Power Kite Forum

The definition of a word

rtz - 6-15-2017 at 08:25 PM

This hasn't happened yet but just in case it does.

The lake I ride at has real inconsistent signage. A sign here or there saying no golfing, or pets must be on a leash, or don't feed the birds, etc. On the far side of the lake, if you know where to look and know where it is, a lone sign that says "no motor vehicles allowed on lake bottoms". That's exactly what it says. And that's the new sign in the same place as the old one. The old one said something like "no motor vehicles on lake bed".

So I thought what is a motor vehicle. The definition I found said and vehicle capable of operating on a highway.

That's a definition and maybe even a legal definition. That's all well and good. Except for when it comes to interpretation and opinion of a law enforcement official. Had a conversation just today. I said "it has no motor". He said "it's still a vehicle and a powered vehicle".

A ticket is no big deal. Not being able to ride there would be a big disappointment.

Do I have any legal recourse if in the future I'm told I can't ride there?

indigo_wolf - 6-16-2017 at 12:33 AM

Under the Edmonton, OK Code of Ordinances the definition is:

10.04.150 - Motor vehicle.
The term "motor vehicle" shall mean every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated on rails. (1954 Code 386(14)).

10.04.360 - Vehicle.
The term "vehicle" shall mean every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. (1954 Code 386).

What are you riding that they are giving you grief over?

ATB,
Sam

rtz - 6-16-2017 at 01:18 AM

Just the kite buggy. Some crazy old guy called the police. He said someone was riding a 4 wheeler and flying a kite.

indigo_wolf - 6-16-2017 at 02:04 AM

I think the kite buggy will fail the self propelled part of their definition of motor vehicle.

self-propelled (adjective)
moving or able to move without external propulsion or agency.
"a self-propelled weapon"

A kite buggy derives its propulsion from an external agency, the wind.

ATB,
Sam

WELDNGOD - 6-16-2017 at 01:05 PM

Here is the sign the state of Va. used against me. The legal definition of a vehicle in Va. is "any means of conveyance". You are a liability to public safety and will be banned as such. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. This same crap happened to me at the best kept secret around here. All over the northeastern beach tiger beetle.....:mad:

DSCF0851a.jpg - 48kB

Randy - 6-16-2017 at 01:50 PM

If bikes are prohibited then pretty much everything with a wheel would be too. I always try to keep a low profile where I ride. (Cold nasty weather helps keep unwanted eyes away.) Though the fairgrounds (my main spot) is next to a police station. Sometimes they sit around and watch me ride. I guess they don't mind. Nice to know I have police protection.

I've always had the thought of putting words on some of the kites I make to suit the locations I ride (or would like to ride):

Fairgrounds "Support your local police"
Church Parking Lots "John 3:16"
Race Track parking lot - maybe a checkered flag or NASCAR kite.