Power Kite Forum

Peter Lynn Monohull Kite Boat

banfield - 6-8-2015 at 07:06 AM

I've had a Peter Lynn Monohull Kiteboat since about 2002. I haven't used it in more than 10 years. It is time for it to go to someone that would enjoy it more than me.
As you guys probably know, these are super-rare. I understand maybe 20-30 total in the US and <100 ever made. This one is in perfect condition, with a few tiny scratches in the hull and Ohio ID numbers on it from the guy I bought it from. All performance aspects of the boat are in perfect condition. No damage at all to the stainless rudders or the steering gear. The hull is in perfect condition.

I can't deliver it, but it is pretty easily car-toppable. Located in Ithaca, NY (actually 14882)

I'm asking $1200

IMG_2039.jpg - 109kB IMG_2040.jpg - 103kB IMG_2041.jpg - 111kB IMG_2042.jpg - 117kB IMG_2043.jpg - 118kB

PHREERIDER - 6-8-2015 at 07:54 AM

wow for a lake or flat, that would be awesome AND easy!

3shot - 6-8-2015 at 08:35 AM

:o:o:o

1oldkid - 6-8-2015 at 11:04 AM

Now that's interesting.....

Randy - 6-8-2015 at 01:21 PM

Some basic data would be interesting and helpful for evaluating it. What is it made of (looks like fiberglass over foam, but could be rotomolded plastic or the like)? Length, width, weight.

Also, do the rudder controls move all 4 fins or just 2?

RedSky - 6-8-2015 at 01:44 PM

indigo_wolf - 6-8-2015 at 01:52 PM

From the last monohull that was up for sale.....

9 feet, ~50 lbs. All fins get steered.

Thought it was rotomolded but don't remember for sure.

ATB,
Sam

markite - 6-8-2015 at 06:48 PM

Aaron had posted his up for sale on arc users around 2010 as it was just sitting stored and he was using the kite cat instead. At that time he said it was easier to tip over in waves and he was asking 350.00 for it to be picked up in Minnesota.

Another interesting read is an old Peter Lynn newsletter that recaps his development of kite sailing craft and the various explorations and he mentions the monohull in one paragraph
http://www.peterlynnkites.com/news/0610news.htm

The rudders work in the same way as the kite cat that the two front turn counter to the two rear

RedSky - 6-8-2015 at 06:53 PM

I was speechless in my first post to this thread. This looks in great condition. I have a kitecat and I'd still buy this. I can think of one or two guys on here that would love this.

Windstruck - 6-9-2015 at 07:26 AM

Extremely cool mechanism to articulate the front and rear fins in opposition to each other. I continue to delight in the mechanics in our sport and the solutions people come up with to overcome basic obstacles. :thumbup:

I'm curious what one does with the central black disk. It would appear to my (untrained) eye that underneath the black disk is an opening to the slit one can see on the bottom of the hull. Purpose?

Not that this is a shortcoming, but design seems to completely dictate the distance between the foot bars and the tush depression. Range of good pilot heights anyone?

Again, just curious; I'm personally not in the market for a beauty such as this.

Good luck banfield in your quest to find a good home for this deserving craft. Rarities such as this should be getting loving, regular use! BTW, beautiful part of the NE you live in. I hope you enjoy it up there.

bobalooie57 - 6-9-2015 at 01:49 PM

Not positive, but it looks like the slot in the bottom is a continuation of the slot in the seat, to drain water that might splash up there. The black disk probably covers a storage hatch, like on a kayak. I would guess with the foot bars configured the way they are would be for your shorter riders, loosen the hardware and flip it around for taller riders. Just guesses all, just because I'm sitting here trying to figure out how long I'd have to save up for that beauty. I think the water would have ice on it by then!

markite - 6-9-2015 at 02:05 PM

it's a dual can / cup holder with a slot to vent and circulate cool water around the base of your bottle of water and/or beer can.

2012-07-07 21.22.53.jpg - 59kB

bobalooie57 - 6-9-2015 at 02:16 PM

Now that's thoughtful design! :thumbup:

Randy - 6-9-2015 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by markite  
Aaron had posted his up for sAle on arc users aroun 2010 as it was just sitting stored and he was using the kite cat instead. At that time he said it was easier to tip over in waves and he was asking 350.00 for it to be picked up in Minnesota.

Another interesting read is an old Peter Lynn newsletter that recaps his development of kite sailing craft and the various explorations and he mentions the monohull in one paragraph
http://www.peterlynnkites.com/news/0610news.htm

The rudders work in the same way as the kite cat that the two front turn counter to the two rear

Most interesting comment he made was that he spent too much time working on boats and not enough on kites.

rudeboysaude - 6-20-2015 at 10:50 PM

I still have my monohull and Kitecat. Markite is right, I'd still let it go for 350. With the Kitecat, I don't need it. It'll get you out on water without board skills, but not big water.

Windstruck - 8-24-2020 at 05:17 PM

Are any of these still available? I'm interested if somebody wants to sell a monohull!

Randy - 8-24-2020 at 05:32 PM

PM Sent