Power Kite Forum

adding a kite with a kheo mountainboard

miguel - 1-4-2004 at 06:59 AM

Hi,

I have a kheo mountain board which I've been hill tarmac riding for a while now. But as an amateur kite flier and someone who lives near the beach (Normandy Fr.) I'm keen to add a kite to this setup for beach riding. I've had a go with my friends 2 stack flexifoil but it seemed to only pull well to the extreme sides which didn't really make for good riding in a strong wind. I immediately presume that its completely the wrong type of kite!

My question. Can anyone recomend a cheap kite/control option to get me started. I know a bit about kites and more about mountain boards but very little about combining the 2!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

B

doomwheels - 1-5-2004 at 04:43 AM

You are correct... Flexi stackers are not the best kite for skateboarding. Quadline foils or water launchable tube-style kites are better, but the choice of the two is all a matter of taste.

Kitesurfers like tube kites as the experience is similar to surfing and snowboarding, but many land traction fliers prefer the controllability of foils. Foils are commonly less expensive.

I suggest trying some of each until you find the kite that works best for you. If you don't have the opportunity to test fly and prefer Flexifoil kites, they just so happen to sell both styles and could offer you some advice (check out their site listed in the links page).

Personally, I would get a tube kite as it works well for skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing. Start with a moderate size that is large enough to pull you but so large that you will become overpowered. Plan on getting a larger kite in the future. I like Cabrinha the best (check out their site listed in the links page).

Regarding price... the quality of manufacture, design, life expectancy and performance is all relative to the amount you spend. You will get only what you pay for.

miguel - 1-5-2004 at 11:51 AM

Hi

Thanks for the info and being easy on a newbie too ;-)

I don't see any oportunity for me to test much. no pref for flexifoil... it was just what was to hand!
Do either of them have more of a straight out ahead pull? I'm asking here as I trust the opinion of people who aren't selling me something more.

Also one thing you said made my eyes open wide!
:o

Personally, I would get a tube kite as it works well for skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing

Snowboarding? I've been snowboarding for 9 years now, even managed a couple of seasons and I've seen some stuff but never anyone snowboarding with a kite!

BTW: I was looking round your site which is truly inspiring... and was wondering what you thought to the theory of snowboard bindings and soft boots to build a set of doomwheels. 2 reasons I ask.
1. I've got a spare set of soft bindings :-)
2. It's what I'm most used to on my feet when I'm going fast! I chose a mountain board initially as I like the stance (duck foot on a board).

Unlike a ski option (which I've seen others mention) it shouldn't effect the overall length. For me it could make the build easier as I'd just need a box plate for mountings not the tubes you specify for a blade conversion.
Does it sound a stupid idea?

cheers

M

doomwheels - 1-6-2004 at 02:17 AM

Quote:
Do either of them have more of a straight out ahead pull?
With foils and tube kites you can place the kite at different points in the sky to produce more or less pull. All kites produce the least amount of power when the pilot is traveling straight downwind. Remember that most forms of kite traction is like sailing using the kite to pull the pilot across the wind in upwind or downwind reaches. Doing this produces the most power and speed. To go straight downwind, a pilot would have to perform a series of figure eight manuneuver. This will carry him downwind, but only slowly with a minimal amount of power.
Quote:
Snowboarding?
Check out these pics: http://www.doomwheels.com/gallery/kiteski.php

There are also winter events listed in the CALENDAR section of this forum.
Quote:
...snowboard bindings and soft boots to build a set of doomwheels.
Imagine standing on an iceskate with loosened boot laces. We have found that a skate boot should be stiff and offer plenty of support. Otherwise control and safety will be compromised.

miguel - 1-6-2004 at 03:09 AM

thanks for setting me straight on a few things. saved me a lot of time and money trying to get through the basics. if I ever see you rolling on a beach near me I owe you a beer or 2.

cheers

m

doomwheels - 1-6-2004 at 08:48 AM

Sharing power kiting info is what this forum is all about. Post your questions here anytime and share your own experiences as you get into the sport. This will help others like yourself and we can use more landboarding stories here.

You are lucky to live in a place with so many great beaches. Plenty of frozen lakes during winter in the south too. Good luck and enjoy!

unit m - 2-17-2004 at 01:13 PM

As far as mountainboarding and kites, you might want to talk to Richard Marsh at tradewindkites.com

I know he rides a mountainboard with his kite all the time, all over the place.

A mountainboard is a lot different from a skateboard too, so if you judge by the way a skateboard handles it's quite differently. I'm not too familiar with the basilk or the Flyer from KHEO, but I know the MBS/Maxtrack new comp 16 Pro has a good clearance for kites.