in the mountains are totally different than on the beach and need to be respected. I would advise getting some time on a frozen lake with some good snow coverage before you start venturing into the mountains. For you that might mean something like Taylor Park, Blue Mesa or Dillon reservoirs. Not knowing how connected you already are to a group out there, those are just some of my initial thoughts/recommendations.

As for actual kites, I'm a local HQ/HQ4 rep so you're more than welcome to try anything I have, otherwise I would connect with some of the folks out your way. They might have some gear recommendations (I know some of them prefer to ride tube kites) and maybe even some stuff to sell to an aspiring newb. I've also noticed some deals floating around here on some used gear.

Good Luck! Would be fun to get out together sometime; I try to get out your way at least once or twice a winter, so maybe we can keep in touch and eventually meet up.

Nate

Ed Cline - 1-7-2018 at 01:55 PM

As a provider of useless information, you are welcome. (Digitus Secundus)

nate76 - 1-11-2018 at 09:50 PM

Hey Juliesan, just heard from Scott who lives very close to you - sounds like he is selling some gear that might work for you. I'm pretty sure he'd allow you to try the stuff out 1st before you commit to buying anything. He'd be a good person to connect with regardless for kiting in your area. Feel free to PM/ text me and I will get you his contact info.

Kober - 1-12-2018 at 01:30 AM

I need to check my storage. I may have 10m de-power kite .. Gin Sherpa

WELCOME JULIESAN !!

ynot - 1-12-2018 at 07:18 PM

Welcome to kiting in the Gunnison valley. Great bunch of friendly snow and water kiters here!
And some great spots, the only park n ride spots with a decent base currently are Town Ranch (W, NW and N winds), Snodgrass trailhead (south wind), 1/4 mile past Wash. Gulch trailhead (W or NW). Have a ski pass?, then the Gold Link trails take N or NW wind, before 9 am or after 4:30 in accordance with CBMRs uphill policy. And I don't think Scott has missed a day at Taylor Park in the last month, all wind directions, gets more wind flow than sites around CB, about an hour drive. We'll be checking Kite Hill (east end of Whiterock Mtn, about 700' vert.) this w/e, any wind direction except north, 2 or 3 mile sled or hike in. The east end of Blue Mesa Reservoir needs a couple inches more, that's where you may want to start. Expeditions to Jarosa and Snow Mesas (past Lake City) are big fun all day endeavors!! Hey, if you know how to kitesurf already you'll be ripping on snow in no time.
Avy Savy note: stay off slopes >25 degrees unless you really know the snowpack, use a clinometer (or phone app) to recognize steepness.
I have an extra 11m HQ Neo II here in CB you can use. If you have your inflatable kites use them. ScottN on kiteforum.com has some nice Ozone foils for sale, he's in the valley too.
Got a climbing harness? Preferred by many for snow.
BTW, haven't seen anyone else use a FB kite here ever, flew a Bandit 6, 8 years go. Can't imagine not having depower, it can be gusty.
https://vimeo.com/17448031 Here's THE mountain kiting instructional video, credit Boulgakow.
I kite skied town ranch (east of town behind the school last couple days, not quite enough wind with 15m to plow the deep pow, only planed up a couple of times, so went hill climbing on the wall of the gravel quarry, only about 100' vertical, slomo turns or 3 seconds of airtime woohoo! BTW, HGing CB for 39 years.

Yup, I understand making my first post in Classfieds is just so wrong, done here, join us on the kind and welcoming, all inclusive kiteforum.

See ya out there.
Tony Brown

PS. Digitus Tertius to know it alls, and combine that with Digitus Secundus ( = index finger, checking the wind Ed?) PEACE TO ALL.
PSS. Think you're a safety nut? Get emergency medical training, and POLITELY influence those in your realm so you won't need to use those skills.