Power Kite Forum

Garry point Park Power Kiter's - Update

RonH - 4-29-2015 at 08:37 AM

:)So...

We have a bit of time to work with the city to come up with rules / regulations for us to keep the park open.

We need to collectively agree on what to bring to the city - with backup concessions if needed.

We do not need our contact at the city to have 10 new best friends all with their ideas of what should happen. If that happens and there are contradicting opinions, we all look like a bunch of idiots that should be banned:mad::mad:

I think we should have 2 or 3 people to speak for the group.

I also think dirtslide needs to be there as one of our longtime kiters and a Richmond resident. If Cal was still buggying, I would want him at the table.

I am willing to do this but if you want someone else, speak up.

Ron
KC45

Bladerunner - 4-29-2015 at 04:18 PM

I have always hoped that You and Ken 1 would work with the city. You both have a good track record with them and are residents.

I completely agree that we need to keep our contacts with them to just a couple of representatives. I am willing to assist in any way I can but hope that you and Ken keep the ball rolling. You both have my support!

buggeyed - 4-29-2015 at 08:53 PM

Ron and Ken 1 you both would do a great job representing us with the city. You both have my support.
If we are doing this as a chapter of NAPKA I hope everyone not registered, is signing up and paying their dues.

sunset-Jim - 4-29-2015 at 10:01 PM

Ya got the club behind ya
:D

RonH - 5-7-2015 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sunset-Jim  
Ya got the club behind ya
:D

That's the best part of all this... :thumbup::thumbup:

RonH - 5-12-2015 at 05:50 PM

Update for those who are interested...

I am waiting for the city to consider NAPKA's insurance for us to use. That means we would have to be members in good standing and display our numbers / carry our cards.

If we get the go ahead, we need to have a code of conduct specific to Garry Point with everyone on board. I have had emails with ideas from a few people. Some items are really just common sense but it is something we need to agree on and then abide by the rules.

I'm off to SOBB soon and will chat with those who are there. Hopefully the city gets back to me soon and we can get this done before the July 31 deadline.

Ron

RonH - 6-9-2015 at 08:57 PM

Hey guys,

It looks like the city will not consider anything less than 5M liability insurance.

It is very cost prohibitive to get.

Now is the time to go out a talk to Dave Semple, our Mayor and Council to try to talk them out of regulating our hobby / sport.

If they regulate it, we need insurance. We can't afford it with only 10 - 20 people.

The other option is to get an individual permit from the city... it you can.

Ron

RonH - 6-9-2015 at 09:12 PM

My hope was that the city would recognize the fact we can be an organized club through NAPKA and adhere to some regulations, provide some insurance and a way to have official contact with the power kiters using the park.

I still believe NAPKA is the way to go but we need to grow to be recognized by the insurance underwriters to offer reasonable insurance coverage.

My bottom line is that if NAPKA isn't the solution, someone else needs to grab the reins.

Guess we need to visit our brothers to the south where we are welcome to play on the beaches - without the need to be insured for liability to the max.

See you on the beach,
Ron

Bladerunner - 6-10-2015 at 03:32 AM

Well, this is disappointing news to come home to. :(

Thanks Ron for trying to work this out. I will not be giving up the sport but .... :ticking:

ColinW - 6-10-2015 at 07:39 PM

Sorry to hear this news.
Add my name to the list of supporters if it will help.
I was hoping to get over there and watch you guys in action, and eventually participate.
colin
please u2u for contact info if required.

jy1zoom - 6-12-2015 at 12:53 AM

Bladerunner - 6-18-2015 at 05:16 PM

We will meet at the park this Saturday June 20 at 1:00

We will need to come out of this meeting with some firm numbers. Please inform anybody you think may be wanting to use the park for traction kiting to show up.

jy1zoom - 6-19-2015 at 05:55 AM

You have Trevor and I's commitment. For numbers. Unfortunately will be working this weekend, and Trevor is invited to a Bday party. Will let the other powerkiters Ive met at the park on occasion know about the meeting. Thanks Ron, Rich, Ben and everyone involved for all your hard efforts to keep us flying.

fletcht - 7-13-2015 at 01:21 PM

Wondering, what would be the cost for NAPKA to have a 5 million dollar policy? Our dues have decreased, because of membership. Could we increase Coverage for the same costs? It gives our organization that much more clout as well.
Just a thought, which I'm sure has already been discussed somewhere.

shehatesmyhobbies - 7-13-2015 at 07:27 PM

We looked into that in depth. With our current insurance company. The cost goes up $1500 or so per million after what we have currently, the way BC parks would like it set up, therefore costing NAPKA roughly an additional $4000 to get us to the $5 million mark.

There was an option that would have cost us an additional $600 or so, but that would not have been sufficient for the Parks dept.

It's the way the are requesting the coverage as per occurrence rather than aggregate. Jams us up significantly

hiaguy - 7-13-2015 at 07:33 PM

Just a thought...
As I recall, the insurance requires that an event (could be a training day) be "registered" in advance - that it is not an "always there" blanket policy.
Rich?

shehatesmyhobbies - 7-14-2015 at 04:57 AM

There is a way to "blanket" policy the event. Washington state parks used to be treated in the same manner. The biggest obstacle is the cost. We could have worked out the other issues.