Power Kite Forum

2017 fall SOBB

eric67m - 6-25-2017 at 08:55 PM

When will the SOBB dates be for fall for this year?

I'm trying to plan around labor day and other events with the family. It seems like it is usually the weekend before and labor day weekend.

Morrie Williams - 6-26-2017 at 10:57 AM

It's the weekend of Labor day and the following weekend.

Sept 2-10

Wind_dog - 6-26-2017 at 06:06 PM

Oh boy!
It's now on my calendar!

Who's coming??

Lucy and I will be there . . . .

ColinW - 6-26-2017 at 09:45 PM

I should be there.
I think my ribs will be healed by then too.
The boss says I'm Not allowed to go without an AQR tho...:embarrased:

ColinW - 6-28-2017 at 07:06 PM

WOW!
Nobody can shut down a thread like I can:D
Those WBB guys are all over the place...
West coasters stand up and be heard!
There are at least 19 or 20 Kens in Vancouver BC that have yet to be accounted for... and Gerald; are you saving yourself for Thanksgiving this year?
Patrick? are you're ribs ok?
Blitz? Surely you'll be there.
Sunset Jim will have to be there... I'm expecting to park my 58 foot motor home on his front lawn:o:P
Prolly nothing nicer than an Oregon late summer beach, no matter what the Jersey Boys say.
colin

Bladerunner - 6-29-2017 at 02:46 AM

Ha Ha
Looks like I may be able to get there for a few days. Not sure about the other Ken's.

Gerald usually goes to Alvord in the fall.

sand flea - 6-29-2017 at 04:49 PM

It's not you Colin,
Everyone is out kiting!
Really nice weather, wind and Sunset is as beautiful as ever.

I'm looking forward to seeing Blade and the Crew
I'll be there for the week.....Yeeehaw!

See ya at the beach

hiaguy - 6-29-2017 at 07:07 PM

Don't be dissin' the Jersey crew! Blade and BigKid have been there and they know how great WBB is. :wee:
Personally, I spent 20 years livin' in the GVRD, flying 2-lines at Garry Point, but that was before I'd ever seen a buggy. :(
With only 102 days 'till WBB, you've still got time to plan...

Blitzhound - 6-29-2017 at 07:31 PM

You know I'll be there Collin. How are doing? You gonna be healed up?

KiteBit - 6-30-2017 at 10:19 AM

I'll be there! Definitely looking forward to it. My ribs are almost completely healed. I'm hoping to get an AQR from bigkid.

Blitzhound - 6-30-2017 at 10:59 PM

Damn it Patrick. You better be there. I miss you brother. I'll bring lots of duct tape to patch any war wounds you have or get haha.
You need you one of these Peaks...or two.

ColinW - 7-3-2017 at 03:22 PM

Yup. I'm up and attem.
over 4 weeks now and I'm mostly better.
Went back to work too soon, after 2 weeks, but tried to take it easy.
It still hurts to sneeze, and my upper back hurts at the end of the day, but I know HOW LUCKY I am to have not done much permanent damage.
I went down to Clover Point in town on Canada Day and flew my Flex 1.4 m. static, just to get back on the horse:thumbup:

Patrick,
We'll have to get bulk pricing on AQRs from Jeff... Roberta won't let me back out without one:flaming::dunno:

Blitzhound - 7-4-2017 at 08:11 AM

Glad to hear you're doing good Collin. The AQR seems like a good safety setup to keep you in your seat. That's for sure. I'm sure Jeff will be happy to set you up. While some might shoot me for the meer suggestion of it. Have you given any thoughts to Depower? Especially the newer ones with additional safety measures built in? Just a thought.

ColinW - 7-4-2017 at 06:11 PM

Depowers?...
Just built the fixed bridle(d) quiver that I like. Never enough kites tho. I've flown Joey's 7.5 Apex a few times, but it is pretty plodding. It's a very old generation tho. The family just laughs and shrugs now when I talk about just one more addition.
Rick spent most of the last SOBB trying to get me to fly his peaks. He is definitely far more sensible than I.
I love the control of handles. Maybe I should take up revolution flying, and then fly depowers with the buggy.
I, just like my quiver and buggy collection, am a work in progress:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

Blitzhound - 7-4-2017 at 09:54 PM

I hear ya brother. I like the fixed bridles as well. They're fun as hell. But under a depower like my ARCs or even my new peak 3 it's definitely much safer. I'd turn my wife loose on my Phantom or Peak. That's how safe they are. But...there's nothing like a 3.5m Century in 25mph winds to make you feel alive!

Bladerunner - 7-29-2017 at 07:44 AM

Chances of getting to SOBB are getting slim. An out of town wedding and Alaska cruise are eating up my vacation time.
Still hoping to get down for the long weekend?

ColinW - 7-29-2017 at 10:55 PM

Looks like there'll be a couple brand new Blurrs for you to try Ken. If you don't make it, I'll walk on the ferry and you can try mine in Steveston.

Small world fact of the day: I think my cousin recently took the job as Richmond's Chief bylaw enforcement officer. Maybe I can get us out of a ticket, or maybe not knowing my cousin:rolleyes::puzzled:
I think you mainland guys have your access back, but If not, I'm happy to start a dialogue with him.
colin

sand flea - 7-30-2017 at 06:18 AM

Blade, bummer but an Alaskan cruise sounds pretty sweet!
I hope it works out for you.

The beach is better when the Crew is there!!!

sand flea - 8-17-2017 at 09:10 AM

Remember we are going to try surf fishing
So bring your fishing poles and tackle box!

sand flea - 8-17-2017 at 09:13 AM

Remember we are going to try surf fishing
So bring your fishing poles and tackle box!

ColinW - 8-17-2017 at 03:09 PM

Not that I don't like fishing, but weren't we making fun of those guys last spring?
:P

sand flea - 8-17-2017 at 04:33 PM

It was funny until they caught like 12 perch, a 3 foot long cod and a flounder the size of a car tire in a half hour!

Then Rick an I started thinking about buggy camp dinner....

Wouldn't that be fun?

Wind_dog - 8-17-2017 at 04:53 PM

Count me in!

Also thinking about trying for crabs on a baited line . . . . mmmmmm.

ColinW - 8-19-2017 at 12:01 PM

I'll see if my kiting tourist visa will allow for resource extraction. If not, I'll cut bait.:bigok:

eric67m - 8-19-2017 at 02:30 PM

Let's be realistic, if there is wind we are flying kites to buggy. We will figure out food if the wind stops or it gets too dark.

sand flea - 8-19-2017 at 04:32 PM

If there's wind I won't be fishing!

Did we save the foos ball table?

stetson05 - 8-22-2017 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sand flea  
It was funny until they caught like 12 perch, a 3 foot long cod and a flounder the size of a car tire in a half hour!

Then Rick an I started thinking about buggy camp dinner....

Wouldn't that be fun?

Bring your fishing poles and there is bound to be wind. Either way, you are diversified.

sand flea - 8-27-2017 at 11:46 AM

So close it's all I can think about!

I'll be at camp Saturday morning

Wind_dog - 8-27-2017 at 02:46 PM

Started packing the toys today!
Planning to arrive Friday.

eric67m - 8-27-2017 at 05:15 PM

I cannot start packing yet. I have to make a trip to ocean shores to pick up my buggy and half of my kites on labor day. Then two days at work and then down to buggy camp.

Morrie, are you going to put up the tides and buggy camp directions in case someone new wants to join us?

I cannot wait....

ColinW - 8-27-2017 at 05:38 PM

Booked on the ferry for the Friday. I'm going to tent camp with you guys for a couple nights, so might stay the night in a seedy motel on the way down. Gotta pick up a black market AQR on the way too.
As I will be travelling alone this time, Roberta has asked that you guys will make sure to cal 911 if required:frog:
Soooo looking forward to it!
Colin
P.s. I'll bring my fishing pole and some waders? or maybe just a fillet knife and a fork.:karate:

Morrie Williams - 8-28-2017 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  

Morrie, are you going to put up the tides and buggy camp directions in case someone new wants to join us?

Here are the tides and directions:

Attachment: SOBB 2017 Fall Tides.pdf (42kB)
This file has been downloaded 309 times

Attachment: SOBB Buggy Camp.pdf (119kB)
This file has been downloaded 298 times

Morrie Williams - 8-28-2017 at 07:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ColinW  

Roberta has asked that you guys will make sure to cal 911 if required:frog:

Tell Roberta that we will make sure to take good care of you!

sand flea - 8-29-2017 at 05:32 PM

Bladerunner!
Missin you
The anticipation is killing me....

Ya gonna come on down?

Morrie Williams - 8-30-2017 at 09:51 AM

Who all will be there Saturday night? Will there be enough for a spaghetti feed?

mmm...spaghetti.

KiteBit - 8-30-2017 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Morrie Williams  
Who all will be there Saturday night? Will there be enough for a spaghetti feed?

I'll be there!

sand flea - 8-30-2017 at 03:57 PM

I'll be there too!

Wind_dog - 8-30-2017 at 04:14 PM

Oh, oh, oh, me too, me too!
Mmmmm.

Morrie Williams - 8-31-2017 at 12:04 PM

Dinner will be served about 7, so be there or get cold spaghetti!

Morrie Williams - 8-31-2017 at 12:21 PM

Dinner will be served about 7, so be there or get cold spaghetti!

bigkid - 8-31-2017 at 05:11 PM

Just like a kid, you have to tell them at least twice or they won't remember. Do you serve cold French bread with the cold spaghetti?:D

eric67m - 8-31-2017 at 07:42 PM

Cold whiskey? Cold beer?

Morrie Williams - 9-1-2017 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bigkid  
Just like a kid, you have to tell them at least twice or they won't remember. Do you serve cold French bread with the cold spaghetti?:D

Depends on if someone brings French bread.

BeamerBob - 9-1-2017 at 04:13 PM

I was doing ok not getting to be there till someone mentioned spaghetti! You guys have a blast and be safe.

Windstruck - 9-2-2017 at 03:20 AM

Wish I could be joining you guys for what will surely be a wonderful few days together doing what we all love so much. Have fun! :thumbup::thumbup:

P.S. If a spare PL black kite buggy dry bag ends up in the mix please remember there's a lone soul in Utah unable to pull away from home issues right now dying to get his hands on one! :)

eric67m - 9-2-2017 at 03:59 AM

"Times up, let's do this."
-Leeroy Jenkins

Let the fun and festivities begin. See you all on Wednesday night.

sand flea - 9-2-2017 at 05:34 AM

It's finally here!

See ya on the beach!

sand flea - 9-5-2017 at 02:33 PM

It's finally here!

See ya on the beach!

vwbrian - 9-5-2017 at 05:18 PM

Had a great time. Thanks everyone for such a great time. See you at spring SOBB.

ColinW - 9-14-2017 at 04:45 PM

Anyone else going through buggy camp withdrawal?
Life back in the real world SUCKS! (comparatively speaking)
All you retired guys are sooo lucky!
Just sayin...
colin
p.s. Sean: thanks for the crab snare, but turns out they're illegal up here. At least I'll be ready for spring SOBB.:rolleyes:

Wind_dog - 9-14-2017 at 07:22 PM

YES, SOBB withdrawal is a reality here too.

I keep replaying some of the finest sessions in my mind,
like 3 or 4 times a day. Another week would be nice.
Lucy is acting bored without her beach birds and camp buddies.

Try to make Alvord Buggy Experience happen before seasons change to snowkiting.

Thanks to all that made SOBB another success!!

Rick

Windstruck - 9-15-2017 at 05:56 AM

As someone who lives vicariously through PKF much of the time (read: too busy to kite much myself lately) I was hoping for some details of SOBB to emerge on this thread.

Enquiring minds want to know! :D

eric67m - 9-15-2017 at 12:31 PM

Two things to know...

What happens at buggy camp stays at buggy camp.
And
Twenty bucks is twenty bucks.

Eric

eric67m - 9-15-2017 at 12:36 PM

I had a good time. We had mixed weather, sun, rain, fog, wind and no wind. No injuries that I know of. Lots of good stories and good food.

csa_deadon - 9-16-2017 at 04:22 AM

Twenty bucks is twenty bucks.

Eric

:lol:

Doesn't Rick still owe you like $60.00?

Windstruck - 6-7-2018 at 09:17 AM

Are dates set for sure yet for Fall SOBB 2018? I've got September 1-9 in my calendar but I've got the feeling those dates are tentative. I'm asking because this morning my wife just sent me the most beautiful text in the world:

"Just got invited to a 60th girls birthday party September 20-23 this year in Destin, FL. Can you check your calendar and see if I can go?"

My response: "Sounds fun! I put it in my calendar. I'm glad this can work. I'm looking at a buggy trip to OR in beginning of September too."

Whupp! :evil:

eric67m - 6-7-2018 at 10:38 AM

2018 fall SOBB will be 8/31/2018- 9/9/2018. I hope that you are able to attend.

Windstruck - 6-7-2018 at 11:46 AM

2018 fall SOBB will be 8/31/2018- 9/9/2018. I hope that you are able to attend.

Outstanding. Thanks Eric. I can't possibly be there that long. I know none of us have any control of the wind and rain possibilities, but are there group events scheduled on particular days or do the tides line up better during some portion of this long stretch of time? Things might go better for me on the home front if I was home on Labor Day itself for example so maybe the back end for me. I'm thinking maybe making the drive on the 4th and part of the 5th in time for afternoon winds on the 5th and then buggy riding Wednesday-Friday and driving back over the weekend. Feeling that great buzz in my belly!

eric67m - 6-7-2018 at 12:18 PM

People come and go thought the event. Some stay the entire time, some for a weekend. Tides can be looked up, with the wind, you never can tell. The food and partying takes a serious step up during the weekends. During spring SOBB we had some amazing food. From a smoked roast, steak tacos, fresh oysters and French toast. Its always different and it is always fun. I just got done putting away kites and I'm looking forward to fall... I hope to see you there (and anyone else who wants to come. )

Bladerunner - 6-7-2018 at 02:43 PM

How amazing that you may actually swing this trip Steve. I AM STOKED FOR YOU!

I usually try and extend our long weekend. The 1st in September. As a rule the Canadian crew mostly do. Both weekends are usually busy with it being a bit more quiet mid week.

Windstruck - 6-7-2018 at 02:48 PM

I hope to see you there (and anyone else who wants to come. )

Thanks. I'll really try and make it! I'm looking to swing two extended buggy trips a year. IBX has my heart in the Spring (and is a lot closer to home) and it would be ideal to make a Fall event too. I've heard and read nothing but GREAT things about SOBB (Spring or Fall) and this has been on my bucket list the last three years. Cool thing here is one is a playa and the other a beach. I've buggied a "beach" on the shores of the Great Salt Lake about an hour from my house and it was a blast (not to mention a lot easier on the leading edges of my SS kites) so splitting this up like this would be really fun, not to mention getting to know a different crew of people. Obviously there is some overlap.

Fingers, toes, and yes, eyes crossed I can make this work. :cool: