Power Kite Forum

Dangerous Winds?

robinsonpr - 11-13-2014 at 07:04 AM

I just got back from an attempted session on my board with the Peak. The wind was totally horrible, all over the place. At one point it literally just flipped my kite inside out mid-flight. I went about 10 metres on my board feeling very uncomfortable and decided to quit while I was still in one piece.

My wind meter was showing 6mph one minute and then 18mph gusts the next.

So my question to you guys is are there winds like this that you just don't fly in?

Can you generally tell before you put the kite up?

Also is a low, stormy looking dark cloud base an indication that the wind is going to be bad?

Sorry, that's 3 questions :)

vaultingbassist - 11-13-2014 at 07:20 AM

Unfortunately this was pretty much the same wind I was out in yesterday. At no point did I feel in danger so I went at it for an hour or so, but I sized for the gusts (the 10m stayed in the trunk).

I'm honestly not really sure if it was worth it. I got a couple of good down wind runs (landboard), but it was impossible to get any kind of rhythm going, and I'm still learning so not being entirely sure of what to do compounded the problems. I guess I was starved for wind so I was going out anyways lol

ssayre - 11-13-2014 at 07:22 AM

sometimes

sometimes

sometimes

Hope that helps. :)

robinsonpr - 11-13-2014 at 07:42 AM

Hahahahaahah thanks ssayre :)

erratic winds - 11-13-2014 at 07:46 AM

if it's gusting to triple the windspeed, I stay in...... I stay in on a lot of windy days... :(

ssayre - 11-13-2014 at 07:51 AM

On really crazy days I like my fixed bridle foils unhooked. Not because they perform exceptionally well in those conditions, but because you have the freedom of letting go instantly when needed.

robinsonpr - 11-13-2014 at 08:40 AM

Yeah I would have had a go on my Twister but by the time I'd been bashed about that was my lunch break done!

carltb - 11-13-2014 at 10:10 AM

it could also be your flying site. i wouldn't even consider flying in a place where the wind was doing that, but I am pretty blessed with where I live.!

robinsonpr - 11-13-2014 at 10:37 AM

Yeah my site isn't ideal. It's a pretty big field but trees line both sides and there are houses and other buildings around.

rtz - 11-13-2014 at 02:40 PM

The best kite I have found for terrible wind is the Sting. Somehow it manages to stay inflated and pumped up in really bad lulls. For example; when the wind is full speed, then instantly shuts off. So if you want to ride and not sit out when the wind is bad; pick up one of these kites. For me; it's the difference between riding and not riding.

The 1.7m for 30mph gusting into the 40's. If the wind slacks into the 20's; I struggle to get up wind with the buggy.

The 2.4m for 20mph range gusting upwards of 30.

The 3.3m for those sub par days; ~15mph gusting into the 20 range. Our wind is terrible quality on days like that. The lighter is gets; the worse it gets because of the gust and lulls and the duration of each.

If they made one size bigger; I'd have it too.

WELDNGOD - 11-13-2014 at 03:12 PM

1) I LOVE HIGH WIND. 2) yes 3)Maybe ,or it could mean I need to get into "high wind mode". Most of my good wind is ahead of nor'easters and offshore tropical systems.

rtz, try a 1.5 PKD Buster soulfly sometime in 30 to 40. :ninja:

(if you had the whole buster soulfly quiver ,you would have that 4.4m as well :D)