Power Kite Forum

Spam bots

joedy - 1-11-2013 at 08:33 AM

Is there's any way that the spam bots can be eradicated?

It seems like lately there's been an onslaught of them and the posts are just plain gibberish.

Can new account sign ups be given a human approval? This would at least put some control over it.

-joedy

erratic winds - 1-11-2013 at 09:47 AM

anything is possible, but our godmin mr. doomwheels isn't on every day, and many of the other more complicated solutions are not free.

What would you rather deal with, occasional spam post that you don't have to read, or a new user who is excited about the sport who has their spirit watered down because they had to wait 4 days to get access to here?

zero gee - 1-11-2013 at 10:23 AM

Damn spam bots! I don't care about a few spam myself. But, I would be worried that it escalates though. Foilzone is currently shut down since getting spammed with 3 to 6 pages of spam a day. :shocked2: Who knows how bad it got over there before they shut it down. Or did the amount of spam finally bring it all down??

Having to weed through 6 pages of spam to find the legit posts would start to suck too. As well as cleaning all that up on a regular basis.

Snake - 1-11-2013 at 12:08 PM

Maybe we should have some members become admins so they can get rid of it all. There has to be someone besides me that comes to this site every day and would delete spam for the webmaster.

joedy - 1-11-2013 at 12:36 PM

I agree with Snake. We have enough regular visitors who might be willing to help.

-joedy

Bladerunner - 1-11-2013 at 06:23 PM

Spam is like Graffiti. If you get rid of it as fast as it goes up people quit waistng time trying.

I thought a solution like Snake described was come to a while ago Deanoxo and ??? got some level of control , I think ????