Power Kite Forum

Coyote Rollerblades With 8" (200mm) wheels Mod

jcardin - 6-10-2015 at 04:35 AM

Here is my pair of Coyotes modded to allow for 200mm Micro Flex Air (scooter) wheels.

I don't kite skate, but I like going down grass hills and skating both on and off road.

The bigger wheels seem to help with higher grass and more uneven terrain. Also, I think they are faster with just 2 tire wheels instead of the 3, as there is less friction etc.

See attachment (will try to imbed image next..)

Big3.JPG - 230kB

BeamerBob - 6-10-2015 at 05:48 AM

For some reason, inline racing skates use 5 wheels instead of the more common four. I figured the thought was less pressure on each wheel made for less resistance. I always thought it seemed odd though. You have a seat of the pants observation?

Windstruck - 6-10-2015 at 07:49 AM

I used to do some inline skate racing about 20+ years ago. At the time I had both the standard plastic-molded four-wheeled "Roller Blades" as well as low slung leather lace up five-wheeled racing skates. A racer puts a great deal of lateral force through the wheels when really cranking, and I think more surface area touching the ground for each power stroke ends up meaning you don't get any appreciable give to the side on varying surfaces. The durameter of true racing wheels is very high (up in the 90's if I remember correctly). Both the wheels and the bearings are of high quality (read: expensive) on a true racing skate and the rolling resistance is much less than with standard Roller Blades. High durometer wheels and thin leather minimalist designed racing boots also means you think your fillings are going to come out of your teeth each time you go over a seam in the road or hit a pebble. :D

Bladerunner - 6-10-2015 at 03:32 PM

You may want to mention a boot size and price. ( OOPS assumed you were selling :duh: )

If you have the original wheels I suspect there would be interest in them by someone as a separate purchase.

Interesting mod'. I can imagine this set up allowing a higher top speed.

For some reason I can cruise comfortably, feeling very safe at 35mph but everything gets shaky after that and I can't seem to break 40? When I say everything I think I mean me as much as the wheels themselves. :embarrased:

When Bob Childs hit 50mph he was on his " Doom wheels " and he thinks the large wheels were key.

indigo_wolf - 7-10-2015 at 05:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bladerunner  
You may want to mention a boot size and price.

Didn't think this was a sale.... just a show & tell / mod share post. Least that is how I took it.

ATB,
Sam

PHREERIDER - 7-10-2015 at 07:54 AM

nice mod, i have run mine like that with just 2, after one tire pops. then after one of the 2 remaining pops you are rimming it.

if those are DOT tires you might have something there. i have found the 8'"ATB wheel setup for doom set up have best feel and no issues with jumping or tires constantly popping.

for the inline speed world, most pros use 110-125mm X 3 . the five wheels 90-92mm x5 for under <14" frame was dropped for lighter and higher platform prolly a decade ago. the speed skate frame length still very much the same but platform has definitely been jacked.

frame length is more related to leg length/height, or some downhill applications.

wheel contact patch in total still about the same across the choices.

i run 92a x5 on Mogema frames which is my favorite for boxed extruded, but i also have eaglehawk 6061 x5 at 13.75" MILLED! definitely weapon grade mostly for my #200.

125mm x 3 my not be allowed for tour races ...yet.

Windstruck - 7-10-2015 at 09:36 AM

Phreerider - great to hear about the forward movement of the inline racing scene. I got out of that over 20 years ago and hadn't kept up with the technology at all. Did street racing skates go with the detachable heel similar to ice-based speed skates? I suspect they did. When I was into it the heel was still bolted to the back of the frame, but the clack system always made intuitive sense to me.

Demoknight - 2-3-2016 at 10:54 PM

Windstruck, you are talking about the clapper frames. They aren't too popular because of the extra weight on them, because the frame has to be bulkier and have a smooth hinge and large spring. Some have made hybrid clappers that only swivel the front two or three wheels depending on wheel diameter, but generally those have gone the way of the dodo with the 5 wheel setups. Myself I used to run 5x90mm Hyper Hyoctane wheels on my Suregrip Accelerator frames. Now I skate semi-regularly on 4x110mm wheels on a Bont 3 point frame with custom carbon fiber Semirace boot. I don't think they would be great for kiting unless doing some real light weight NPW stuff though. The boots are primo comfy but would break an ankle on the low tops if you put big wheels on them and went offroad. Best a hightop soft boot for that.

PHREERIDER - 3-3-2016 at 06:42 AM

completely forgot about the "clappers"...for sure the heavy mechanics killed them over ultra light setups. ice and inline as well now that i'm thinking about it. oh progress! nice throw-back thursday!

Windstruck - 3-3-2016 at 06:44 AM

So there is a pair of Coyotes for sale cheap on eBay. Does anybody know if I could use the frame/wheelset with modern skate boots? I'm thinking NO without serious modifications. It appears from the pictures I've seen of Coyotes that the frames sort of come up into the boots, particularly in the back.

PHREERIDER - 3-3-2016 at 07:40 AM

you can. the newer boot/ frames have rivets some are all one .

look for vert skate boots , super beefy and thick, plenty of tool room....so she thought , o how her mind was changed

Windstruck - 3-3-2016 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PHREERIDER  
you can. the newer boot/ frames have rivets some are all one .

look for vert skate boots , super beefy and thick, plenty of tool room....so she thought , o how her mind was changed

I was hoping you would weigh in on this PHREERIDER. Thanks. These are my skate boots:

Seba Skate Boots

These are the frames I currently have bolted to those boots:

Powerslide SUV Frames

The centered distance for bolting them to the frames is 165mm. The bottom of the boots have a series of tapped holes in a sort of hexagonal pattern with the center holes being 165mm apart front to back. I tried unsuccessfully to find a picture of the bottoms on the net. I didn't want to go to the trouble of taking the frames off just for a picture as I suspect you know exactly how these holes look.

As things stand now I have some short thick bolts that come up through the frames and go into the 165mm spread center holes. These bolts have hex heads so I just tighten them down with an Allen Wrench.

Compatible?

PHREERIDER - 3-3-2016 at 09:43 AM

ok sure the compatibility of sebs to coyote 165mm is an industry standard for most unless the complete custom super small. coyotes may be the same, i can look and give reasonable measure. what you got seem solid! i will check mine which are 12/13. let u know couple days ...gotta session!

Windstruck - 3-3-2016 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PHREERIDER  
ok sure the compatibility of sebs to coyote 165mm is an industry standard for most unless the complete custom super small. coyotes may be the same, i can look and give reasonable measure. what you got seem solid! i will check mine which are 12/13. let u know couple days ...gotta session!

No rush buddy! The coyotes on eBay now have a bidding war! I was hoping to pick them up on the cheap and ask the guy to only ship me the frames and wheels. These are size 9 / EU41 which are way to small for my flippers.

My 125m diameter wheels worked fine on the artificial turf and I know they'll be fine on the playa. I'm just worried that they will be too small for the natural grass fields I want to kite on in the non Winter months, that's why I'm looking at 150-200m wheel options.

Demoknight - 3-3-2016 at 01:05 PM

I saw those things, didn't look like a bidding war. He had his reserve set a LOT higher than the starting bid price. I don't know why people do that. Why not start the bid at your reserve, that way a single bid sells your item?

BeamerBob - 3-3-2016 at 01:19 PM

Low starting price gets people involved and then they decide they want them and casually raise their max price.

Demoknight - 3-3-2016 at 01:24 PM

I understand the manipulation, but I was mainly just complaining how dishonest it feels. There may as well be no starting bid if you have a reserve on your item.

BeamerBob - 3-3-2016 at 01:52 PM

I think you have to have a starting bid on eBay. I haven't sold anything there in years though.