Power Kite Forum

Help Picking Out a Kite

FinalForce - 5-1-2005 at 06:14 PM

Hey im new to Traction Kiting and jumping, I weigh about 170 pounds and can spend up to 250$ on the kite. Where I am the winds are moderate. I want to get big air, i was looking at the beamer 5.0 but if you guys know of any other kites for 250 that perform better under the same conditions please tell.

FinalForce - 5-1-2005 at 07:39 PM

left out some stuff
Ive so far seen the beamer 5.0 for 240$ and Ballistic 5.0 for 255$ and radsail 5.0 for 300$ which one provides the most lift and how is the beamers lift is it more then the ballistic because the radsail is kinda out of my price range.
which is a better kite the beamer or ballistic and also the ballistic offers a bar. How does the 3 line bar work, do you pull down a bar
that works as a accelerator like in kitesurfing, also what is better for jumping bar or handels.

kchunks - 5-2-2005 at 09:24 AM

I believe that you're talkng about a depowerbale kite when you talk about pulling on the bar as an accelerator and you won't touch a depower kite with the amount you're talking about (I think just about all of them start around $500). Most people prefer handles for jumping. The beamer does not provide a lot of lift, but people still jump with it. It does provide a lot of pull for a buggy or landboard, though. I am not familiar with the ballistic (sorry). I am told that the radsail pro has more lift than the beamer. Make sure you get a "pro" model when looking at the radsail. Another thing to consider is size. 5 meters is great for jumping, but bad for learning. It is a lot of kite. I've got about 50 pounds on you and there are times when I just can't fly the 5 meter (unless I want to visit the E.R.). Invento-HQ (the company that makes the beamer) has a new kite out called the crossfire. I haven't actually seen one yet, but a lot of people said that they have more lift than the beamer. Might cost a little more, too. Sorry, not much help, but it gives you a few more things to think about.

DaveH - 5-2-2005 at 11:56 AM

I seccond that. I love my Beamer 5m, but its no beginner kite. Start with something smaller. You'll need it for high winds anyway.

FinalForce - 5-2-2005 at 01:31 PM

thanks guys, i need something that doesnt need to much wind, i understand what your saying about the bigger kites. Do you think the radsail pro 5.0 is to much. ANd is it a lot more lift , because it is a 60$ difference from the beamer. Because I want the kite really only for jumping and i want to get decent air. Of course ima fly it around and get the hang of it but after them ima try to jump.

FinalForce - 5-2-2005 at 01:40 PM

Also the only reason I am trying to get a bigger kite is because i dont wanna grow out of it or get bored of it. Also what provides more lift if you guys know the radsail pro 4.0 or beamer 5.0, also what is a overall better kite and easier to fly.