Power Kite Forum

Who's anxious for winter

shaggs2riches - 3-9-2014 at 06:10 PM

I walked out the door for work this morning; only to realize that, it is getting darker in the mornings. I could also see my breath, and there was a thick dew on the work truck windows. On my way to work, I had to turn the heater on just a bit, in order to keep the chill off. I noticed that the farmers are, very quickly taking the crops off the fields. It also dawned upon me, that I haven't had a real session, since March. Next week there is a forecast night time temperature of 0°c. I know that its still early for most, but for me, all these signs are reminding me that winter is fast approaching. Snow will be here, before we know it. While it may seem crazy to most, I am getting more and more anxious for snow kite season.:D

............I just hope to hell that my harness, still fits.:lol:

canuck - 3-9-2014 at 08:25 PM

I am with you Shaggs. It is getting close. There has been snow on the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper and today lots of pictures of snow in the foothills south of Calgary. We are supposed to get our first frost tonight.

Now that school is back in the soccer season should be coming to an end but I guess I will still have to share sports fields with the Ultimate teams.

Hope you get out!

indigo_wolf - 3-9-2014 at 08:45 PM

Winter is not officially allowed to arrive until I finish making adjustments to the feral feline accomodations.

It's in the contract.

ATB,
Sam

Cheddarhead - 3-9-2014 at 10:02 PM

I've been anxious for winter since April when I put my skis away from the previous winter:D Winter IS the best time for kiting around here. There just isn't much space available in WI unless you like kiting with the trees or are good friends with farmers that have lots of open land. It's hard to talk about winter this time of year. The simple mention of ice or snow makes most of my friends want to kill me. I know there are at least a few of you that understand:thumbup:

43patrick - 4-9-2014 at 05:39 AM

I just checked this section of the board yesterday morning to see if snow kiting was on the radar yet and no posts... I guess my timing is about right. Let the snow fly (but I also don't say that too loud around here).

snowspider - 4-9-2014 at 12:02 PM

I sat down at my desk at work on Monday spotted the date on something and "WHAT , ITS SEPTEMBER FIRST , OMG" my co-worker turns around and sais "Whats wrong" . In a totaly freaked out manner I say "Its Sept. , I have to get ready for winter , my whole brain shifts gears , I'm not ready for it." I go on only slightly more calm to explain about kites and skis and sleds and a few other odds and end that were running round my brain.
So yeah ANXIOUS is the word!

Winter

slopecat - 4-9-2014 at 12:56 PM

Much of this year has sucked for me for a couple of reasons. Mainly problems with the home that started in April and still seem to be only half complete. All of the summer things I like to do I haven't had time for.

My goal of getting dialed in on water kiting hit a brick wall here at home after a very successful spring getaway to South Padre Island, TX. No success here back at home after two or three feeble attempts. Any real kiting for me is going to be after the lakes freeze. I won't complain when the time comes. I should be pretty excited.

Plus, I have a new (used) foil waiting for me to pick up at the post office. I will be looking forward to putting the skis on and taking it out.

canuck - 7-9-2014 at 08:00 PM

So much for Fall :D It was 24C (74F) here today, snow tomorrow afternoon into Tuesday. Gotta love Alberta weather LOL

3:31 PM MDT Sunday 07 September 2014Special weather statement in effect for: City of Calgary

First snowfall of the season possible on Monday. An unseasonably cold Arctic airmass will combine with an area of rain over Central Alberta and turn to snow over portions of Southwestern Alberta. Current guidance suggests over 5 centimetres of snow is possible for these regions.The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

BeamerBob - 7-9-2014 at 11:31 PM

I will be thrilled when summer fades just a little bit for me!

Windy Heap - 8-9-2014 at 11:16 AM

so total noobie snow skier ponderer, yeah I could google it but I'll pick the brain trust instead.

Can you just use standard new technology Shaped downhill snow ski's? I've got a pair of downhill style and ski boots...

I've got the kite engines,

I've got the farmers fields nearby,

and I am bi-curious.................sand dune flier, can I go to the white side?

Cheddarhead - 8-9-2014 at 06:28 PM

This Friday high of 56F and a low of 38F. Frost advisories out for northern counties. Getting closer....

shaggs2riches - 8-9-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Windy Heap  
so total noobie snow skier ponderer, yeah I could google it but I'll pick the brain trust instead.

Can you just use standard new technology Shaped downhill snow ski's? I've got a pair of downhill style and ski boots...

I've got the kite engines,

I've got the farmers fields nearby,

and I am bi-curious.................sand dune flier, can I go to the white side?

I'm no ski expert, but should be no problem. There are however, a few experts on skis on here, that can tell you all you need to know, and more. I'd say yes definitely.

shaggs2riches - 8-9-2014 at 07:33 PM

BTW, it was a balmy +2c this morning, and rainy. That felt really good. Hoping for a couple more nice weekends to get stuff finished, then let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

madday92 - 9-9-2014 at 06:47 AM

I'm jealous. Our leaves are still all green and days are still reaching into the upper 70's. :(

kitesleder - 10-9-2014 at 05:05 AM

I'm counting on an active season here in the Okanagan........Really looking forward to it

canuck - 10-9-2014 at 09:58 PM

Windy Heap -you can use any ski. Standard new technology Shaped downhill skis just turn more when you power up. However, if you care about your base, use an old pair of skis to ride in fields so that when a rock or other buried object tears a hole in your base you don't feel too bad.

It has snowed the past 2 nights in Calgary so I was able to get my first session of the season in today. :thumbup::thumbup: At least a foot of wet slush at my first stop and my snowblades were not right ski - underpowered but avoided several face plants and hamstring tears. Went to a field at lower altitude with about 4 inches of slush and had a good ride. :D

Snowkite Sept 10 2014 002.jpg - 28kB

Snowkite Sept 10 2014 003.jpg - 40kB Snowkite Sept 10 2014 001.jpg - 35kB

Windy Heap - 11-9-2014 at 09:04 AM

Go Calgary Stampede,

My mom has curling trophies..........shuffle board on ice, with a drink in one hand, and hucking the rock with the other.......then broom broom broom.

thanks Krazy Kunuck for the snow pic's, got any gopro footage?

indigo_wolf - 11-9-2014 at 12:13 PM

90° today. :rolleyes:

Saw Braveheart go subterranean to get out of the heat.

ATB,
Sam

canuck - 12-9-2014 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Windy Heap asked
got any gopro footage?

Here is a clip from the field with 4" of slush You can see why ski bases take a beating - hit the grass/dirt

rectifier - 3-11-2014 at 03:39 PM

First snow out here in the hills, but it all melted by noon. Balmy weather for SK, other than the lack of snowkiting it is pretty nice though!

A little jealous of Calgarians as I was posting October riding photos last year in Calgary and now I am just out here on the farm looking at the sheep eat the green grass... oh well, plenty of winter ahead on the prairies!

mainekite2 - 3-11-2014 at 04:13 PM

Got a foot of snow up by Bangor Sunday, today was the first snowday of the year. It's coming.