Power Kite Forum

Any big wheel landboards out there?

southpadreburt - 11-25-2015 at 11:44 AM

I'm a buggy pilot that wants to pick up a landboard that will ride on the beach and wind packed sand. I think I am looking for 10 - 12 inch tires that fit hubs that will go on a standard landboard. I have not found much using web searches. What do beach riders use?

wolphy - 11-25-2015 at 12:48 PM

I've seen (and tried) successful riding with 8" wheels on a well packed sand of Atlantic Beach, NY. I had much trouble trying to ride the same board on the softer sand last month at Plumb Beach.

jrhook - 11-25-2015 at 03:23 PM

I'm not an engineer but it seems the physical dynamics, i.e. drag vs. force necessary to move, coupled with the area displaced topside i.e. the rider, it just wouldn't be fun!

It does appear others have tried to create a hybrid that would extend the ride-able surface...

rsz_image_68.jpg - 63kB

bigkid - 11-25-2015 at 03:31 PM

Flexboardz and MBS both have done the 9 inch wheels.
It's hard enough to buggy in soft sand with bigfoots, on a board wouldn't be any fun to me.
Not sure about anyone else but I prefer to reduce the Rolling resistance as much as possible, so that I can worry about having fun than worry about face planting.

PHREERIDER - 11-25-2015 at 04:45 PM

the 9" definitely give more soft terrain range. in general land board riding is considerably more edging than rolling and this is the real issue. so in soft you have to keep the kite high, and a light touch "on top " of the board than ride edge heavy. flexboard (wide axle) has plenty of float over soft and is much better design for "on top" riding.
alot of powdery soft is very difficult in general and step in width and height is the solution, 10"x 4" is about as big as u can go and still have some type of control .

certainly doable . the lighter board touch and efficient high kite control are the piloting elements that bring it together

southpadreburt - 11-26-2015 at 09:53 PM

Looks like I'm going to go for the MBS Core 94 because of the 12 millimeter axles and new hubs that will take the nine inch wheels. They have also upgraded the bindings. The hubs should take 10 inch tires when I am ready. Thank you to those who have given me information and help me.

ssayre - 11-27-2015 at 08:13 AM

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=22765

have a look at this thread. plummet in NZ uses granny tires on homemade revo trucks. They say revo trucks can be found on kitecrowd occasionally. Plummet says he is the only one in the world that rides dunes that he's aware of. maybe you could be second.

ssayre - 11-27-2015 at 10:42 AM

https://vimeo.com/31279185

cheezycheese - 12-3-2015 at 11:06 AM

How 'bout something like this..?

cheezycheese - 12-3-2015 at 11:17 AM

Those wheels are 121/2". I don't know if there's any plus or minuses I haven't ridden it.

abkayak - 12-3-2015 at 11:37 AM

cheese...is that in your possession? need to try, those wheels must be scary as heck in motion

cheezycheese - 12-3-2015 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by abkayak  
cheese...is that in your possession? need to try, those wheels must be scary as heck in motion

Yeah, it's mine. Really foolish impulse purchase from a long time ago, when I had disposable income. Bought it knowing I would probably never ride it, just because it looked cool. I will say that I rode a few hills with it and like the lower cog. But I cannot compare it to anything as I've never ridden a board before. I am tempted to give boarding a shot now that I pulled it out.

indigo_wolf - 12-3-2015 at 12:24 PM

Looks like an ancestor of the KiteDeck Quadrolution.....

http://www.kite-deck.com/board-quadrolution.html

Narrow tires even 12 1/2" would still sink in soft sand.

ATB,
Sam

jrhook - 12-3-2015 at 12:50 PM

Jeez Cheese, bring that bad boy out, it looks like it would handle high grass better than the 8" wheels on my Colt... I've got a feeling Santa is throwing a new board down my chimney:)

cheezycheese - 12-3-2015 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by indigo_wolf  
Looks like an ancestor of the KiteDeck Quadrolution.....

http://www.kite-deck.com/board-quadrolution.html
ATB,
Sam

Sam, you never cease to amaze me. So while the decks are very similar, this deck was actually handmade by forum user Secondwind/Davinch out of Guam. It cuts about 10 lbs off the weight of the quadrolution.

Windstruck - 12-3-2015 at 04:14 PM

Pretty wild design. Does anybody have any thoughts on how it would turn with the board being UNDER the trucks as compared to above them? This design would certainly lower the COG.

Kamikuza - 12-4-2015 at 03:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jrhook  
I'm not an engineer but it seems the physical dynamics, i.e. drag vs. force necessary to move, coupled with the area displaced topside i.e. the rider, it just wouldn't be fun!

It does appear others have tried to create a hybrid that would extend the ride-able surface...

That one in the middle with grey wheels is built in Japan, IIRC but costs a bomb -- $1200. The tyres themselves are only $80 each. But that's the best for soft sand; seen it used here too and it just glides every where.

indigo_wolf - 12-4-2015 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Kamikuza  
Quote: Originally posted by jrhook  

That one in the middle with grey wheels is built in Japan, IIRC but costs a bomb -- $1200. The tyres themselves are only $80 each. But that's the best for soft sand; seen it used here too and it just glides every where.

The tires/tyres are Wheeleez

http://www.wheeleez.com/index.php

Can drop the price a bit by buying them in units of two.

Could probably DIY yourself for considerably cheaper than 1200. Biggest hurdles would be axle width/tire bite and stepping down the bearing size.

Other options are "granny/mobility tires" like Plummet or DuroTraps.

Even more wide wheel madness here:
http://www.mackite.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1615

ATB,
Sam

New 10 inch tires for the beach

southpadreburt - 12-4-2015 at 02:50 PM

Removed the 8 inch T3 wheels that came on my Core 94 and replaced them with 10 inch wheels. Tires are from Harbor Freight (410x350) with new tubes.
Cost of new tires and tubes was about $40 total. Have not had a chance to try it on the beach yet. There is an 8 inch tire in the picture to compare size.

10inch.jpg - 90kB

PHREERIDER - 12-4-2015 at 03:21 PM

nice, man . defiitely would work that ! toe scrub is the lonely issue i have with big on short short board. that'll be fun

ssayre - 12-4-2015 at 04:04 PM

Looks like a big improvement. I can't believe I didn't think of trying that when I had a landboard. Nice job.

volock - 12-4-2015 at 11:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by southpadreburt  
Removed the 8 inch T3 wheels that came on my Core 94 and replaced them with 10 inch wheels. Tires are from Harbor Freight (410x350) with new tubes.
Cost of new tires and tubes was about $40 total. Have not had a chance to try it on the beach yet. There is an 8 inch tire in the picture to compare size.

You end up changing out the bearings I assume, or is the Core not a 12mm axle like my Comp is?

southpadreburt - 12-5-2015 at 02:32 PM

Core 94 is a 12mm axle. Used the new hubs that came on the board for the bigger tires. Just changed tubes and tires. The new 10 inch tires are probably not very good for high speed as they may be a little out of balance but should be good for this old man on the sand. I am a kiteboarder/buggy pilot just getting into ATB riding.

fast_monte - 12-5-2015 at 05:59 PM

After looking a the Cheeses tall and skinny wheeled board, I think I can use the taller and skinnier wheels on my MBS Comp 95 board to help it roll through the grass much faster. I found them here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXD9Y/ref=ox_sc_act_ti... They would cost $66 after shipping. They have 1/2" ID bearings in them and I have 12mm axles on the Matrix trucks. The axles would be a little undersized and have 0.028" of slop, but I think that would be OK.

fast_monte - 12-5-2015 at 06:07 PM

As for wide tire solutions, someone mentioned go-kart tires. If you have a local indoor track they may give you used sets for free. I don't know if they would fit on standard mountain board rims.

volock - 12-5-2015 at 06:25 PM

Core 94 is a 12mm axle. Used the new hubs that came on the board for the bigger tires. Just changed tubes and tires. The new 10 inch tires are probably not very good for high speed as they may be a little out of balance but should be good for this old man on the sand. I am a kiteboarder/buggy pilot just getting into ATB riding.

Ah. I was thinking you'd removed the wheels and used the Harbor Freight tires with the cheap hubs they often come with, and not just swapped the tires onto the old wheels.

Replace Bearings?

southpadreburt - 12-5-2015 at 07:13 PM

fast_monte, you probably can punch out the bearings in the wheel and replace with a 12mm bearing.

abkayak - 12-6-2015 at 09:27 AM

Very happy to have just scored 4 of those 10" tires from harbor freight for free in Pops garage it pays to help out around the parents house...Dad is an impulse buyer..he goes to that store and just buys things because its cheap w/out ever having a use for it...someday I will inherit a full tool chest worth like 75$

fast_monte - 12-8-2015 at 12:18 PM

I bought one of the 10" Harbor Freight tires, they are on sale for $5.99. I compared them to the 9" tires that came on my MBS Comp 95X and have decided there was not enough of a difference to go through all the hassle to change them out. I live less than a mile away from the store, so I will be returning the wheel. If I had the 8" wheels I would upgrade.

abkayak - 12-8-2015 at 12:32 PM

did you have to come up w/ a 10" tube and a 90d offset on the valves???

southpadreburt - 12-8-2015 at 12:51 PM

Yes, I did buy 10 inch tubes at Harbor Freight with 90 degree stems. The tubes at Harbor Freight are very cheap but they are not overly dependable in quality. 1 tube out of four had a leak before even being installed. If you buy Harbor Freight inner tubes I would recommend buying an extra.

abkayak - 12-8-2015 at 01:07 PM

Yes, I did buy 10 inch tubes at Harbor Freight with 90 degree stems. The tubes at Harbor Freight are very cheap but they are not overly dependable in quality. 1 tube out of four had a leak before even being installed. If you buy Harbor Freight inner tubes I would recommend buying an extra.

thank you...i think i will get several xtra im sure their cheaper than the gas to drive there....and maybe a log spliter too cause you never know???