Power Kite Forum

Kite Packing: the winder method *Video*

soliver - 2-4-2014 at 09:28 PM

I know everyone has their own method of kite packing, but here's mine. I've seen that riffclown does something similar and Mougl saw me do this last JIBE and told me I ought to make a video showing how I do it,... so there you go.

The video is a tutorial on my preferred method of kite packing with the lines still attached to the kite. With this method, unpacking the kite at the beginning of the session takes about 5 minutes and packing up at the end of your session takes about 10 minutes maximizing your flying time. Furthermore, I have never had an issue of lines tangling with this method. I consider it to be very similar to para-packing in its ability to be very quickly unpacked and set up.

Most of what I used is stuff that comes with any Peter Lynn kite. The winder is what the lines came on, the velcro straps come attached to the PL ground stake, and I have a bunch of pairs of PL KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s. Any of the stuff could be made easily or inexpensively as well.

3shot - 2-5-2014 at 04:31 AM

Always like your vids bro! :thumbup:

ssayre - 2-5-2014 at 05:52 AM

That's very similar to what I do except after I fold the kite in on itself with bridles tucked away, I weight it then walk to the handles, put them in a sock, figure 8 wind to kite, then roll handles and lines up with the kite starting at trailing edge.

bigkid - 2-5-2014 at 08:26 AM

Nice job with the vid.:thumbup:
can you do one with the wind blowing at 15mph?:D

So many different techniques 2 put the kite away and 2 get the kite out. The biggest key is to put it away completely opposite of the way that it is taken out, kind of wax on wax off.

ssayre - 2-5-2014 at 08:34 AM

That's a good looking kite, I like the colors. I would like it if pl would put more color on the kiter side of the kite like the twisters. Here is my 4 meter. (I'm referring to the reactors, I don't think they have much color on the kiter side.)

IMG_0025.jpg - 73kB

Windy Heap - 2-5-2014 at 10:16 AM

Great video, thanks for sharing, I got several great tips from that.

personally I use a sock to put the handles in, THEN do a figure 8 around that, but I like all your velco bands and cinch strap configs.

MyAikenCheeks - 2-5-2014 at 11:08 AM

Great video soliver. A teaching moment for sure.

Spencer came over to OOBE Field about a month ago and I saw him pack this way. I stood there in wonder and amazement watching him do this awesome packing job.

I asked him about it and he said that every thing he does in relation to kite buggy is built around speed of set up and pack up because he has precious little time to buggy so he must optimize his time to get the most of his time on the field flying. Or sumptin similar to that line of thinking.

Since then I've had to scrounge through all of my kit to find winders. 2 so far and a lot of 10 coming from e-bay.

As for Velcro, I've always used velcro since I started, it just made sense. Had a few around to keep computer cables neat and the wife off my back. "Dust collectors".

In the Computer network department of LOWES you can find Velcro on a roll. Gray and black in a blister pack and it's cheap. If you lose one or 2 it's cheap to replace. Several are in the package like 50. What a deal.

For the larger straps I hunt the Thrift Stores and flea markets for medical devices like those boots and braces you wear for a sprain. Chest braces have long ones. Prices of these devices are always cheap, usually not over 5 bucks. Other snap leashes and straps from old back packs and the such. Look at it all for adaption options for the sport.

You can get a QR seat belt from the auto salvage and have your local upholstery shop to put your big snap locks on them to attach to your buggy.

There's a lot of support equipment for your kit out there in bargain land. Seek and ye shall find.

alasdair macleod - 2-5-2014 at 11:34 AM

Great vid but I'll stick with what worS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s for me
I fold kite up and put in rug sack.
Then wind lines round handles
Works for me!
The reason I've done it this way is my first kite was a ozone
That's way it shows it in there manual.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/photos/ali-beag/1232731085...

Real it's down to what works best for you and just stick to it!

soliver - 2-5-2014 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bigkid  
Nice job with the vid.:thumbup:
can you do one with the wind blowing at 15mph?:D

So many different techniques 2 put the kite away and 2 get the kite out. The biggest key is to put it away completely opposite of the way that it is taken out, kind of wax on wax off.

:lol:... I experienced that very thing today!!! Yes, it's a little more difficult when the wind is up, but it's doable. That very reason is why I pull the wingtip into the wind and start folding on the upwind side... Those days are when the weight really plays a key role... My weight that I typically use is a small OR waterproof canoe and kayak bag with 3 small bean bag like sacks filled with rocks (I made myself). Most if the time the 1 big weight is sufficient, but sometimes I need to spread the weights out so I pull out the small individual weights and place them as needed.

soliver - 2-5-2014 at 01:42 PM

Oh yeah, thanks for all the great comments gang!!!

alpal50 - 2-5-2014 at 01:46 PM

I will try this next time I go out. I always end up taking my gloves off trying to attach my lines, which makes them painfully cold for awhile afterwards! Hopefully this will solve that problem

soliver - 2-5-2014 at 03:40 PM

@ Davis (myaikencheeks)... Those are great suggestions, thanks for that. And just FYI too, for the kite strap, most any fabric store will sell webbing by the foot and all the buckles necessary to make a strap... So if you're secure enough in your manhood you can walk into Joanne or Hancook fabrics and walk out with all you need for a kite strap.

MyAikenCheeks - 2-6-2014 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
@ Davis (myaikencheeks)... Those are great suggestions, thanks for that. And just FYI too, for the kite strap, most any fabric store will sell webbing by the foot and all the buckles necessary to make a strap... So if you're secure enough in your manhood you can walk into Joanne or Hancook fabrics and walk out with all you need for a kite strap.

Great suggestions Spencer. No problem with walkin into a Johanne or Handcook or even a Hobby Lobby.:thumbup:

The best store with a girls name I really like walkin into is a Victoria's Secret.:lol:

riffclown - 2-7-2014 at 04:32 PM

Great video. Works for me. I made larger winders so it's easier to capture the handles andwinds faster
http://www.powerkiteforum.com/files.php?pid=256474&aid=5...

RedSky - 2-8-2014 at 07:37 AM

Very useful 'How to' video for foils. :thumbup:

Personally I used to prefer stuffing and spending as little time as possible packing away. Sometimes I don't even bother with the bag, instead opting to gather up the kite in my arms and chucking it straight into the trailer, letting it blow about on the drive home.

The video reminds me. I'm always taken aback when I see other people pack their kites away with meticulous folding with perfect symmetry, ironed flatness and perfect line wraps then topped off with a delicious compression strap.
I'm not sure if this is even good for a kite. Well all I have to say is....don't buy kites from me if your looking for perfection but they are crease free. :)

soliver - 2-8-2014 at 06:46 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the compliments.

The video's actually getting a lot of action on Vimeo. It's been posted (by people other than me) on both the "kite-freaks" group and on the "ikitesurf.com" channel. It's also gotten a lot of "likes" as well.

I'm excited by all of the good feedback I'm getting.

Dayhiker - 10-29-2015 at 08:20 PM

So after 19 months & 44 posts on the forum I realized I needed to stop posting & read more, much more. So I decide to read the forum Kites and Gear, Flying Techniques - Tips & Tricks. All of it, six pages, 285 topics, 3,539 posts. Great stuff & I am learning much I need to know to be able to converse with the other members. Forty-eight topics in, still on page one, I find one of the topics I've read previously which influenced my line management of not only foils but also Rev kites. Soliver, Spencer, shows us his video & as I watch it again I realize that the kite he recently sent to me was stowed using his method. What a gem of wisdom & experience! Thanks! Many other posts I have read in this forum are also answering my questions about kites that will be in my future. Valuable information about actually flying kites will have me on the field with much to consider.

Thanks again, SHBKF

(now back to being quiet & reading)

soliver - 10-30-2015 at 05:37 AM

Wow, Thanks so much!

abkayak - 10-30-2015 at 06:02 AM

normally vids dont play this computer at work from being on websites i dont belong....your Felix, im Oscar
someday i will make a vid of my modified parapack just so you guys can laugh
still had no sound...but bonus pts for Bella Fleck

stevecarson - 11-21-2015 at 12:31 PM

Wow, that's a great video! Thanks for sharing. Will defenitely try it after my next session

Partydk - 3-4-2016 at 12:50 PM

Very nice video, thx for sharing. keep up the good work to make them.!

Best Regards
Kent Ellegaard

Kitesurfing - kiteboard - Kite udstyr

soliver - 3-4-2016 at 07:10 PM

Thanks guys!... looks like we just had the 2 yr anniversary of this video!...

That 4m Core is an excellent kite and its FOR SALE right now! :smilegrin:

FlyGuyFrank - 3-5-2016 at 11:18 AM

Pretty much how I do it. Nicely done video.