Power Kite Forum

How was your day at JIBE?

soliver - 5-2-2016 at 02:09 PM

Monday was AWESOME sauce for us!

We got to the beach around 10:00 and stayed till around 2:30 or 3:00. The wind was SSE around 10-13 mph. With the concrete-like hardpack, my 4m Nasa Star 3 was all I needed. The NS3's perform great going upwind with good steady wind over 10mph.

Wifey and the girls had a great time playing in the surf whilst I ran the beach between their set up and the other buggy camp.

I know a couple of y'all had some car trouble, but I think it was a great wind day in spite of that, so I hope y'all got some good riding in.

See you guys tomorrow.

Windstruck - 5-2-2016 at 02:50 PM

SWEET! :wee:

skimtwashington - 5-2-2016 at 05:14 PM


With the concrete-like hardpack

Is it that good a surface there? How wide of a 'concrete' strip to ride along?

Any pics or Viddy yet?

shehatesmyhobbies - 5-2-2016 at 05:30 PM

Jibe does have a nice hardback to ride, not near as wide as WW, but still a blast. You just wait for tide to go out and ride away!

Wishing I was there, hope you all have a wonderful event! Make sure some of those Aunt B cookies make it to WBB in the fall!

soliver - 5-2-2016 at 05:45 PM

Hey, I'm not sure how big the hardpack is to WW, but when the tide goes out I would venture a guess that it is about the length of a football field from the dunes to the water... last year we had an ultra low tide one day and it was awesome!

shehatesmyhobbies - 5-2-2016 at 06:33 PM

I should probably clarify, the hard pack is of decent size at JIBE, the beach itself at WW is much bigger. Our hard pack isn't as deep as JIBE, the biggest advantage at JIBE being, it's all hardback pretty much, at least the last time I was there. If I remember correctly, when tide is in it comes up to almost the dunes. It is an awesome place to rise for sure

soliver - 5-2-2016 at 07:25 PM

Yea, that is correct.... miles and miles of hardpack at low tide, practically nothing a t high tide.

Come on JIBE-ees... how was your day today?!?!?!?

3shot - 5-3-2016 at 06:06 AM

It was awesome. We managed to squeek in a few hours of riding. Was so cool seeing so many different style kites up in the air. I didnt get a chance to say hello to everyone yesterday, but everyone did have lots grins.

Demoknight - 5-3-2016 at 06:47 AM

I had a blast yesterday. Got to the beach with Philip around 10-10:30 and rode until some time between 3:00-4:00. The wind was pretty far side-on, but that allowed us to get a slow park and ride straight up the beach on the upwind side, and then totally rip downwind. I stopped because I was tired, not because the tide was coming in. Philip rode an extra hour past that. I am pooped today. I am still hoping this offshore stuff turns around today to ride some more.

pbc - 5-3-2016 at 07:50 AM

Yesterday was a very good day. I logged 6 hours with a couple breaks along the way. Early in the day I ran a bit under-powered as the biggest I had to fly was my 12m P2, but the wind eventually rose to match what I was flying.

Most folks were flying south from Kite Beach. That whole run is split at low tide this year. Near the dune there's the gently sloping hard pack that leads down to a strip of wavy hard pack. That part is very rumbly. In some places the rumbly stuff is dry, in others it never drains. Beyond the rumbly stuff, the earth rises quickly to a wide, hard bar. The bar is cut regularly by runouts. The run outs are often surrounded by small chuck-holes, though most of the chuck holes drain quickly.

You pretty much had choose the bar or the dune side. The rumble strip and the water on it made switching between them a soggy, boggy proposition. Once the tide was out all the way and the winds came up it got easier to cross from the bar to the dune side.
I found the bar was the more fun side to ride on. The run outs weren't too deep if you kept to the ocean side of the bar.

Things got soggy when the tide started coming back in. The once-shallow runouts flooded quickly. I soaked myself three times before I decided to stop crossing them. I can only hope Mark was filming on the run where he was tailing me.

I finished the day by putting the tandem on and giving folks some rides. By the time I quit I barely had room to do a turn on what little hardpack was left.


soliver - 5-3-2016 at 04:18 PM

Tuesday was pretty much a bust with cruddy off-shore winds that were gusty, lumpy and directionally shifty. Sucker winds for the most part. It was a no fly kinda day, especially compared to yesterday. I saw several arcs up (Philip and Mark) and I saw Errol's behemoth 19m Flysurfer, Jason's 7m NS2 and both the wonder twins (Frank and Chris) with some foils up, but everyone was struggling. I put up my 10m NS3 and had a few decent runs back and forth but it spent more time on the ground than in the air. There was a point that it picked up a bit where it felt like the 10m was feeling like it was going to lift me out of the buggy... just too much to handle and after getting out of the bug and sitting in the soft sand I had to pop the safety even after intentionally nosediving it into the sand.... the kite rolled around in the soft sand and picked up just about every piece of sea grass (sticks)in a 40 sq foot area tangled in its bridles. Thanks to Frank for helping me pull it out and thankfully it came untangled quickly. So after that the wind died completely so I packed it up.

Then I saw a somewhat hefty hippy woman with a 2 week old pet chicken who decided Jekyll was a topless beach... it was one of those interesting train wreck kind of situations :o

And so I went to play with the kids in the sand and surf.

All in all an interesting kind of day.

Windstruck - 5-3-2016 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  

Then I saw a somewhat hefty hippy woman with a 2 week old pet chicken who decided Jekyll was a topless beach... it was one of those interesting train wreck kind of situations :o

That was a visual we all could have done without! :lol: May your dreams not be haunted.

I know exactly what you mean about the 10m NS3 being too much kite sometimes. I've had my britches almost soiled with both it and the 12.5m a few times. That much FB lovin can be a handful flown off of two lines! You've had enough lifting adventures to last a lifetime so I'm glad you weren't lofted today with that beast.

Randy - 5-3-2016 at 06:41 PM

I decided Saturday to pack everything and go a day early. Got to the hotel by 9:30 pm Sunday hit the beach at 8:30 AM and rode my ATB for about 4 hours and did and hour or so of static flying. Came back around six for some more static flying. Monday very similar - over 4 hours riding. Used my 2.5 and 3.3 NPW's. Towards the end I got too tired for my NPW's so I tried my 2.25 M Maeko - underpowered and underpiloted, but I got the hang of it and made a go of it. Having little practice with that type of foil (or whatever it is) had a learning curve. Came back after dinner for some more static flying. Another awesome day.

Today - figured the offshore, fairly weak winds would be a bit of a mess so I decided to try my secret weapon - put a windsurf sail in my ATB and went for it. (I've done this for many year but not so much in the last few.) I figured my landsailing haunts at home were never as good as the beach and I did fine with them. I was rusty but after a while was pretty happy with how it was going. After about hour though the rain came and pretty much killed the wind. I tried until about 2 to make a go it, but sporadic wind, even with vigorous pumping the sail resulted in some runs here and there, a few nice jibes and one really tired guy. Glad I tried the landsailing since I had always thought it was the way to go with offshore winds. I'll probably bring it again next year. Headed back to Atlanta and made it home before 9. One great trip!! Video to follow.

It was nice to meet and talk to so many of you. Now when is Jibe 2017?

soliver - 5-4-2016 at 02:30 PM

Today was cruddy off shore wind again... Spent the day biking the island with the family. We finally went down to the beach around 2:30 or 3:00. Swam and played in the surf and sand then came home. The wind actually turned around and came on shore as we were leaving the beach at 4:30 (as the tide was coming in).

In spite of no seat time, it was a great fun family day!

Michael Gaylan - 5-4-2016 at 04:36 PM

Had a great time today. Not a lot of wind but off shore is better than no wind at all. Got some wind time with my 5m beamer. Looking forward to tomorrow too.

3shot - 5-4-2016 at 06:02 PM

I must say there has been some difficulty with the wind the last two days, but no shortage of good times to be had with all the friends down here. Dinners, after dinner socials, craft beer swapping, etc. Just good times.

soliver - 5-4-2016 at 06:53 PM

Great time at Ted and Holly's tonight!

soliver - 5-5-2016 at 01:44 PM

After a walk/bike ride around the neighborhood, we came to the beach and I tried to ride the poopy off shore winds this afternoon, but it kept inverting my kite and messing things up. ... Not to mention that it was blowing so hard it was pushing the dry sand off the dunes and sandblasting the kids, so we called it a day and headed to the house to close the day with cartoons and relaxation.

Angus said a bunch of guys went up to the north end ... How'd y'all fare?

Demoknight - 5-5-2016 at 03:47 PM

Philip, Scott, and myself took turns on Philip's buggy and Scott's little 2m Scout buzzing back and forth on the north beach by the pier. That is the first time I have gotten to the pier another way besides via kite buggy :) The wind was cold and nuking. It was a blast, but all of us are harness riders, so every few minutes we did a shift change to give our arms a rest. Scott's wife and son were out with us, and Jim joined us as well, followed by Anna. We made the best of a sketchy high wind day by blasting around with a little kite. Where we were, we had basically perfect onshore wind, 20-30mph, but not much space to run up and down the beach since we were up on the very northern tip.

soliver - 5-5-2016 at 03:54 PM


3shot - 5-5-2016 at 06:00 PM

Wind was nuking offshore. I did get my 2m Ozone Flow up several times, but it was definitely hairy.

soliver - 5-6-2016 at 06:37 AM

looks like it will finally be back onshore this afternoon ...

I got a text from Davis and he should be here... hopefully he has some t-shirts!

soliver - 5-6-2016 at 04:28 PM

One word "OUTSTANDING"...

The JIBE Kite Widows Luncheon was GREAT,... followed by about an hour and a half of waiting for the sea breeze to kick in, and when it was on, it was BEAUTIFUL. (almost perfectly on shore) I rode my 5.5m NS3 for more than an hour then the 7m for another,... The kids were occupied the whole time too, so it was absolutely splendid time of non-stop riding.

Heck of a way to close out for sure!

Michael Gaylan - 5-6-2016 at 04:49 PM

Winds were great! Had a blast even though not much "quality" wind for me till today.

Loved watching some of those deadman turns too.

But enjoyed the convos with everyone I ran into. Just a fabulous day!

3shot - 5-6-2016 at 05:48 PM

Yes. Another epic day at JIBE. Wind switched onshore right after lunch. So many kites in the air. It all came together today.
I took some time out of the buggy to capture what I hope is excellent footage of those that were on the beach today. Soencer was killing it with his NS3s. Markite was busy doing so many front and back deadman turns, I lost count lol. Truly a master of the craft. The arcs and boards were rolling too. Everyone had a great afternoon. May we be blessed by the wind gods tomorrow to close out our event.:thumbup:

Windstruck - 5-6-2016 at 06:28 PM

So glad you guys had a great day. Look forward to seeing that footage 3shot!

PHREERIDER - 5-8-2016 at 07:40 AM

JIBE '16 heres some wet looks. Wednesday found pbc (Philip) on north end when first scouted breeze. fun quick go in a tight spot on land board. PBC was rolling out last of his sessioned . just us 2 but fun was had ... thursday somewhat different.

snagged into a wildcat crew looking to ride on the water on the northend i advised the south end ...did so, wife comes out on a run and catches the warm up. solid 30knots W. we are backside on rising tide with west facing shoreline.

blasting caps!

marker at St. Andrews

cumberland island in background , loaded 9m day!

heres a clearer shot of cumberland island with me out of the way

PHREERIDER - 5-8-2016 at 07:56 AM

close inside jibe aerial transition, wife loved those depite having to land in 4" of water

friday was magic on shore ATB ride with rest of the crew , so glad turned on shore .

JIBE is good spot for fun stuff!

acampbell - 5-8-2016 at 09:08 AM

New meaning to the term "hanging Chad". Awesome pics.

Glad we closed out on a positive.

Setting up JIBE 2017 right now. It'll be the 10th year. Gotta make it good.

TEDWESLEY - 5-8-2016 at 01:16 PM

It's all good, even the "forced" down time!
Great to see Angus in the pilot's seat again!

We hope to see you all next year, with perhaps, a few less "excitements" along the journey.
The wind has come on shore 10mph. Time to see if the crowd has thinned out for a couple of evening runs.
Jekyll calls, it would be impolite to refuse.


3shot - 5-8-2016 at 06:41 PM

We made it home finally. Fought the vehicle all 13 hours.
Had a great time this week. Will reflect tomorrow.

Time to hit the sack.....

soliver - 5-8-2016 at 10:15 PM

After a long and trying day of aimlessness and futzing around, we finally ended up on Saint Simons Island with the in-laws

flyguy0101 - 5-9-2016 at 08:57 AM

JIBE 2016 was another great week on Jekyll Island- winds allowed for some really great boarding on Monday and again on Friday Afternoon. I even did a little bugging on Thursday up north with errol and phillip with the 2m scout- was able to get a little light in the seat a few times:D. Unlike other years with the wind a little off, I got to know everyone a little better and enjoyed the evening gathering and the weenie roast. Andrew and I were successful on our goal of kiting Friday afternoon on Jekyll island then driving almost 10 hours to paddle a mountain creek in Virginia on Saturday Afternoon (within 24hrs). Needless to say a day at work should give my body a chance to recoup. Looking forward to 2017 already- thanks to Angus for organizing and holly and spencer for organizing the gatherings

soliver - 5-9-2016 at 04:38 PM

Looks like I'm in for a few good sunset sessions here in SSI

ssayre - 5-9-2016 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 3shot  
We made it home finally. Fought the vehicle all 13 hours.
Had a great time this week. Will reflect tomorrow.

Time to hit the sack.....

What happened to the vehicle?

3shot - 5-9-2016 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
Quote: Originally posted by 3shot  
We made it home finally. Fought the vehicle all 13 hours.
Had a great time this week. Will reflect tomorrow.

Time to hit the sack.....

What happened to the vehicle?

About an hour before we arrived at Jekyll last Sunday, My catalytic converters stopped up. Lost all acceleration basically. It then burnt up the 02 sensors. Mark broke down on the interstate as well. We limped over to assist him. Then the fan control panel in the dash caught fire. It was quite the adventure the first few days! I replaced the 02 sensors but that was only a band aid to get us home. We pretty much limped all the way home.

ssayre - 5-10-2016 at 04:09 AM

Dang, that stinks. glad you were able to limp back. I've been there on a trip and it adds some unwanted excitement. How did mark fair?

markite - 5-10-2016 at 08:54 AM

- saturday afternoon on drive down brake line went in West Virginia (good thing not going down a mountain) - emergency repair and guys stayed late to fix for 95.00
- sunday afternoon felt like engine seizures or something rubbing and loosing power and pulled off highway and lucky it was Brunswick exit. rescued by Jason and family, car towed next day - turned out to be something with emergency brake and new brake shoes - with tow included 370.00 repair
- cursed by a friend who said careful driving home, things happen in threes - sunday about 3 hrs north stopped and then came back on highway and accelerated then noticed check engine light came on. Didn't feel any difference but drove slower the rest of the day making a longer day stopped in WV overnight. Sunday all the way back to Canada taking our time and home late monday eve light still on but don't notice anything and will have it checked tomorrow.
Glad everyone got home without major incidents

flyguy0101 - 5-10-2016 at 10:16 AM

Mark- hope the check engine light is nothing- as mentioned we started our trip on Saturday only to get about 2 hrs down the road before my truck started overheating again (thought it had been fixed) so we turned around changed vehicles and tried again to arrive on Sunday- learned this morning that my engine head had a crack and blown gasket (200k miles)- so I have ordered the new engine and will be back up and running in a couple of weeks:(:(:(

JIBE tandem

markite - 5-10-2016 at 10:23 AM

JIBE_16_tandem copy.jpg - 46kB

3shot - 5-10-2016 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by markite  

Now that is funny Mark!!!!!!!


ssayre - 5-10-2016 at 02:58 PM

My vehicles all have the check engine light on and work fine. I think I would be worried if they went out :D

abkayak - 5-10-2016 at 04:04 PM

I'm w/ ssayre...my wife & daughter dont even bring it up anymore

3shot - 5-10-2016 at 04:07 PM

Lolololol ^^

PHREERIDER - 5-10-2016 at 05:01 PM

man the vehicle issues! those are tough moments , way to bang through it all!