Power Kite Forum

HELP - newbie needs advice

lenpegg - 8-17-2003 at 11:52 AM

i have just purchased a Thunderbird 300 but am struggling with it.

Firstly I am not sure if it is set up correctly as the instructions relate to a 4 line kite not 2 line.

I don't even know which is the top.

I can't get it to fly at all and am becoming very disheartened

Any advice appreciated !!!!

doomwheels - 8-17-2003 at 01:53 PM

With no idea of your experience with kites, I'll just start from the beginning...

The opening of the kite's cells (where the air enters and fills the kite) is the front of the kite or rather the kite's leading edge.

The side with all the lines (bridles) faces the pilot. These lines should divide into 2 groups each ending at one point where the fly lines connect.

Assuming your fly lines are of equal length, you should connect your fly lines to the kite's bridles and unroll the lines completely to the handles. Then stretch out the kite allowing the cells to fill with air (leading edge pointing skyward).

Return to your handles and pull both lines together rising the kite into the air. Pull left - the kite loops left. Pull right - the kite loops right.
Land the kite by flying it off to one side and allow it to drift to the ground.

Be advised that the quality of fun you will experience flying your kite is directly linked to the quality of the kite itself. There are many foils on the market so if you are having trouble with the Thunderbird, I suggest shopping for a better kite before giving up on kiting altogether.

Happy to answer more questions as they arise.
BC

lenpegg - 8-19-2003 at 08:48 AM

Thanks for the advice I am off to Castlegregory in Eire tomorrow so will try my new found knowledge there !!

doomwheels - 8-19-2003 at 11:47 PM

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Remember to ask other kite fliers for advise if there are any around. Most kiters love helping others.

There are also some good books available. Though many books are for sport kites, much of the info may apply to your kite being a 2 liner. Here are a couple links from the US and UK:
http://www.gombergkites.com/book.html
http://www.highwaymen.demon.co.uk/prices/videos.htm

Have fun,
BC